The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, dumpweed said:

Is Nazon staying?

Unlikely. His loan is up, he'll go back to Belgium and probably find another club as he's so far out of favour there. 

Think the big guy is a bit of an enigmatic type and is extremely frustrating as he's skillful but greedy, and clumsy . His appearance on Sunday was by far and away his best for us in my opinion as he's flattered to deceive. 

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, his social posts indicate he's away.

Fair enough.

He was offered to Killie last summer. We tracked him a bit but he came up short on what was required. Has the talent but in very brief flashes. He will end up somewhere and just hit it off but doubt that'll be in Scotland.

Just listened to Stephen McGinns interview post match on Sunday. What an absolute legend, you can hear how much it means to him - has to be a rarity in football these days. With guys like that in the dressing room there is no surprise we dug ourselves out of a massive hole.

Roll on next season.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rumour is Goodwin will approach Jimmy Nicholl to be his assistant.

No idea whether he's still contracted to us or not.

If he is, I don't think we'd be too difficult to deal with.

I had heard that Nicholl was finding the job quite tricky, as he is used to being the nice guy nurturing part of the management team in conjunction with a more in your face character. Unfortunately for him, Kearney fits the nice guy nurturing part too.

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rumour is Goodwin will approach Jimmy Nicholl to be his assistant.

Fair enough. I get the impression Nicholl has contributed well without being essential/irreplaceable. I suspect he'd be of more use now to Goodwin in his first full-time role, now that Oran has found his feet.

Would be interesting to see what profile of assistant Kearney would go for next. Experienced or younger. 

34 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Just listened to Stephen McGinns interview post match on Sunday. What an absolute legend, you can hear how much it means to him - has to be a rarity in football these days. With guys like that in the dressing room there is no surprise we dug ourselves out of a massive hole.

Roll on next season.

Yep. He is so far from being the 'snake' that Chris Sutton claimed. McGinn saw what was wrong and, if it took going behind Stubbs' back to fix it, then fine. I know who I trust and believe more.

Legend.

Listened to the interview earlier and there's another nice wee dig about Stubbs when he mentions opening up the papers on Thursday morning.

Wonder if Kearney will go for his father-in-law as assistant if Nicholl leaves?

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Listened to the interview earlier and there's another nice wee dig about Stubbs when he mentions opening up the papers on Thursday morning.

Wonder if Kearney will go for his father-in-law as assistant if Nicholl leaves?

He's just been appointed manager of Northern Ireland's women's team last week, so highly unlikely.

If Nicholl does go, I could see a bit of a reshuffle and a space opening up for Anton Ferdinand to cut his coaching teeth if he sees fit.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's just been appointed manager of Northern Ireland's women's team last week, so highly unlikely.

If Nicholl does go, I could see a bit of a reshuffle and a space opening up for Anton Ferdinand to cut his coaching teeth if he sees fit.

So he has, although it wasn't a serious suggestion anyway!

If the Nicholl stuff is true (can't see him dropping down a league to be honest), hopefully it'll be another experienced coach or we use it to bring in a decent player we'd otherwise be unable to afford, like we did with Mixu years ago. Can't see Ferdinand playing much if he was kept on.

I take it we're going back to a two man set-up seeing as Rice hasn't been replaced?

Would love to see Anton back. Apparently got really involved with community side of things as well and is really religious!

Always had it in my head he would be a billy big baws, how wrong was I!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

So he has, although it wasn't a serious suggestion anyway!

If the Nicholl stuff is true (can't see him dropping down a league to be honest), hopefully it'll be another experienced coach or we use it to bring in a decent player we'd otherwise be unable to afford, like we did with Mixu years ago. Can't see Ferdinand playing much if he was kept on.

I take it we're going back to a two man set-up seeing as Rice hasn't been replaced?

Good shout. Someone like Charlie Adam who will no doubt end up back north of the border (and has been quoted as getting into coaching and already been linked with Dundee) would be ideal. 

Edited by djchapsticks

43 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

On a related note, Ferdinand says Hladky is the best keeper he's played with (see comment on below).

I think we're really going to struggle to keep this guy. Someone's going to have to show us the money, though.

Screenshot_20190529-203411.png

High praise from a guy who has counted Robert Green, Richard Wright, Craig Gordon and Simon Mignolet among his team mates. 

I actually want to know how good the guy at Slovan Liberec is who he couldn't displace. I also really hope that we can find another few gems from the Eastern European leagues the summer. Popescu and Hladky were overwhelming successes and Muzek was a solid turn (who I hope we keep), Corbu was the only one who didn't shine and that was because he didn't really get a chance with Paul McGinn's form. 

Edited by djchapsticks

17 hours ago, FTOF said:

No idea whether he's still contracted to us or not.

If he is, I don't think we'd be too difficult to deal with.

I had heard that Nicholl was finding the job quite tricky, as he is used to being the nice guy nurturing part of the management team in conjunction with a more in your face character. Unfortunately for him, Kearney fits the nice guy nurturing part too.

But you would day the same about Goody

You'd suggest that means 100k. He's just helped us earn at least an extra 700k by keeping us in the league. I'd make him the highest earner, extend contract and be looking for at least half a million. Of course he would need to agree........