The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I actually found myself looking at strikers in the LoI the other day to see who might be next in.

I think Jim is going to be patient with our current strikers so it might need to be someone who is a bit quicker than Obika or Erwin. We do need some pace in our attack. 

As I said in my (overly long) 2021 contract post, we don't really have room in the squad for another striker. Erwin and Dennis are both contracted until 2022 and unless someone comes in for Morias I don't see him leaving. It would be a bit daft to move on Obika considering he seems like our most potent threat.

You could argue Morias is now considered a winger rather than a striker, but we have Connolly who - for my money - is the same type of player just with a better end product (albeit perhaps less fit).

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I wouldn’t mind the lad from Norwich.

Adam Idah? Think he's far too highly thought of to be sent out on loan. Been getting decent minutes at Norwich I think. 

As for league of Ireland, there's not too many forwards there that are out of contract. Any forward coming in Wed surely be paying money for so can't see us going down that route for a striker. 

Someone like Dan Grant or Danny Mandroiu, though would fit the bill. Both Irish U21s and attack minded and both still only 20/21 and out of contract next week. 

Actually, never mind. Grant is wanted by Hull and Huddersfield and Mandroiu has signed a PCA with Shamrock Rovers. 

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

I would try move on Morais and Erwin if we can. Both not got it IMO. We need a player like Nisbet of Hibs.  I still think wee Dennis will come good. 

Nisbet was bought for move we just don’t have. We aren’t in the market for that. 

Potent strikers are difficult to come by at out level and with the money we play. Everyone wants one but they are tough for all clubs to get. No chance Jim is moving on Erwin so soon after bring him in. Morias is getting minutes from Jim so presumably isn’t out his thoughts and I’d keep him as he offers something different from Obika, Dennis and Erwin 

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

I would try move on Morais and Erwin if we can. Both not got it IMO. We need a player like Nisbet of Hibs.  I still think wee Dennis will come good. 

If Morias wants to move, and there is an interested party, then that's about the only way I think he'll go. I think he'll see out his contract and to be fair to him, he's absolutely entitled to do that. In the middle of a pandemic and with the idiocy of a tory Brexit it's not a time to be taking gambles, what's more I don't think he's a liability in any way, just lacks a bit of an end product. He's not lacked endeavour when he's been given a run out either so  in many ways you could say he's holding up his side of the bargain.

Erwin has a contract until 2022, and has even less reason to shift - for all the reasons I gave above.

I do agree with you, btw, that Dennis will come good at some point. Prolific? Unlikely, but I can see him sitting in and around the double figure mark if he gets his confidence/fitness. You can't really ask for more than that on the sorts of money we are paying.

What a year it has been! The highlights for me were the Cup replay against Motherwell, just because it elicited just about every emotion; then of course, the game against Hearts which ensured our survival in the top flight! This season so far the victory over Rangers was just incredible, but once again we did it the hard way. How does a team that struggles to score again and again, stick three past Rangers? How?!

Naturally, with us being Saint Mirren, there's always going to be low points. The Covid crisis for which we will be ridiculed on Only An Excuse? tonight, and the investigation into our finances are obviously concerning. Then, of course, there was our run of six consecutive league losses (I think it was?), which had some folk calling for Goodwin's head!

However, with a Hampden semi-final to look forward to, in addition to the recent upturn in our performances and fan ownership also on the horizon, I think we can all agree that the future's bright...it's black and white!

Happy New Year to all my fellow Saints supporters!

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting wee piece that mentions we're one of the clubs looking at Eamonn Brophy. You'd need to believe we're 6th in that list of 6 though.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-barnsley-luton-want-eamonn-brophy-kilmarnock

At least we are acknowledging that we need a striker. Obika blows hot and cold, Dennis needs reserve games to get match sharpness and Erwin has the first touch of a brick wall. Against Killie today we looked like we could play for days and not score, just grateful Danny Rodgers was on form.

Might be controversial, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had another centre mid coming in January.

Ethan has been a revelation, but is prone to a bit of sloppiness. We need to remember he's only 19 and a little break might do him good. Goodwin clearly doesn't trust Cammy for whatever reason, and Foley is really just a CD. Ideally Flynn would be back and would solve the problem.

Ethan has a big future ahead of him, hopefully with us, but a few errors - misplaced passes, not tracking runners - are creeping in.

2 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Wonder why Morias and Durmus didn’t make the bench today. Sure I heard Jim saying we had no injures in the post-match interview.

DJC may be the person to ask...

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No Morias in the squad.

I've heard an unconfirmed rumour that we're unlikely to see him in the squad again.