The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3-year deal for a Scotland international. Kudos to the board & Goodwin for getting this deal agreed. I would hope we can sign him this month, can't imagine Killie would be too difficult to deal with given he hasn't been first choice. If Morias were to leave on the back of this then it will be a definite upgrade. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

If Morias were to leaving on the back of this then it will be a definite upgrade. 

I believe he is . It's a bit of a shame because he puts his heart and soul into it , but is not quite good enough for our level !

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

I believe he is . It's a bit of a shame because he puts his heart and soul into it , but is not quite good enough for our level !

Have to imagine that Morias will only go dependent on Brophy coming in this month.

But then will Killie be happy to play ball and deal with a rival in giving them what would be a first choice striker in January?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Have to imagine that Morias will only go dependent on Brophy coming in this month.

But then will Killie be happy to play ball and deal with a rival in giving them what would be a first choice striker in January?

Suppose it may depend on whether Killie are looking to strengthen and need a wee bit more cash !

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Agreed, I'm disappointed we never went for Osman Sow instead.

Well, no. Dundee signed Sow on a pay as you play deal and are now reaping the rewards. St Mirren have (you'd imagine considering the other teams involved) spent a fortune on a guy who is genuinely pish. 100%, without a shadow of doubt, he'll be getting a chasing on this forum by your fans next season. 

Well, no. Dundee signed Sow on a pay as you play deal and are now reaping the rewards. St Mirren have (you'd imagine considering the other teams involved) spent a fortune on a guy who is genuinely pish. 100%, without a shadow of doubt, he'll be getting a chasing on this forum by your fans next season. 
Salty, salty delicious salty did I mention salty tears

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I mean, a goal every 200 mins on average is as good a return as we could realistically hope for.

I'm not sure what level of player you expect St. Mirren to sign but a 24 year old internationalist with a lot of top flight appearances under his belt and a good scoring rate based on minutes on the park is probably above the level of signing we've been operating on for the last several years.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You lost all credibility when suggesting a pay per play deal somehow makes Sow something better than a lump of wood.

Sow will be nowhere near a top league outfit anytime soon, nor will he be in the future.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Brophy is overrated, certainly, but he's not pish by any stretch of the imagination.

Agreed, there's no-one in the league outside of the Old Firm, Cosgrove apart that have been as proven as him in the last few seasons.

Even the much lauded Shankland is having a poorer season, despite having much more game time in a more successful team.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Brophy is overrated, certainly, but he's not pish by any stretch of the imagination.

Well, aye. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the Scotland squads (but he's not the only one). If people are overhyped I'll just go with "they're pish". He will be a decent enough bottom six player. Breaking the bank for that is a bit wild, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

You lost all credibility when suggesting a pay per play deal somehow makes Sow something better than a lump of wood.

Sow will be nowhere near a top league outfit anytime soon, nor will he be in the future.

I wasn't looking for credibility. Sow has turned out to be a fairly decent signing for Dundee on a pay as you play deal in the Championship. Nobody ever mentioned him signing for a top flight side so I've no idea what you're trying to achieve with that line. 

I am definitely on the fence about Brophy. I know he's thought of highly by some, but his scoring record isn't really all that impressive. Of course, in relative terms this is St Mirren we're talking about and it's definitely an improvement on someone like Morias (for all the effort he puts in, and he does, his end product isn't great).

Makes me wonder if Obika will stay longer than this season, if Brophy is on a long deal, Erwin and Dennis are here until 2022, where does that leave him?

No, the biggest positive is not so much the player himself but that we beat off competition from teams around us and those above us.

Quick Edit: Why is @Mr. Alli so angry about it?

Edited by Ric