The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Fair enough. You can see a couple behind the goals. 

Kilmarnock have alot of flags. I'm sure they all meet the regulations. 🤔

Kilmarnock would probably welcome a fire to burn down their stadium and build a new one similar to ours in terms of capacity and low maintenance.

On 20/12/2020 at 07:54, Coventry Saint said:

That was clearly what did for DannyLennon in the end. Well-trodden ground, but the mistake wasn't letting him go: it was failing to replace him with a football manager.

What did for DL in the end was the appalling home record. In his 4 seasons in charge the home win percentage was barely above 20%, a truly shocking statistic. Replacing him with Craig was damnable.

Two random thoughts have come to mind, and I just thought I would stick them on here:

1) Our game against Hibs on Wednesday will be a real test of the team. Hibs completely dominated the earlier game, and (if memory serves me correct) went 2-0 very early on in the game. If we can get a result at Easter Road I really think the thread's title might not be the joke it obviously was intended to be.

2) With fan ownership, we should be looking to do everything we can to improve the match day experience. The North Bank have been really great for years, and I think the club should look at making W7, and even W6 safe standing areas. I understand that we're living in strange times, and there are other concerns at the moment, but that is one of the first things we should be aiming to deliver IMHO. Thoughts?

That would be brilliant to have Doyle-Hayes a bit longer. It’s interesting to see Jim talking up his defensive qualities there, personally I think he’s been playing too deep the last two league games and we could do with him and Erhahon rotating a bit more in going forward.

11 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

2) With fan ownership, we should be looking to do everything we can to improve the match day experience. The North Bank have been really great for years, and I think the club should look at making W7, and even W6 safe standing areas. I understand that we're living in strange times, and there are other concerns at the moment, but that is one of the first things we should be aiming to deliver IMHO. Thoughts?

My ST is in W6 and I’ve no interest in it changing to a safe standing area.

55 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

That would be brilliant to have Doyle-Hayes a bit longer. It’s interesting to see Jim talking up his defensive qualities there, personally I think he’s been playing too deep the last two league games and we could do with him and Erhahon rotating a bit more in going forward.

Think he plays the holding role well, but not in the traditional sense I guess. More moving the ball quicker, etc.

After all the stomping around with Magennis being sold, are we a better team for it by “replacing” him with JDH? 

20 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Think he plays the holding role well, but not in the traditional sense I guess. More moving the ball quicker, etc.

After all the stomping around with Magennis being sold, are we a better team for it by “replacing” him with JDH? 

Without a doubt and that's without being disparaging or dismissive to Kyle who is an excellent player. He's a very, very different player to Kyle who is much more in the traditional attacking mid mould.

Goodwin seemed to want to play Kyle in the role JDH is now in and it definitely wasn't suited to him. So without a doubt, we're a better team with JDH playing a role he's comfortable with than with Magennis who clearly wasn't. That's not to say that both couldn't have fit in the side with Kyle playing further forward but then you'd be looking at him taking McGrath's role who is undroppable currently.

Edit - McGrath - not McCarthy!!

Edited by djchapsticks

Extend the deals of all the Irish lads, please. Doyle-Hayes and Connolly are open to PCAs next month, and while there is still another 18 months on McGrath and McCathy's contracts I would certainly not be adversed to seeing them stay longer.

As for other players who have their contracts up in 2021, a quick shufty online has brought up this lot..

Durmus, Jamieson, Lyness, Fraser, Flynn, Foley, Morias, Obika, Urminsky

Of the keepers, I just can't say, Alnwick has been pretty dominant. We obvs need a decent backup, does anyone know how well Urminsky has progressed?

If Jamieson has had any game time I would presume it was in the early stages of the BetFred. If he is to have his contract extended I'm guessing he'll head out on loan, but who knows he might make a showing later on in the season. He's young and would require a development payment if someone offered him a PCA so we can hold off on that until later.

While Fraser hasn't been outstanding, I think he brings experience. For a defender he's still "quite young" at 26, if Goodwin doesn't have any particular plans on replacing him then I'd be happy to see him continue. There is of course the debate that should he not have his contract extended then Tait would switch over. All you are doing there though is robbing Peter to pay Paul. I doubt we could somehow get a deal to keep Mason past his loan, he looks way out of our price bracket.

Flynn... ah, now there is a tough one. Deserved the extended contract he got before when he was injured simply down to the job he did for us up until then. I have no idea what level he is at now. Has he even gotten onto the pitch since he has been listed within our subs? If he has then I'll be honest I missed it.

Foley, well jinkies. Last season anyone suggesting he'd run his race at the club would have been met with a "are you crazy" look. This season though, he's not been great and with the midfield filling up with younger lads the question has to be asked. I think this all comes down to whether he's just had a fairly lukewarm start to the season or whether his legs are starting to go. An argument for him to be moved into the back line permanently could be made but I don't see him as a regular starter there.

Durmus. I like him, and in fact if given the choice between him or McAllister I'd take him. Not that McAllister isn't a good player, in fact I'd say he is a better footballer than Durmus, but he is inconsistent and I am not entirely sure he is ever 100% fit. Durmus, however, did go missing a bit in the early part of this season. It's tough to say why that is; personal? physical? mental? .. this year has been a fucking odd one to say the least. All I'll say is that he has shown glimpses of what he's capable of recently and if there was a chance to tie him up for another year I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.

Morias. I think everyone appreciates his tenacity but he doesn't really come with a final product. He doesn't hit the net, and his crosses aren't that probing. His work ethic absolutely cannot be brought into question but if we were to retain Connolly, what role could Morias play? If he could start providing goals then that would go a long way towards convincing people, but we've been saying that more or less since he came to the club.

Finally... Obika. Now this is the toughest of the lot, imo. He has become a bit of a talisman and, while not prolific, over the season he looks very much like a classic double figures (just) striker that can act as a focal point for our attack. Obika, along with Morias, have the issue that we (as a team) just don't score enough goals, and in situations like this the toughest decision is whether to stick or twist. For me? I'd like to see him extend his contract.

I don't think I've missed anyone out. Of the loanees, it's Mason, Findlayson and Sheron. Although the issue of PCA clearly doesn't apply to them. It goes without saying that every single saints fan would bite your hand off to keep Mason here - he's looked excellent. Sheron however has to put it politely, not exactly set the heather on fire. I don't want to shit on a young player (metaphorically of course) and perhaps Sheron will develop into a player that justifies a regular spot in the team. As it is now, he's not and I don't think anyone expects his loan deal to be in any way extended (or a permanent one offered up). A diplomatic, "thank you for your service, we wish you the best for the future", on that one I feel. That brings us finally to Findlayson, who rather intriguingly has a buy on clause to his contract. I don't know if the figure has already been agreed or if that is to be negotiated. As he's had no game time it's impossible for me to make any judgement on him. Goodwin will see him in training of course, and he is thought of with some regard to the future so who knows. The one stumbling block with that is he's very likely to be getting paid far more at Rangers than he ever will at St Mirren, and without game time and some guarantee of it in the future, I'm not sure he'd be keen to jump ship and see a drop in his wages.

Well that was a longer post than I intended, but I think I've covered everyone who is out of contract this summer.

Edited by Ric
..spelling errors, so many spelling errors.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

No surprise that some of our players seem to be attracting some attention. 

https://www.the42.ie/ex-ireland-international-hoping-st-mirren-can-maintain-11-match-unbeaten-run-5308570-Dec2020/

FTA: “My message to the board would be I don’t mind agreeing deals in January but can we hold on to the player for the rest of the season.”

I mean, sure, that message clearly worked with Magennis.  🙄

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

FTA: “My message to the board would be I don’t mind agreeing deals in January but can we hold on to the player for the rest of the season.”

Ex-Ireland International, while technically correct is a bit of a stretch. Jim's International career lasted all of 7 minutes when he came on as a sub for Robbie Keane.

image.png.3a728b1646123354ccf787bd35f8e353.png

ETA I meant to quote Munoz not you Ric.

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Like most clubs, we'll always have to sell players at some point. With any luck though,  this won't be in January as our team is now looking as competitive as it has done in years. 

4 hours ago, Ric said:

That brings us finally to Findlayson, who rather intriguingly has a buy on clause to his contract. I don't know if the figure has already been agreed or if that is to be negotiated. As he's had no game time it's impossible for me to make any judgement on him. Goodwin will see him in training of course, and he is thought of with some regard to the future so who knows. The one stumbling block with that is he's very likely to be getting paid far more at Rangers than he ever will at St Mirren, and without game time and some guarantee of it in the future, I'm not sure he'd be keen to jump ship and see a drop in his wages.

Think Findlayson is a loan with an agreed future transfer already.