The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm not in the minority, I think it's a poor move from the club.  Sure from a footballing sense it probably makes sense or at the very least it's no skin off our nose, but they must know the feeling of the fans and it's shooting themselves in the foot massively.

Loaning a player to a team who were literally mocking us on their official Twitter in order to curry favour with Hibs days ago is a poor move.  Sometimes the clubs have to think about fan reaction and they've ignored them here.  

But, as I said he's there now.  I hope he gets it right up Hibs.

I know I’m being a bit awkward here, but in quite a few games this season we’ve named two keepers on the bench. You don’t happen to have another couple you could lend us to tide us over?

Just now, AllyM said:

I know I’m being a bit awkward here, but in quite a few games this season we’ve named two keepers on the bench. You don’t happen to have another couple you could lend us to tide us over?

Afraid not, but Eddie Kurskis should be a free agent.

Just now, FTOF said:

FWIW, as much as I found the "Heartbreaker" thing amusing, it should never have been put out on an official release by the club.

That was my thoughts the club are playing right into Hearts fans. Have experienced Hearts fans in Edinburgh over 1986. It amazes me how stirred up they are. It was in their own hands ffs. 

8 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Loaning a player to a team who were literally mocking us on their official Twitter in order to curry favour with Hibs days ago is a poor move.  Sometimes the clubs have to think about fan reaction and they've ignored them here. 

:lol:

As I said, annoyed by literally everything.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

:lol:

As I said, annoyed by literally everything.

It’s easy to do though. I was raging about the injustice of the forthcoming Celtic game last night. Conveniently ignoring that if it had been played on schedule, we’d likely as not be nursing a 0-3 result already.

1 minute ago, AllyM said:

It’s easy to do though.

Sure, but you look at our club's response.

Have we petitioned for a temporary change in the rules just to suit us alone? No.
Did we claim it was a conspiracy at the SPFL to f**k us over? No.
Have we rallied a litany of sycophants in the "meedja" to press our case for being hard done? No.
Did we lodge a legal complaint in the courts? No.

The response to the bad luck we faced has been met with a level of dignity, something that cannot be said from the Edinburgh Championship club.

19 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Why does Goodwin insist on playing Sheron when we have far better cover for that position.  Every game he has played I have seen nothing to suggest Sheron should be in the team. What's going on ? 

We don't see what he sees in training, so I'm guessing there is something that he sees there. If you are asking me should he persist with him? No, I do not think he should, but I'm not privy to his team talk and strategy.

23 hours ago, FTOF said:

FWIW, as much as I found the "Heartbreaker" thing amusing, it should never have been put out on an official release by the club.

23 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

That was my thoughts the club are playing right into Hearts fans. Have experienced Hearts fans in Edinburgh over 1986. It amazes me how stirred up they are. It was in their own hands ffs. 

Nah, I think football's all about rivalry and needling fans of other teams. We were also playing Hibs, and therefore advertising our PPV game to their fans. I thought it was excellent marketing. However, I'd have expected Hearts to refuse us the loan player, and as I have already said, if the shoe was on the other foot and Hearts were mocking us and then asked us for a favour, I'd have expected the club to tell them to GTF.

I fully understand why Hearts fans are livid, I would be too if I followed them. 

14 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I agree, but money talks.  

They're not giving us the lad for hee haw.  Anyone seen how much the 3 game loan deal is costing the club? 

I think there is more important pressing matters.  Why was yesterday's game played. There was no training on Friday. We were informed on FRIDAY NIGHT to play an outfield player the game is being played. This is beyond belief.  Next Goodwin needs to drop Sheron immediately.  

18 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Radio Scotland got it right yesterday.  Its Friday night Celtic play Rangers tomorrow.  Celtic have no goalkeeper due to Covid19  there is no chance that game would have went ahead. 

Well the precedent has now been set! 

Two piss poor performances in a row. Really not acceptable. If we play like that against Celtic we could lose by 6 or 7.

Let's hope Shaughnessy doesn't get sent off or injured again this season. He has been a massive loss.

Gagging for Flynn and Magennis to return. Erhahon has surely gave Jim a bit of a selection headache. Clueless as to why Cammy isn't starting either. I respect and trust the managers judgement, you'd expect Sheron to start against Celtic as this is the sort of game a player like him is needed. He'll be a red card waiting to happen though.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

We don't see what he sees in training, so I'm guessing there is something that he sees there. If you are asking me should he persist with him? No, I do not think he should, but I'm not privy to his team talk and strategy.

I've always found that a weak argument, if he can't reproduce it on a match day it's irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

I've always found that a weak argument, if he can't reproduce it on a match day it's irrelevant.

Oh, listen, I agree that if you don't perform on the day then no amount of training ground skills will paper over those cracks.

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess mind, that Goodwin must have a reason to persist with Sheron. It's not like he is a highly rated player, or one on big wages, that would mean he has to start games to fulfil a specific loan agreement so perhaps when put through his paces at Ralston he's doing everything that's asked of him.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

Oh, listen, I agree that if you don't perform on the day then no amount of training ground skills will paper over those cracks.

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess mind, that Goodwin must have a reason to persist with Sheron. It's not like he is a highly rated player, or one on big wages, that would mean he has to start games to fulfil a specific loan agreement so perhaps when put through his paces at Ralston he's doing everything that's asked of him.

McPherson is not just better he is massively better than Sheron. As for yesterday's performance I'm putting that down to the massive disruption 24 hours before the game. It should not have gone ahead. 

I think there is more important pressing matters.  Why was yesterday's game played. There was no training on Friday. We were informed on FRIDAY NIGHT to play an outfield player the game is being played. This is beyond belief.  Next Goodwin needs to drop Sheron immediately.  

The clubs would have known this was a possibility before they agreed to start the season. As long as you have enough players available then you'll be expected to play. Aberdeen were being expected to play without eight first team players before the Scottish Government stuck their oar in to make a point.