The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

The boy does everything.

Different type of player to Magennis, but offers much more to the team overall, with a touch of class.

Not as attack minded as Magennis, but Connolly has boosted that particular area.

Doyle-hayes looks very decent.  Last season you couldn't imagine Foley  being on the bench when fit. Over the last few sesson we have pulled out decent wins when we have been sitting 12th, to drag ourselves back into the pack af the bottom. (Which has been as good as it got) Instead of going into another slump and constantly looking for Hamilton's results, would be good to kick on to the dizzy heights of mid table.

Weird to think after what happened the other week we're not in the bottom two - and we could still end up getting another crack at Hamilton and Motherwell depending on the appeals.

Would be nice to get a few more goals though - think we've scored more than once in a league game this year (admittedly eight didn't get played) which was our last trip to Fir Park. Won't complain if we win every game 1-0, mind!

Does anyone seriously think the forfeits will be overturned?
I’d be amazed if they changed their mind and took the points back off of Motherwell and Accies.
I wouldn't have thought so but then again it's the SPFL we are dealing with here.

Better dealing with it with the view of worst case scenario and assume the points are gone.

37 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I’d be amazed if they changed their mind and took the points back off of Motherwell and Accies.

I do think the fact that it's very unfair to clubs other than us is a serious issue. If Ross County go down, finishing two points behind Accies, it's going to stink.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I do think the fact that it's very unfair to clubs other than us is a serious issue. If Ross County go down, finishing two points behind Accies, it's going to stink.

That's the point I've been making since the start. Although the club clearly think the punishment meted out was unduly harsh, I don't actually have any issue with us being punished for our wrongdoings but Motherwell and Hamilton most certainly should not have benefitted from it - that solution hurts every club in the immediate vicinity of both clubs rather than just ourselves and Killie.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's the point I've been making since the start. Although the club clearly think the punishment meted out was unduly harsh, I don't actually have any issue with us being punished for our wrongdoings but Motherwell and Hamilton most certainly should not have benefitted from it - that solution hurts every club in the immediate vicinity of both clubs rather than just ourselves and Killie.

Yep. Without those two wins, Motherwell's form is rotten. Accies should be bottom.

I don't want to whinge about it too much as, like you, I believe we did wrong and should be punished. But those teams ought not to be rewarded.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yep. Without those two wins, Motherwell's form is rotten. Accies should be bottom.

I don't want to whinge about it too much as, like you, I believe we did wrong and should be punished. But those teams ought not to be rewarded.

Given Saints breach was found to have been severe it seems unlikely that they're just going to let you off with just a suspended £40k fine. You effectively get away with zero "punishment" providing the club don't go back to letting the players lick each others faces or whatever it was they were up to.

So going by the "sporting integrity" argument that seems to be flavour of the month around these parts the alternative is what? Points deduction with suspended fine? Say deducted 3 points for each game that had to be postponed? Alternatively no points deduction and the SPFL take the cash off the club?

Dropping 6 points would put you bottom of the league on 9 points (albeit with 2 games in hand) with Accies 2nd bottom on 11.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given Saints breach was found to have been severe it seems unlikely that they're just going to let you off with just a suspended £40k fine. You effectively get away with zero "punishment" providing the club don't go back to letting the players lick each others faces or whatever it was they were up to.

So going by the "sporting integrity" argument that seems to be flavour of the month around these parts the alternative is what? Points deduction with suspended fine? Say deducted 3 points for each game that had to be postponed? Alternatively no points deduction and the SPFL take the cash off the club?

Dropping 6 points would put you bottom of the league on 9 points (albeit with 2 games in hand) on Accies who'd be 2nd bottom on 11.

At the end of the day, this would be ultimately a lot fairer than the current situation.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I fear the alternative is for the 3-0 results to be overturned and we are get a 6 point deduction. That way Motherwell and Accies are not receiving points to the detriment of teams in the bottom 6 and the only club punished is ourselves.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A fine would have been the correct line of punishment.  Match forfeits has turned our league into a greater laughing stock. 

Hopefully the appeal process corrects this.

17 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Fair fucks to Jim for that interview tbh. He didn't need to openly admit he had made poor choices earlier this season.

I think we all knew we were capable of so much more and that players in the squad were being wasted by playing route one to a striker that can't hold the ball up...  That's certainly where my frustration/anger stemmed from and in all honesty, I couldn't see Jim changing our approach and genuinely feared a defeat every week resulting in quick relegation. Hence me shouting for him to get the bullet... which may have been a bit hasty in hindsight.

I'm glad we've just about turned the corner and if we can get a decent striker in the door during January (and the shite ones out!) and continue to perform like we have recently, then we'll be doing more than OK come the end of the season.

1 hour ago, MH-RD said:

Fair fucks to Jim for that interview tbh. He didn't need to openly admit he had made poor choices earlier this season.

I think we all knew we were capable of so much more and that players in the squad were being wasted by playing route one to a striker that can't hold the ball up...  That's certainly where my frustration/anger stemmed from and in all honesty, I couldn't see Jim changing our approach and genuinely feared a defeat every week resulting in quick relegation. Hence me shouting for him to get the bullet... which may have been a bit hasty in hindsight.

I'm glad we've just about turned the corner and if we can get a decent striker in the door during January (and the shite ones out!) and continue to perform like we have recently, then we'll be doing more than OK come the end of the season.

I liked the way he at least positioned the poor choices, admitting the personnel issues had forced him to retreat a little. I personally wonder if Covid's been around the camp a little more than we've been led to believe. Certainly Durmus looks like a new player now vs where he was at the start of the season, and I'd argue Obika is looking sharper too. 

The whole thing does help to explain some of his odder choices - Connolly not getting a start until recently being the prime candidate.

15 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I liked the way he at least positioned the poor choices, admitting the personnel issues had forced him to retreat a little. I personally wonder if Covid's been around the camp a little more than we've been led to believe. Certainly Durmus looks like a new player now vs where he was at the start of the season, and I'd argue Obika is looking sharper too. 

The whole thing does help to explain some of his odder choices - Connolly not getting a start until recently being the prime candidate.

I think it almost certainly has, since before the season started as well. I think more than anything though it's the disruption to players training and the fitness issues it's caused, both with the guys who had it, and the new players signed who hadn't played football in months, then had to go straight back to sitting at home for weeks. The only times we've been able to really send out a settled, mostly fit team has been at the start of the season, where we picked up 7 points from the first 12 available (I think...) and then since the league cup group stages started, and even then we had a few dodgy performances and were probably quite lucky with the standard of opposition we faced. It's only really properly clicked again since the Livi game.

Edited by GAD

It’s just so refreshing to see a St Mirren team that’s well coached and well drilled. It’s not something I’ve seen often in the last 30 years.

You just don’t go on a run like this unless the organisation is there.

We’ve won four league games this season, every one of them one nil, brilliant stuff.

Our game plan is to start on the front foot, try nick the goal and then defend the lead. It’s not the prettiest to watch but, by and large, it’s been working.

We do need a striker as support to Obika, but in the last ten games we’ve only failed to score in one of them, which is an impressive run in itself. It’s not like we are grinding out 0-0’s every week.

Got St Johnstone, Hibs and Ross County in the next three league games. That’s a real chance to put more points on the board and get some distance between ourselves and the bottom two. Then if we do get anything back from the appeal it’s a bonus, not a necessity.

On 13/12/2020 at 13:34, Stu said:

Weird to think after what happened the other week we're not in the bottom two - and we could still end up getting another crack at Hamilton and Motherwell depending on the appeals.

Would be nice to get a few more goals though - think we've scored more than once in a league game this year (admittedly eight didn't get played) which was our last trip to Fir Park. Won't complain if we win every game 1-0, mind!

Aye, like that.