The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Is 1 goal every 5 games not a pretty poor return for a striker?
7-8 goals in an SPL season.

Given only 3 players* outwith the old firm managed double figures last season, that would seem pretty decent.

*i think?

Is 1 goal every 5 games not a pretty poor return for a striker?
7-8 goals in an SPL season.

10 goals in 36 appearances in his first season with Swindon and 12 in 35 in his second. Half decent.

6 in 31 in his last season with them as they finished bottom of League One.

7 in 41 in his first season with an Oxford side that finished 16th.

Can't believe we have signed Foley and some folk on twitter are moaning that he is a centre mid [emoji85].

Considering Kellerman & Tansey aren't going to feature and McGinn is a bit injury prone just now we do need him. It seems Goodwin thinks he'll bring the best out of others, good experienced pro.

Remember Ferdinand didn't play much last season but was brilliant in the dressing room.

Things coming together nicely now

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can't believe we have signed Foley and some folk on twitter are moaning that he is a centre mid emoji85.png.

Considering Kellerman & Tansey aren't going to feature and McGinn is a bit injury prone just now we do need him. It seems Goodwin thinks he'll bring the best out of others, good experienced pro.

Remember Ferdinand didn't play much last season but was brilliant in the dressing room.

Things coming together nicely now

I think Stephen McGinn is going to find his game time severely restricted if he ever does get fit again. It doesn't look to me like Jim Goodwin holds much faith in him. I suspect Foley and Magennis will probably be the regular central midfielders with Andreau playing in front of them.  Flynn and Djorkaeff can also cover the centre or play out wide which would provide competition for places and a bit of depth to the squad. 

It still doesn't look like a particularly good midfield to me but we'll get a better idea when match starts tomorrow. 

26 minutes ago, Drooper said:

No left back today according to our man with his flappy lug to the ground (McG).

There’s Heckingbottom’s team talk sorted then... run like fcuk at the eighteen year old midfielder they continue to throw under the bus by shoehorning in at left back.

Edited by pozbaird

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There’s Heckingbottom’s team talk sorted then... run like fcuk at the eighteen year old midfielder they continue to throw under the bus by shoehorning in at left back.

Aye.

I don't doubt they have been trying to bring someone in, but this is probably our area of greatest weakness, so is there to be targeted.

30 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I think Stephen McGinn is going to find his game time severely restricted if he ever does get fit again. It doesn't look to me like Jim Goodwin holds much faith in him. I suspect Foley and Magennis will probably be the regular central midfielders with Andreau playing in front of them.  Flynn and Djorkaeff can also cover the centre or play out wide which would provide competition for places and a bit of depth to the squad. 

It still doesn't look like a particularly good midfield to me but we'll get a better idea when match starts tomorrow. 

Agree it gives us options, and I'd personally be reluctant to see Flynn pushed out wide, and would be tempted by a mobile, niggly Foley-Flynn midfield base. That said, Flynn covers so much ground, he might do that 'wide-ish' role well, too. 

I know people keep saying Magennis needs to play in the centre, but managers keep on not playing him there.

Edit: re McGinn, I think it's clearly his mobility that's starting to let him down. If we are to use him sparingly, you'd assume he'd be getting dropped for games against better, faster teams. After seeing Motherwell vs Morton, the idea of their pacey players running at some of our guys gave me the fear. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know people keep saying Magennis needs to play in the centre, but managers keep on not playing him there.

Magennis remains a bit of an enigma for me.

I'm still not clear as to what his best position is. He is a player who shows flashes of brilliance from any area of the pitch, but can equally be largely anonymous in games.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons that he hasn't attracted the attention of the likes of Morgan and John McGinn. It was clear what their best positions were, and, thus, their key strengths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at Kyle. As you say, I don't think he has always been played to his strengths. A fit Kyle Magennis is the type of player a manager could build his team around, but he has to be utilised to his greatest effect, and I'm still not 100% sure how that should be done (that's no doubt why I am just a fanny on a forum as opposed to a fitba manager).

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I get what you are saying but we had 4 on the books almost constantly last season.

Cooke, Mullen, NBM, Jackson

Then replaced NBM with Nazon

Most squads will go with 4 strikers on their books at this level, I feel. If you go with 3 and lose one you're in a bit of bother.

We are going with 4 - Mullen, Andreu, Obiku and Cooke.

It is just that we've lost Cooke for the season already, Andreu stopped scoring in 2017, Obiku hasn't arrived yet and Mullen only scores against teams from Dundee.

10 minutes ago, AllyM said:

It is just that we've lost Cooke for the season already, Andreu stopped scoring in 2017, Obiku hasn't arrived yet and Mullen only scores against teams from Dundee.

Andreu is by no description I've ever seen, a striker.

He's an attacking mid at very best.

41 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I'm still not clear as to what his best position is. He is a player who shows flashes of brilliance from any area of the pitch, but can equally be largely anonymous in games.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons that he hasn't attracted the attention of the likes of Morgan and John McGinn. It was clear what their best positions were, and, thus, their key strengths.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at Kyle. As you say, I don't think he has always been played to his strengths. A fit Kyle Magennis is the type of player a manager could build his team around, but he has to be utilised to his greatest effect, and I'm still not 100% sure how that should be done (that's no doubt why I am just a fanny on a forum as opposed to a fitba manager).

Yes the reason he attracted the same attention is he's been out injured so much. I've heard several scouts talk of him highly. Needs game time to show that he has it. 

Would like to see Magennis pushed up into a number 10 type role to play off a striker like McLean did near the end of his Saints career. I reckon he could do a lot of damage.

Our record with him in the team compared to without him last season was night and day.

34 minutes ago, AllyM said:

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Andreu is by no description I've ever seen, a striker.

He's an attacking mid at very best.

Agreed. A ‘number 10’ at best, but certainly not a striker.

Goodwin’s interview also makes that clear, when he says Mullen is the only fit striker.