The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've honestly no idea, hard to keep an interest without getting to games, apart from when the games on, if that makes sense.

Surprised Obika isn't playing more, to me he's your best CF by a distance.

Obika is our highest scorer with 2 League goals however (and I know Munoz and others will not like this), I think his overall play is poor and chances to goals ratio is poor. But he scores now and then so I have to keep my mouth shut.

We have scored only 7 League goals all season and even Hamilton have scored double that so not scoring is out main problem. We have the 4th best defence in the League equal with Aberdeen but hopeless in front of goal.  I reckon if we had a Nicky Clark or Stevie May we would be far higher up the League. We did sign Kristian Dennis who has a good scoring history but many fans have written him off after starting just two games even though it took Jon 9 games before he found the net. Not saying Dennis will be better but can understand why Goody had to look at alternatives.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Obika is our highest scorer with 2 League goals however (and I know Munoz and others will not like this), I think his overall play is poor and chances to goals ratio is poor.

He averages less shots per game than Erwin and Morais this season, yet scores more.

Don't have Dennis included yet to compare him.

33 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did he? Ok, that explains it.

Just hope we can get a run of games now. I know it's been stop-start for everyone, but we seem to cope especially badly with the broken momentum.

25 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I didn't know that either, that accounts for some of Jim's tinkering I suppose.

This article was from the other week. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/jim-goodwin-hails-jon-obikas-23010986

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He averages less shots per game than Erwin and Morais this season, yet scores more.

Don't have Dennis included yet to compare him.

Just for context, Morias basically just shoots regardless of which direction he's facing, so his stats will be something of an outlier.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just for context, Morias basically just shoots regardless of which direction he's facing, so his stats will be something of an outlier.

Out of Morais, Obika and Erwin, Morais actually has the best percentage for getting shots on target (35.7, 33.3, 28.6), but aye, his attacking figures are dreadful.

Morais comes out as one of the worst strikers to have played over 800 mins since 2016/17, and thats Morais last season aswell.

Maybe harsh since hes not an out and out CF though.

Fwiw I like Morais. He gives 100% and harries defenders all game. If he ever learns to score he will be a major asset. He is also a very unlucky striker, has hit the woodwork a few times and brought out a couple of wonder saves as well. I suspect defenders don’t enjoy playing against him

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

Fwiw I like Morais. He gives 100% and harries defenders all game. If he ever learns to score he will be a major asset. He is also a very unlucky striker, has hit the woodwork a few times and brought out a couple of wonder saves as well. I suspect defenders don’t enjoy playing against him

Definitely gives his all, but unfortunately strikers are usually rated on their ability to convert a decent percentage of chances.  Tbf to him and the other forwards,  they haven't been supplied with great ammunition this season. 

New 2.5 year deal for Erhahon, great piece of business by Goodwin et al. Really showed why he was/is highly rated since he came into the team and probably been our most consistent performer this season. Hopefully over these 3.5 years we never see him return to left back or left wing back as that was a move well on the way to ruining him as a player.

18 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

I absolutely loved big Anton, and still do. Just a nice, nice guy. 

He's a great guy, always really positive and had a lot of time for the fans, particularly kids.

He did us a turn as well. He was a calm and experienced head at the back, which we really needed. He was immense in his debut against Celtic and away to Motherwell when we won also stands out. 

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

He's a great guy, always really positive and had a lot of time for the fans, particularly kids.

He did us a turn as well. He was a calm and experienced head at the back, which we really needed. He was immense in his debut against Celtic and away to Motherwell when we won also stands out. 

He was brilliant when he came on to steady the ship against Dundee United in the playoff as well. He did us a great turn actually for a player who couldn't run anymore.

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

New 2.5 year deal for Erhahon, great piece of business by Goodwin et al. Really showed why he was/is highly rated since he came into the team and probably been our most consistent performer this season. Hopefully over these 3.5 years we never see him return to left back or left wing back as that was a move well on the way to ruining him as a player.

Really good news this. Will surely only get better the more he plays and matures. 

We've beaten Aberdeen in the league cup; our captain has shaved his head and switched to centre half amid suspicions that his legs might have gone.

That's all the omens I need. Just hope fans are allowed in the grounds by the time we win the cup.

Edited by Coventry Saint