The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Aye County are desperate for points for as well and arguably in better form than Accies. I think we just presume StJohnstone win though given their recent results.

In our own hands against Hamilton on the last game before the split, we'd all have been delighted if offered that a few months ago. Hopefully McGrath and JDH are fully match fit now.

It wouldn't surprise me if St Johnstone get top 6 and our season just fizzles out.
However given what's at stake for County and Hamilton, wouldn't be a surprise if all of the sides in the battle to be top 6 failed to win! 

This is my worry also, I could see teams like Motherwell finishing above us if we didn’t get top 6. The financial rewards should be enough of an incentive, I’ve read on here you are c125k per placing, that’s an extra space or 2 on the wage bill per placing - not to be sniffed at!

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

It wouldn't surprise me if St Johnstone get top 6 and our season just fizzles out.

It would be hilarious to me if you lot finished 9th or something after all Goodwins bluster a month or so ago about striving to be the best you can be and how top 6 is the aim as "just surviving isn't enough for this club anymore".

You'll finish at least 6th though. Break until the next game will let you sort out injury issues etc.,  and you'll come out flying. County have been our bogey side over the last few seasons and we can't score at home, so we'll likely draw at best.

Marcus Fraser and Jamie McGrath have been offered new cobtracts.
Jamie McGrath and Marcus Fraser St Mirren contract latest as club step up talks - Daily Record
I thought Tait was going to stroll the POTY awards at the start of the season, but gradually Marcus Fraser has improved week by week and now he is a standout, he's my player of the year at the moment.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
5 minutes ago, FTOF said:
Jamie McGrath and Marcus Fraser St Mirren contract latest as club step up talks - Daily Record

I thought Tait was going to stroll the POTY awards at the start of the season, but gradually Marcus Fraser has improved week by week and now he is a standout, he's my player of the year at the moment.

Jak Alnwick for me, closely followed by Fraser. McCarthy has been great too.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would be hilarious to me if you lot finished 9th or something after all Goodwins bluster a month or so ago about striving to be the best you can be and how top 6 is the aim as "just surviving isn't enough for this club anymore".

You'll finish at least 6th though. Break until the next game will let you sort out injury issues etc.,  and you'll come out flying. County have been our bogey side over the last few seasons and we can't score at home, so we'll likely draw at best.

As much as it would be disappointing, given the shitshow we've been through this season, it's remarkable that we're anywhere near sixth place.

IMO without it, we'd have had the pipe and slippers out by now and be uncatchable in sixth place, at least. However, we aren't and the aforementioned shitshow isn't the only reason why we're requiring three points next week. even with our run of games in February and the injuries, we should have performed better.

What is making me the happiest is our situation off field. I was dubious regarding the Kibble's involvement. However, they seem to have added a layer of expertise and forward thinking, with regards to running a successful business, that we didn't have before.

We seem to be on a firm financial footing and have a management and coaching team who are firmly invested in the club. We've also started re-signing and signing players for next season, which normally we are scrabbling around doing at the end of the season at the earliest. We have a significant number of our better players signed up for next year already, although Erwin's 2 year contract might not have been the best move!:rolleyes:

That all adds up to bad news for our immediate competition for next season, but is great news for us.:)

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Completely agree. He's really grown in confidence too, I'd say, and moves forward far better than I was expecting. I think he does pretty well on the right of a three.

Fraser is too small, too slow and was continually putting in bad performances were the combined comments from County fans. The latter can be rectified and I'd wager it has - he's been a consistent performer, often excellent, rarely poor - but either Goodwin has mitigated the first two claims or they just weren't valid.

As for McGrath, he's been far better than most would have hoped, in what has been his first full season - and fair enough the Scottish league is a step up from LoI but it's not that much of a step up - he has looked a very shrewd acquisition by Goodwin.

I'm sure there is a willingness for them to sign extensions otherwise they wouldn't be offered them, and I really hope they do so quickly. If anything it gives us a little insurance when bigger clubs come sniffing around McGrath as I am absolutely sure they will.

Edited by Ric

5 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
5 hours ago, FTOF said:

Tait reminds me of Popescu a bit in that he is well liked because he makes last ditch tackles and the likes but often it is because he messed up or was out of position in the first place. Granted he is a better player than Popescu but he has definitely slowed compared to his Motherwell days and no coincidence he has been rested quite a bit while the rest of the defence has been a mainstay. I am glad Goodwin has targeted these two as they are thoroughly deserving of new deals and they are, again, being very proactive when it comes to renewing with McGrath as he still has the year to go. If Fraser stays I would think we are a left back off a very good defence for this level with Tait as back up across all defensive positions. 

I think the player of the year is definitely between Alnwick & Fraser and Fraser would be my shout. McGrath will get the most media coverage no doubt. He has also performed well over the season but not as consistent as Alnwick and Fraser. 

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:
6 hours ago, ron said:
What sort of contact is Dylan Reid on currently?

He signed one last Monday on his 16th birthday. Haven't seen any details as to the length. Hopefully 12 years.

Didn't realise that. Great news.

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
13 hours ago, FTOF said:

It’s funny reading this and a few other posts as I just don’t see it with Fraser. Really just shows how we all see things differently.

Id be interested to know (do we have a Random Guy version?) how many goals come from our right back area. I also feel his distribution is weak, especially for the positions he finds himself in. Pre the semi final, I was keen on seeing Tait on the right and Mason on the left.

It’s a funny ol’ game.