The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think Heaton has burnt his bridges after that tweet last week about "things getting better". We all thought he'd got a new club, didn't realise he was clearly talking about Oran leaving. Very disrespectful, sooner he leaves the better.

Heaton is a daft young boy with a very high opinion of his rather poor ability as a footballer. His tweet was one of a number of occasions that he’s had a dig at the club. Maybe if he got his act together got his head down and applied himself while working hard in training, then he might have a chance.

Cody Cooke for instance was in the same boat last season. That boy was a credit to himself by proving many doubters completely wrong. Me included.  

36 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think Heaton has burnt his bridges after that tweet last week about "things getting better". We all thought he'd got a new club, didn't realise he was clearly talking about Oran leaving. Very disrespectful, sooner he leaves the better.

15 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Heaton is a daft young boy with a very high opinion of his rather poor ability as a footballer. His tweet was one of a number of occasions that he’s had a dig at the club. Maybe if he got his act together got his head down and applied himself while working hard in training, then he might have a chance.

Cody Cooke for instance was in the same boat last season. That boy was a credit to himself by proving many doubters completely wrong. Me included.  

You'd imagine there's a short conversation to be had there, which starts with: Josh, do you want to knuckle down and try to become a professional footballer playing for St Mirren FC?

If he looks Goodwin our new manager in the eye and says yes, then I'd give him a fair crack of the whip.

50 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That and his wife saying we were really looking forward to next season to, aye right. Talk about laying it on thick.

Yeah, it was insincere bollocks aimed at the more gullible elements of our support. The St Mirren statement that could barely contain its utter contempt for Kearney was far more honest and telling.

30 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, it was insincere bollocks aimed at the more gullible elements of our support. The St Mirren statement that could barely contain its utter contempt for Kearney was far more honest and telling.

Sadly you are on the money. It’s genuinely unfair and typical of an element in our support, who think that Gordon Scott wouldn’t do what’s good for our club. 

So many jumped the gun and put the boot in on the wrong man.

Sadly you are on the money. It’s genuinely unfair and typical of an element in our support, who think that Gordon Scott wouldn’t do what’s good for our club. 
So many jumped the gun and put the boot in on the wrong man.
Exactly. I know he has made some unpopular decisions but I don't doubt for a second that every one has been made for the good of our club. I reckon he's a good guy but he's also a businessman who knows what he's doing.

21 hours ago, btb said:

Like I've said previously there's no doubt OK tried to bounce the club into modifying his working conditions but this is 2019 times are supposed to be more family friendly and communications are good enough these days to make it workable, I feel the club GLS would have been better off accepting OK requests but asking for some guarantees in return (and I accept we can't know if or how far we went down this road) but for me the blame lies with GLS.

On a side note I noticed OK thanked Tony in his goodbye tweet, I'm not sure if that's what Tony really needs given he has to stay on at the club & work with GLS! :shutup 

McInnes has had to be creative with several of our signings. The likes of Shay Logan get an extra day off to visit his children down in England. It sounds ridiculous but we'd likely have lost him years ago otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McInnes has had to be creative with several of our signings. The likes of Shay Logan get an extra day off to visit his children down in England. It sounds ridiculous but we'd likely have lost him years ago otherwise.

It's a very reasonable/sensible approach. We'd have been in much more trouble by Xmas if we'd not signed Adam Hammill, and I reckon we'd have been safe sooner if he'd stuck around, but sadly he just didn't want to live away from his family. Shame we couldn't have reached a similar compromise with him.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's a very reasonable/sensible approach. We'd have been in much more trouble by Xmas if we'd not signed Adam Hammill, and I reckon we'd have been safe sooner if he'd stuck around, but sadly he just didn't want to live away from his family. Shame we couldn't have reached a similar compromise with him.

Where was his family based?

There's direct Aberdeen to Manchester flights. I'm presuming Shay covers the cost himself but he'll be on a decent wage.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Where was his family based?

There's direct Aberdeen to Manchester flights. I'm presuming Shay covers the cost himself but he'll be on a decent wage.

Yorkshire-ish, IIRC. Two hours closer than Logan's journey (by car) but still a trek.

1 hour ago, AlloaAdam said:

Getting quite sick of you lads tbh.

At least you've got compensation from us for Ross and Goodwin. Did you ever get anything from Dundee for the not at all dodgy way Hartley ended up there?

12 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

I hope jim does well with you guys he deserves time and will be given more slack for who he is hopefully , 

for our next manager (and your future one ) who would you recommend ?

Oran Kearney did quite well and there's practically no chance of us half-inching him from you.