The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

37 minutes ago, red23 said:

Sorry, who is this complete dickhead?

Clowns coming out with some right statements.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45476353

The only surprising thing is that this is the first time you've heard Fitzpatrick's claim about our top 6 status.

It's like a broken record, however to us St Mirren fans he's like that sort of old relative that says stuff that just seems bizarre but you know.. they are family so you just accept it and offer them a nice cup of tea.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Ferdinand has apparently been offered a deal, but as yet he’s not made any decision. Could this be the classic shop window where another club steps in and offers more money. 

No doubt a few clubs will be asking the question now that it's been in the media. I did think at the time it was a bit weird that photos of him training appeared in the S*n

14 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

The only surprising thing is that this is the first time you've heard Fitzpatrick's claim about our top 6 status.

It's like a broken record, however to us St Mirren fans he's like that sort of old relative that says stuff that just seems bizarre but you know.. they are family so you just accept it and offer them a nice cup of tea.

I don't think it's the worst statement that can be made. What do folk want our Chief Executive to say "Avoiding relegation constantly would be brilliant". Why not try and show a bit of ambition and Top 6 or Top 4 is not exactly unrealistic if we had a great season. 

4 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I don't think it's the worst statement that can be made. What do folk want our Chief Executive to say "Avoiding relegation constantly would be brilliant". Why not try and show a bit of ambition and Top 6 or Top 4 is not exactly unrealistic if we had a great season. 

No it's not. I think the thing I was alluding to is that when people mention his comments us Saints fans are only too well aware that he's been saying this all the time he's been at the club, but I think it's acceptable to say that if a club like St Johnstone, even with sugar daddy money from Brown can manage it, then why can't we.

Edited by Buddist Monk

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

No it's not. I think the thing I was alluding to is that when people mention his comments us Saints fans are only too well aware that he's been saying this all the time he's been at the club, but I think it's acceptable to say that if a club like St Johnstone, even with sugar daddy money from Brown can manage it, then why can't we.

:lol: Brown has never put a single penny in the club, go back over the last decade of accounts if you want, they're all publicly available. 

We finished in the top four when Rangers, Hearts, Hibernian and Kilmarnock were all weakened. That's no longer the case. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

:lol: Brown has never put a single penny in the club, go back over the last decade of accounts if you want, they're all publicly available. 

We finished in the top four when Rangers, Hearts, Hibernian and Kilmarnock were all weakened. That's no longer the case. 

Are you telling me all the finances from the football club come from those generated purely by the football club alone?

Anyway, it's irrelevant to the point I'm making, if a club the size of St Johnstone can be a success then a larger and more (historically) successful club like St Mirren most definitely can be.

Edited by Buddist Monk

18 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Are you telling me all the finances from the football club come from those generated purely by the football club alone?

A lot of the income is generated by the suites situated the stadium. 

I'm looking forward to you delving into how a club using its own facilities to earn non football related monies is the equivalent of us being funded by a suger daddy, though. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lot of the income is generated by the suites situated the stadium.

So, as I said, the club is funded through other avenues. Would it help if I removed the Sugar Daddy tag that seems to have annoyed you so much and replace it with Brown allowing non-footballing revenues to be used to sustain the club when he could have kept that money for himself (or his business).

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that St Johnstone make a shit tonne through the use of McDiarmid for corporate events?  It's County who have the sugar daddy.

Oh, now County _do_ have a sugar daddy. If you speak with McGregor he's not bothered at all by that tag though.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, as I said, the club is funded through other avenues. Would it help if I removed the Sugar Daddy tag that seems to have annoyed you so much and replace it with Brown allowing non-footballing revenues to be used to sustain the club when he could have kept that money for himself (or his business).

No, you said we were funded by a suger daddy. Steve Brown doesn't own the facilities at McDiarmid Park, nor own McDiarmid Park. 

Genuinely struggling as to how St Johnstone FC using their own facilities, at their own ground, which they own, for functions, can be construed as Steve Brown giving money to the club. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely struggling as to how St Johnstone FC using their own facilities, at their own ground, which they own, for functions, can be construed as Steve Brown giving money to the club. 

My point is that the level of funding available to St Johnstone goes well above the actual football revenue generated. I don't think there is any dispute in that, and why you are taking umbrage is somewhat odd. It's a pretty accepted fact amongst the St Johnstone support, or at least it used to be.

In many ways you should take it as a compliment not an insult.

Still, it doesn't impact on fact that if a club the size of St Johnstone can such success then so can other clubs.

Edited by Buddist Monk

12 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

My point is that the level of funding available to St Johnstone goes well above the actual football revenue generated. 

Your exact words were "even with Sugar Daddy money from Brown", so I've no idea why you're now just repeating the points I've made as if they were yours all along, just acknowledge you were caught slavering absolute shite and move on. 

I'm not sure why what we achieved is relevant anyway, we peaked when at least four bugger clubs had their biggest dips in decades. It won't be repeated in our lifetimes, so it's irrelevant to St Mirrens ambitions. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your exact words were "even with Sugar Daddy money from Brown", so I've no idea why you're now just repeating the points I've made as if they were yours all along, just acknowledge you were caught slavering absolute shite and move on. 

I'm not sure why what we achieved is relevant anyway, we peaked when at least four bugger clubs had their biggest dips in decades. It won't be repeated in our lifetimes, so it's irrelevant to St Mirrens ambitions. 

So even after I have agreed to retract the term you are still arguing about it? I think you have too much time on your hands.

The irony of claiming you don't understand the relevancy of a point, then go on to explain the relevancy of the point will not be lost to most.

Edited by Buddist Monk

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So even after I have agreed to retract the term you are still arguing about it? I think you have too much time on your hands.

You retracted the term suger daddy but still claimed the club benefits from Brown not taking money gained from suites for himself or his business. His only business is an electricians, so again, not sure how McDiarmid being used for funeral teas is him giving us money that should go towards that. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What you need to understand is that when this guy gets stuff wrong (a daily occurence), it's you who has misunderstood rather than he who has made an arse of himself yet again.

The fact that his whole point was based on a fallacy is irrelevant in his mind...

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You retracted the term suger daddy but still claimed the club benefits from Brown not taking money gained from suites for himself or his business. His only business is an electricians, so again, not sure how McDiarmid being used for funeral teas is him giving us money that should go towards that. 

After agreeing to retract the phrase you then replied....

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your exact words were "even with Sugar Daddy money from Brown"

So, you know, maybe just accept that someone has dropped the phrase. Move on.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm looking forward to day when Buddist Monk stops drawing folk into tedious, tedious arguments. 

To be fair, I made a point, corrected it, and focussed on the main point that if one club can achieve it so can we.

I can't help if someone continues to rake over coals purely for the benefit of an argument, can I?

1 minute ago, Soctty said:

What you need to understand is that when this guy gets stuff wrong (a daily occurence), it's you who has misunderstood rather than he who has made an arse of himself yet again.

Yeah, well that isn't true, I specifically retracted the phrase so I'm not really sure what basis in truth that has. Perhaps it suits your agenda to be the case? Who knows, you seem to  enjoy having random digs at me.