The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The League Cup group stages are, sadly, pre-season warm-ups. Pre-season warm-ups shouldn’t be League Cup games, they should be exercises against Rotherham, Stirling Albion, or, fcuk, Coleraine.... but that’s what they are. One of only two competitions a club like ours can win (and has). A competition that has given a club like ours, and others like ours, a shot at glory, of a lifetime of memories, and for young fans, maybe the only time they’ll see a St Mirren captain lift a major trophy at Hampden. To effectively relegate one of our ‘treble’ to this pre-season utter shitfest is deplorable. Having said that, with all due respect to the other teams, we were handed a group draw that we should have been able to navigate our way out of, somehow, even by shitfesting our way to grinding wins. The fact that we totally fcuked it up isn’t the fault of the shite format and time of year it is now played - it’s completely our fault for being something of a crisis club.... again.

Every pre-season, every single season, since I first went to a Saints game in 1977, I harboured visions of us lifting the Scottish or League Cup. Thank goodness for 2013 wiping out 2010, because now, every pre-season I merely harbour visions of us avoiding relegation by the thickness of a skittery jobbie’s skin.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Yeah. I have a good laugh at all the current knickerwetting when you compare our current situation against the early/mid nineties where every second week the bank were a couple of hours away from pulling the plug, and directors were re-mortgaging their houses to pay the bills.

Before anyone tries to deny that this happened, I know one of the directors who had to do this, so I had an inside track as to these events. We are very, very lucky to have a club just now.

So forgive me if I don't join in the masses roaring and greeting because we're several players short, four weeks before the transfer window shuts.

Big George Campbell paid for Mark Yardley’s transfer fee with his good lady’s pension if memory serves me correct. 

The younger generation have no idea how close we were to going out of business.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Big George Campbell paid for Mark Yardley’s transfer fee with his good lady’s pension if memory serves me correct. 

The younger generation have no idea how close we were to going out of business.

So much entitlement and impatient attiude in younger generation rather than appreciation, however we need younger supporters to keep on following the club.

Maybe a little bit of perspective and respect  on all sides from us that are a bit older to the younger generation needed too as some young people have a good grasp on football tactics and finances etc.

On 30/07/2019 at 10:29, djchapsticks said:

Wondering now if the rumoured Jordan White interest is a direct result of Cooke being injured.

That way, we bring in cover for Cody and don't deviate from whoever we are targeting already.

Just guessing.

Thnik White may have been a target whether Cooke had been  injured or not,  as he is an experienced player who has scored over 100 career goals and Im sure when I was watching Inverness play on tv last season Jim Goodwin  was at the game singing his praises saying how good a player he was.

Edited by bigbulllywee

The only thing stopping my generation being exactly like today’s brand of Pamper soiling, ungrateful moaning faced basturts’ is simple - the internet hadn’t been invented. If it had, guaranteed it would have been awash with threads saying a midfield of Fitzpatrick, Stark & Richardson wasn’t good enough.... mind you, in any ‘general nonsense’ section, the ‘Thatcher Get Tae Fcuk’ thread would have been a belter. On balance, thank Christ the internet wasn’t around.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The only thing stopping my generation being exactly like today’s brand of Pamper soiling, ungrateful moaning faced basturts’ is simple - the internet hadn’t been invented. If it had, guaranteed it would have been awash with threads saying a midfield of Fitzpatrick, Stark & Richardson wasn’t good enough.... mind you, in any ‘general nonsense’ section, the ‘Thatcher Get Tae Fcuk’ thread would have been a belter. On balance, thank Christ the internet wasn’t around.

At least we can be grateful that Thatcher died in the internet era. (A sentence which also works without the words 'in the internet era').

First three games are against teams better than us. The "easiest" is the first against Hibs but it is away so we are still big underdogs. These three teams are better than us now and would still be better than us if we'd loaded the team with mediocrity just to get the job done. We might or might not pick up some points or even a win from these, but against the odds either way.

The first game to really target is the away game against Livingston exactly a month from now. If, by then, we have bedded in a few of the better targets we've been aiming for, or else acquired some newly available targets who have run out of options when the English window closes next week, then we will be in a much better place than if we'd just signed bodies to make up the numbers. From everything I'm hearing and reading - that is the plan. Let's see if it works.

Whatever the strategy, you'd assume we'd have the full set of players we want fully bedded in by the 14th of September (more than 6 weeks from now). We will only have played 4 league games by then. 

8 hours ago, jaybeee said:

These matches .........................yes should have been fairly easily won, but hey we are st mirren, we do not do things normally we are excellent in dragging defeat from the jaws of victory we are great at losing games we should win, I remember a  Raith Rovers game, god knows how long ago, first game of the season in Kirkcaldy, 7.0 if I remember right; in tears I was as I have been many a time watching our lot, but isn't it just loverly when things click 😄.  Yes we were rubbish but JG was always going to take his time to get the players he needs to do what we want and if truth be told it takes a few weeks to get it together so bloody what......... tighten up those pampers and COYS

That 7-0 trouncing was the first season back in the 2nd teir. I remember it well. Campbell Money, Norrie McWhirter, Paul Lambert, Kenny McDowell, and Barry Lavety were in that squad. It was humiliating at the time but much of that Raith Rovers side would take them into Europe a few years later. 

You're right ofcourse that even the great  St Mirren teams often had a knack of embarrassing us in a one off game but only the really poor St Mirren sides would suffer four embarrassing performances in a row. 

2 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

That 7-0 trouncing was the first season back in the 2nd teir. I remember it well. Campbell Money, Norrie McWhirter, Paul Lambert, Kenny McDowell, and Barry Lavety were in that squad. It was humiliating at the time but much of that Raith Rovers side would take them into Europe a few years later. 

You're right ofcourse that even the great  St Mirren teams often had a knack of embarrassing us in a one off game but only the really poor St Mirren sides would suffer four embarrassing performances in a row. 

I remember the journey through to that game and all the chat in the car was about how we were going to smash that league and romp back to the title.

Most of us had never experienced anything other than top flight football so the prospect of a 2nd tier game was a novelty and we were all very excited about it.

Even at half time when we were 0-3 down all the half time talk was about if we could nick an early goal in the second half we could still turn it round.

It was one of the most complete football displays I've ever seen. Raith were absolutely fantastic that day and scored some belters.

It was a fairly quiet car on the way home 😂

I remember the journey through to that game and all the chat in the car was about how we were going to smash that league and romp back to the title.
Most of us had never experienced anything other than top flight football so the prospect of a 2nd tier game was a novelty and we were all very excited about it.
Even at half time when we were 0-3 down all the half time talk was about if we could nick an early goal in the second half we could still turn it round.
It was one of the most complete football displays I've ever seen. Raith were absolutely fantastic that day and scored some belters.
It was a fairly quiet car on the way home [emoji23]

I can also remember thinking that we’d turn it around after half time.

Raith Rovers had a great side though, Colin Cameron and Peter Hetherston in midfield, Dalziel and Brewster up front, Nicholl and Dennis in defence and Jason Dair ran amok on the wing.

To be fair though, we did challenge for promotion and only narrowly missed out to Kilmarnock in the end.

It after that season that things really went downhill.

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Raith Rovers had a great side though, Colin Cameron and Peter Hetherston in midfield, Dalziel and Brewster up front, Nicholl and Dennis in defence and Jason Dair ran amok on the wing.

To be fair though, we did challenge for promotion and only narrowly missed out to Kilmarnock in the end.

That race for second place was ridiculously tight. Possibly the effects of two points for a win.

image.png.8b285d542c743ae104d4f1faf4ed65f5.png

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

And Killie have quite brilliantly been a top flight side ever since. Some achievement when you consider the only other sides that haven't been relegated in that time are Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell

And even then Aberdeen and Motherwell both only survived on technicalities because of Falkirk.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And Killie have quite brilliantly been a top flight side ever since. Some achievement when you consider the only other sides that haven't been relegated in that time are Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell*

And even then Aberdeen and Motherwell both only survived on technicalities because of Falkirk.

*And Rangers.

Bit harsh to blame the younger fans for all the knickerwetting. Most of the nastiest and pathetic vitriol I've seen, especially on Twitter, has been from middle aged men.

Eta- and B&W army is now basically only seething middle aged men, and it's an absolute cesspit. 

Edited by GAD

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And Killie have quite brilliantly been a top flight side ever since. Some achievement when you consider the only other sides that haven't been relegated in that time are Aberdeen, Celtic and Motherwell

Killie only survived their first season up becaue they beat a 2nd string Rangers team who had just clinched the league in their previous match, throw in the overspending that took them to £12M in debt - they've ridden their luck over the years.