The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Our website said it was an option to buy, the Rangers one said it was a loan that would become a permanent transfer. No idea which is right. Seems a weird one to sign on loan when you've already agreed to take him permanently as you surely bring him in for a bit to get a look at him.

The fact Foley seemed to be preferred at centre half when Shaughnessy was unavailable does not bode well.

Just when I thought I’d seen it all as a St Mirren fan. The highs, the lows, the cup wins, the losses.... never ever thought I’d see the day when we might sell some talented players without me even see them kick a single ball in anger. 

16 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Think he plays the holding role well, but not in the traditional sense I guess. More moving the ball quicker, etc.

After all the stomping around with Magennis being sold, are we a better team for it by “replacing” him with JDH? 

Absolutely Magennis always did flatter to deceive, a good player but JDH is a better player IM not so HO

2 hours ago, jaybeee said:

Absolutely Magennis always did flatter to deceive, a good player but JDH is a better player IM not so HO

Think it was a question of where he was played. Magennis was excellent under Kearney because he was in that sort of, almost number 10 role. Under Goodwin he was expected to be more of a complete box to box type player and the defensive side of the game definitely didn't suit him. 

He's still a big loss and losing him most definitely weakened our squad but going purely on current form of our midfielders and what we expect those in the middle of the park to do, I'd struggle to see a place for him. Part of that is down to Kyle's lack of versatility as a player, I guess. Stevie Mallan struggled in the exact same way for us for a long time when he was expected to play the combative all-action centre mid and that 100% didn't suit him.

Think it was a question of where he was played. Magennis was excellent under Kearney because he was in that sort of, almost number 10 role. Under Goodwin he was expected to be more of a complete box to box type player and the defensive side of the game definitely didn't suit him. 
He's still a big loss and losing him most definitely weakened our squad but going purely on current form of our midfielders and what we expect those in the middle of the park to do, I'd struggle to see a place for him. Part of that is down to Kyle's lack of versatility as a player, I guess. Stevie Mallan struggled in the exact same way for us for a long time when he was expected to play the combative all-action centre mid and that 100% didn't suit him.

Then you add in Kyle's injury problems. Rarely managed 30 games a season iirc.

Got a brilliant move and we have a brilliant replacement. Good deal all round I'd say.

So our record since Christmas Day reads:

Pl    W    D    L.  GF   GA   GD   Pts       

-1     1      0    -2    2      -6     +8      3

Happy Christmas!!!

Edited by AllyM

I admire those who have the unwavering will for Morias (particularly @Coventry Saint who must have shares in him) to do well, but he's not good enough. He puts in plenty of effort, which will get you so far (especially with our support), but he's not a striker and certainly not a winger.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong and score/assist a load of goals, but I can't see it.

14 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I admire those who have the unwavering will for Morias (particularly @Coventry Saint who must have shares in him) to do well, but he's not good enough. He puts in plenty of effort, which will get you so far (especially with our support), but he's not a striker and certainly not a winger.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong and score/assist a load of goals, but I can't see it.

Haha, I was very positive about him for a while, then he ground me down. I still think he has his uses, but he's certainly not good enough for where we aspire to be in the table.

As is so often the case, if you combine two of our players, you'd have an absolute baller on your hands. Imagine taking McAllister's technique and vision and combining it with Morias's application, pace and physicality.

Anyway... Came here to say we're only one win shy of last season's tally, having played 13 games fewer. Assuming this season gets finished, you'd have to say we'll be on for our best top flight finish in a generation.

Morias does a lot of things right. Occasionally can hit a screamer towards goal, is a pest, is physical, hard to play against. But he never looks up and all his crosses need air traffic control clearance as they clear the box. No composure at all. Want to like him but too many deficiencies. Cut him loose.

3 hours ago, AllyM said:

So our record since Christmas Day reads:

Pl    W    D    L.  GF   GA   GD   Pts       

-1     1      0    -2    2      -6     +8      3

Happy Christmas!!!

I got this notification through earlier today which I thought was quite funny. 

29DE8FFE-D525-42C9-83DE-53D260079714.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I actually found myself looking at strikers in the LoI the other day to see who might be next in.

Me too.

I didn't see any that particularly stood out, that we could get on the cheap.