The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Disappointing from Magennis but seems to be the way with footballers now: a bid comes in which the club refuses, you say you want to go and the club is left with no option. 

Nursed back to fitness by us once again. Least he could have done was see out his contract until the end of the season. 

Cheerio.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

What pisses me off is that I can handle being shite on the park. We've been shite on and off, mostly on, for large stretches of my life. That's just a game. But I hate our club being rubbish off the field: that's people's lives and jobs and reputations. Communication is easy. Not being dicks is easy. So how do we manage to foul this up time and again?

I was so happy when football came back. It was a shot of normality that I really needed. But we keep finding ways to completely f**k it up.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Disappointing from Magennis but seems to be the way with footballers now: a bid comes in which the club refuses, you say you want to go and the club is left with no option. 

Nursed back to fitness by us once again. Least he could have done was see out his contract until the end of the season. 

Cheerio.

People close to the boy saying it's categorically untrue.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I read that too, but there must have been a point when he thought, 5 year deal, (hibs might get 2 out of him) double my wages, and said yes. Couldn't see the club forcing him.

Edited by monthelie'

Bad as we are on the pitch, if it reflected our off field performance in the last 18 months we'd be in the Juniors.

Absolute fucking shambles of a club right now. What purpose does the petted lip 'we tried to keep him but he wanted to leave....boo hoo hoo' pish serve anyway? The boy has left for his own reasons, whatever they may be. Thank him for his services and efforts in a dignified manner and move on.

St. Mirren FC are a professional football club, it's high time they started conducting their public affairs in the manner of one. Top 4 and Top 6 was always very much tongue in cheek from the supporters perspective (hence my updating of the thread title) but I get a lot of stick from our own fans for historically saying Fitzy ought to shut the f**k up and get on with it 'och, he's a dreamer, let him dream', folk will tell you...but shit like this is WHY I say it. 

The Kearney shambles and the way that played out in the media was another example of this. Rather than going for easy targets like Kearney and Magennis, why not dig the process that allowed a game to be played with no goalkeepers when it clearly should have been called off? Of course, because that would risk sanctions. Kearney and Magennis can't hurt us when we get lippy but the SFA/SPFL can.

Fucked right off with this club just now.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So why has he left then? The club can't force him to leave at this point anymore than they can force him to sign the new contract. He could have been here till the end of the season if that's what he wanted.

I read that too, but there must have been a point when he thought, 5 year deal, (hibs might get 2 out of him) double my wages, and said yes. Couldn't see the club forcing him.

And who can blame him for that. The board must be well aware of the pull that Jack Ross will have for the likes of Magennis, Morgan etc. given the 18 months he had with them at Saints. If he did decide he wanted to leave following interest from Hibs then it’s completely understandable. There was really no need for either of the statements Saints released over the past week. Today’s statement should’ve been to wish him well with the move and thank him for his efforts and transfer fee he has brought in. All the board have now done is release two calamitous statements and create friction between them and the manager.