The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I haven’t send this for a while (ever), but I think we need to give Gordon Scott some credit here.

The Goodwin out brigade were getting louder and louder in October and November. Podcasts, Twitter, on here and various other outlets.

To be fair on the other lads on the pod, it was only myself that was suggesting binning Goodwin. We had a long discussion about it and they were firmly set on keeping him around but thought he may have needed a hand on the coaching front - particularly with our strikers. At the time I couldn’t see a way out of the slump we were in. Continued bizzare starting XI’s and nonsense long ball ‘route 1’ tactics made me think Goodwin had lost the plot and had run out of ideas. I was worried we’d go down without much of a fight and I wanted change and wanted it quickly.

However, I’m more than happy to admit I was wrong and I’m as happy as anyone that we’ve turned it around and now look like a force to be reckoned with. Long may it continue!

Also, I can’t agree that this side is the best in 30 years. Danny Lennons league cup winning side is the best we’ve seen for a long time closely followed by Tom Hendrie’s millennium champions. IMO of course.

48 minutes ago, MH-RD said:

Also, I can’t agree that this side is the best in 30 years. Danny Lennons league cup winning side is the best we’ve seen for a long time closely followed by Tom Hendrie’s millennium champions. IMO of course.

Indeed. Also 30 years ago we finished rock bottom of a 10 team league and were only spared relegation by reconstruction.

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Some of us following since the Fergie era have seen us finish far higher than 8themoji56.png

Indeed, the side who finished 3rd in the premier league were the best I’ve seen.  The Ian Munro Peter Weir combo down the left wing with a seemingly never ending supply of goals for Somner and McDougall were a joy to behold. Most definitely the best side never to have won the top division.

To be fair on the other lads on the pod, it was only myself that was suggesting binning Goodwin. We had a long discussion about it and they were firmly set on keeping him around but thought he may have needed a hand on the coaching front - particularly with our strikers. At the time I couldn’t see a way out of the slump we were in. Continued bizzare starting XI’s and nonsense long ball ‘route 1’ tactics made me think Goodwin had lost the plot and had run out of ideas. I was worried we’d go down without much of a fight and I wanted change and wanted it quickly.
However, I’m more than happy to admit I was wrong and I’m as happy as anyone that we’ve turned it around and now look like a force to be reckoned with. Long may it continue!

I’ve never listened to it to be honest, I just knew there was a Saints podcast out there calling for Goody’s head. If that was a misrepresentation of its content fair enough. Hopefully you’ve held your hand up in recent episodes, might even tune in...

As for your second point, disagree on both counts. Individually Danny Lennon’s squads had much better players, that’s without a doubt. They weren’t as good a team, the organisation was never there. They were never coached well enough to go 11 unbeaten, like this team has. That cup winning side had McGinn, McLean, Thompson, Teale, Goncalves, Dummett etc all playing at the top of their game. We finished 11th that year and spent the last few weeks of the season looking over our shoulder at Bomber Browns Dundee FFS.

We should have been top six minimum. The cup games showed us what that team was capable of. They were never managed properly though, hence the ridiculous relegation battle. Much better players yes, much better team? No.

As for TH’s side.. comparing a second tier team with a top flight side is not really fair cop. What we can say about that millennium team is that they were brilliant fun to watch and deserved champions, but they went straight back down and it all ended in tears with Tom back teaching. Would actually have Gus’s 05/06 team of Broadfoot, Adam and Sutton etc ahead of them. Double winning second tier side, and then stayed up too.

In my 30 years watching the club there’s not been many times where I’ve thought... this team really knows what it’s doing. This team is really maximising the resources available to it. I think that now though, and I can’t wait to see what we go on to achieve. Maybe win a cup, maybe get to top six, maybe both, maybe neither.

All this is happening during the toughest of off field circumstances that we’ve had since the 40’s. It’s that final factor that makes this team the best in my time, in my opinion. It’s all well and good doing this in normal times. Doing this with a squad that’s been hit hard by a global pandemic and had to forfeit games due to it...? Different gravy.

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

I’ve never listened to it to be honest, I just knew there was a Saints podcast out there calling for Goody’s head. If that was a misrepresentation of its content fair enough. Hopefully you’ve held your hand up in recent episodes, might even tune in...

Well, considering you interact with the Twitter account of the podcast on a semi-regular basis, I assumed you’d have listened to or heard of It.. My mistake.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it if you do indeed give it a listen. 

Well, considering you interact with the Twitter account of the podcast on a semi-regular basis, I assumed you’d have listened to or heard of It.. My mistake.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it if you do indeed give it a listen. 

I interact with plenty of St Mirren fan accounts on twitter, of which you are one. I never said I hadn’t heard of your podcast, I just apologised if I had misrepresented your content.

I also disagree that this is the best Saints team of the last 30 years, the 2013 side just trumps it for excitement and having some top-class individuals - that side couldn't defend particularly well but by god could it attack. In saying that, my view on that could yet change before this season is out.

I have to admit I have egg on my face from earlier this season. Jim Goodwin has proven me, and a lot of people, wrong - and it's absolutely fucking glorious. I love the man, he is the only cup-winning captain in my lifetime and he will be in my greatest 11 for as long as I live.

The strength in depth we now have - particularly in midfield - is amazing, considering how paper thin we were just a couple of months back. I still have reservations about the likes of Erwin, although fair play to the big man for getting on the scoresheet today, but our ability to bring someone like Obika off the bench speaks volumes. The fact guys like MacPherson, Flynn and Foley are on the bench speaks even bigger volumes.

We are one or two players away from being a genuine top-six squad now.

All I want for Christmas, is new deals for Connolly and Doyle-Hayes. Make it happen Fitzy!

Something else that is worth mentioning. We are 11 unbeaten but how bizarre is it that this run includes those uninspiring draws against Morton and QOTS? They seem like a lifetime ago already. Another sign of how far we've come.

13 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Something else that is worth mentioning. We are 11 unbeaten but how bizarre is it that this run includes those uninspiring draws against Morton and QOTS? They seem like a lifetime ago already. Another sign of how far we've come.

I think they were crucial, in that they instilled confidence in the side, which is absolutely critical.

I dont think Lex is wrong about the Danny Lennon side to be honest. They were a team that for me, were always less than the sum of their parts. Always capable of pulling huge performances and wins out the bag, but never capable of doing it consistently. Winning the cup was amazing, but it was just another example of a team that were good enough to rise to the occasion in big matches, without ever being able to put together a consistent run of form for run of the mill fixtures. 

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

I dont think Lex is wrong about the Danny Lennon side to be honest. They were a team that for me, were always less than the sum of their parts. Always capable of pulling huge performances and wins out the bag, but never capable of doing it consistently. Winning the cup was amazing, but it was just another example of a team that were good enough to rise to the occasion in big matches, without ever being able to put together a consistent run of form for run of the mill fixtures. 

I'm inclined to agree. When you look back at that squad, it was easily a top six team in terms of quality, but somehow conspired not to. Alright defence, incredible midfield, and the best striker most of us will see playing for Saints (until his legs went).

That was clearly what did for Danny Lennon in the end. Well-trodden ground, but the mistake wasn't letting him go: it was failing to replace him with a football manager.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm inclined to agree. When you look back at that squad, it was easily a top six team in terms of quality, but somehow conspired not to. Alright defence, incredible midfield, and the best striker most of us will see playing for Saints (until his legs went).

That was clearly what did for Danny Lennon in the end. Well-trodden ground, but the mistake wasn't letting him go: it was failing to replace him with a football manager.

Yeah, agreed. I'm not sure Lennon would have done much better than Craig/Teale to be honest. Lennon would have had to deal with Thommo getting injured and never coming back properly, Teale and Goodwin being another year older and pretty much done, and McGowan leaving due to his off field issues. 

We needed a fresh approach, someone to come in and clear out some dead wood and rebuild the squad. Instead we got Tommy Craig.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

The cup run itself was perfect though. Can't imagine we'll ever repeat that. Knocking out Aberdeen, beating one of the OF 3-2.................

Apologies if it's been mentioned before. Watching Kilmarnock v Aberdeen just now.  An impressive number of flags covering the seats. 

Any reason why we dont have any flags on show?

Always looks good on TV. 

2 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned before. Watching Kilmarnock v Aberdeen just now.  An impressive number of flags covering the seats. 

Any reason why we dont have any flags on show?

Always looks good on TV. 

A lot of the historic flags fans had don’t meet the fire regulations.

There are a few on show from the Chivas and Cockles Wilson travel clubs.

Edited by Guest