The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I know he's not the greatest, but I think Zlamal was about as good as we were going to get at this point and at such short notice. He's experienced and has played plenty of games at our level. I'm sure it's an expense we could have done without, but there wasn't much else we could do and I think this is good work by Jim and the club.

I'm also glad we just got on with it and dealt with the had we were given. No histrionics, no tear filled statements. We are some club.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
Does signing Zamal mean we can't sign the left back we are interested in?

Why it's a 3 game emergency loan.

Two keepers have the virus and as yet we have no idea how it may impact on them. No guarantee either will be available in 7 days time or Urminsky won't test positive. We may still need a keeper for a longer time.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Hearts twitter has imploded as expected. 

Its going to be absolutely sensational if he keeps a clean sheet and you win, btw, especially since Budge spent all Summer claiming they'd only look out for Hearts from now on.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its going to be absolutely sensational if he keeps a clean sheet and you win, btw, especially since Budge spent all Summer claiming they'd only look out for Hearts from now on.

Now that he's actually there, why would him keeping a clean sheet and winning against Hibs disappoint Hearts fans? 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Loads and loads of FoH subscriptions getting cancelled threats just now. 

You love to see it. I mean, all that's happened is we've took the lad on loan for a couple of games... minimal effort on our part has caused maximum effect. 

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

Because everything annoys them. Literally everything.

I'm a Hearts fan.  I think the club have misjudged the feeling of the support massively tbh.  But he's there now, I'd prefer him to play well and get it up Hibs if he has to play. 

14 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm a Hearts fan.  I think the club have misjudged the feeling of the support massively tbh.  But he's there now, I'd prefer him to play well and get it up Hibs if he has to play. 

It seems, Tony, you represent a tiny minority of fans.

Personally, if I was to look at this from an objective stand point, Hearts and/or their fans have absolutely nothing to gain from complaining about this. Zlamal is someone you'd be happy to get off your books as (a) you have Gordon and (b) he's a bit pants and having him in the shop window does no harm. You aren't playing so it's not like he's being taken away from first team duties. The clubs are in different leagues (you might have noticed.. 😉) so it really makes no difference to Hearts the St Mirren result and finally the club only looks small minded if they actively block this instead, looking magnanimous for acquiescing to the request for help. There is the also side dish of the possibility of him derailing your derby rivals (admittedly slim) chances at winning the league.

Certainly for social media (and yes, that isn't a true picture of the support) there is little if any actual awareness of the situation and apart from the last Hibs based comment, seems have filtered into the utter seething and blinkered hatred that has spewed forth.

I admit to not being surprised at this, as I've lived in Edinburgh and had to face the myopic idiocy of constant 1986 greeting whenever I've mentioned the team I've supported.

Edited by Ric

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

It seems, Tony, you represent a tiny minority of fans.

Personally, if I was to look at this from an objective stand point, Hearts and/or their fans have absolutely nothing to gain from complaining about this. Zlamal is someone you'd be happy to get off your books as (a) you have Gordon and (b) he's a bit pants and having him in the shop window does no harm. You aren't playing so it's not like he's being taken away from first team duties. The clubs are in different leagues (you might have noticed.. 😉) so it really makes no difference to Hearts the St Mirren result and finally the club only looks small minded if they actively block this instead, looking magnanimous for acquiescing to the request for help. There is the also side dish of the possibility of him derailing your derby rivals (admittedly slim) chances at winning the league.

Certainly for social media (and yes, that isn't a true picture of the support) there is little if any actual awareness of the situation and apart from the last Hibs based comment, seems have filtered into the utter seething and blinkered hatred that has spewed forth.

I admit to not being surprised at this, as I've lived in Edinburgh and had to face the myopic idiocy of constant 1986 greeting whenever I've mentioned the team I've supported.

I'm not in the minority, I think it's a poor move from the club.  Sure from a footballing sense it probably makes sense or at the very least it's no skin off our nose, but they must know the feeling of the fans and it's shooting themselves in the foot massively.

Loaning a player to a team who were literally mocking us on their official Twitter in order to curry favour with Hibs days ago is a poor move.  Sometimes the clubs have to think about fan reaction and they've ignored them here.  

But, as I said he's there now.  I hope he gets it right up Hibs.

Edited by Tony Wonder

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm not in the minority, I think it's a poor move from the club.  Sure from a footballing sense it probably makes sense or at the very least it's not akin off our nose, but they must know the feeling of the fans and it's shooting themselves in the foot massively.

Loaning a player to a team who were literally mocking us on their official Twitter in order to curry favour with Hibs days ago is a poor move.  Sometimes the clubs have to think about fan reaction and they've ignored them here.  

But, as I said he's there now.  I hope he gets it right up Hibs.

FWIW, as much as I found the "Heartbreaker" thing amusing, it should never have been put out on an official release by the club.