The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Maybe you can realise how hurtful it can be to make such sarcastic and passively aggressive posts on a football forum. I assume the 82 in your username signifies the year you were born, which would make you 38 or 39. Have a word with yourself you evil idiot. 

After much thought, I’ve decided to offer a full apology. I get carried away some times.

As much as he’s correct in what he’s saying with regards to the strikers, ultimately the buck stops with him. He manages the team, he buys the players, he picks the players, he sets out the training schedule, he plans out the tactics, everything that happens on the pitch basically, is under his management. He has 6 days (mostly) between games to work on this along with his coaches etc. When I was at University we done a course in quality control, where it got drummed into us that 90% of all issues that arise within an organisation can be directly traced back to decisions made by management.
In an Engineering company, if a lathe worker machines a component to the wrong specification because he’s been given the wrong instruction, you don’t blame the guy on the lathe. You look at what’s went wrong in the process and you start from the top and work your way down. I understand it’s hard to compare a football club with an engineering firm but the principles are exactly the same.
Jim is obviously a legend at the club and he will be given time, he’s a really nice guy and a brilliant ambassador for St. Mirren, numerous players have said recently that it was Jim who persuaded them to sign for the club when they had other offers. I actually think the team has been playing pretty well in the past few games and it’s the lack of quality around the opponents goal that is hurting the team, but quality around the opponents goal is a massive part of being a good football team and changing that for the better lies ultimately with Jim Goodwin and only Jim Goodwin. 
Can you blame Goodwin for Erwin missing that chance against Aberdeen? Any Premiership striker should be tucking that away. Any professional striker should be tucking that away.

You can blame Goodwin for the team not creating chances but when you see Obika and Erwin miss from 6 yards out that is on the players. I agree with the point that he signed them and it ultimately comes down to him but come on they are absolute sitters.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can you blame Goodwin for Erwin missing that chance against Aberdeen? Any Premiership striker should be tucking that away. Any professional striker should be tucking that away.

You can blame Goodwin for the team not creating chances but when you see Obika and Erwin miss from 6 yards out that is on the players. I agree with the point that he signed them and it ultimately comes down to him but come on they are absolute sitters.

I absolutely cannot blame Goodwin for Erwin missing that chance. But I can blame Goodwin for signing Erwin when he hardly came with glowing reviews from County fans, or the Iranian team he played with before that. I can blame Goodwin for bringing Erwin on in that game when, in my opinion, Morias would have been a more obvious choice. 

This comes across that I’m slating Goodwin, which I’m really not. I understand when the players cross the line at 3 o clock on a Saturday Goodwin is limited in what he can do, but at all other times it’s on Goodwin. I very much want him to succeed and I really hope he does, he’s not stupid, I’m sure he’s very aware that the quality in front of goal needs to improve. I’m sure they are working hard on that aspect of the game at training every day so hopefully we see some improvements starting today. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

As much as he’s correct in what he’s saying with regards to the strikers, ultimately the buck stops with him. He manages the team, he buys the players, he picks the players, he sets out the training schedule, he plans out the tactics, everything that happens on the pitch basically, is under his management. He has 6 days (mostly) between games to work on this along with his coaches etc. When I was at University we done a course in quality control, where it got drummed into us that 90% of all issues that arise within an organisation can be directly traced back to decisions made by management.

In an Engineering company, if a lathe worker machines a component to the wrong specification because he’s been given the wrong instruction, you don’t blame the guy on the lathe. You look at what’s went wrong in the process and you start from the top and work your way down. I understand it’s hard to compare a football club with an engineering firm but the principles are exactly the same.

Jim is obviously a legend at the club and he will be given time, he’s a really nice guy and a brilliant ambassador for St. Mirren, numerous players have said recently that it was Jim who persuaded them to sign for the club when they had other offers. I actually think the team has been playing pretty well in the past few games and it’s the lack of quality around the opponents goal that is hurting the team, but quality around the opponents goal is a massive part of being a good football team and changing that for the better lies ultimately with Jim Goodwin and only Jim Goodwin. 

Agree with all that, but it's within his remit to try different motivational techniques to get a tune out of the strikers. The carrot hasn't worked so far, so it's reasonable to try the stick.

You're completely right, the buck stops with Jim, but he's right to try something different here.

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Agree with all that, but it's within his remit to try different motivational techniques to get a tune out of the strikers. The carrot hasn't worked so far, so it's reasonable to try the stick.

You're completely right, the buck stops with Jim, but he's right to try something different here.

No I do agree with that. Better managers than Jim have tried similar tactics, just got to hope it sparks the correct reaction from the players. 

I obviously don’t know any of the players personally, but from any interviews I’ve seen there does genuinely seem to be a good atmosphere amongst the team. I think Goodwins personality helps with that too, when he’s out on the training pitch, speaking one on one etc. he’s a very positive, well spoken guy. I don’t think any of the players will react negatively to what Jim has came out and said, they will probably know themselves they haven’t been good enough. 

Good to be a buddie. Go to Fir Park, keep a clean sheet and win and it’s not really a surprise. That’s where are at at the moment, fantastic stuff.

One for the stattos. When was the last time we went nine competitive games unbeaten in a top flight season?

We certainly go into the quarter final on a high this midweek but I fear that will be a step too far and the run will come to an end.

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is to see Saint Mirren win away...  😁 

Just seen the result, as been busy this afternoon. What a result! I think we might be alright this year, after all. 

I don't think it's a huge coincidence that this run is coinciding with us finding a settled starting 11, and a much more balanced one at that. Connolly and Durmus on the wings gives us genuine width and pace, and I can't imagine too many defences will enjoy playing against them. I think if we can find someone to challenge Obika for the number 9 position, who can add a goal or two at this level (something we haven't seen from our current crop of back-up strikers) we will be in a strong position.

1 hour ago, BC17 said:

I don't think it's a huge coincidence that this run is coinciding with us finding a settled starting 11, and a much more balanced one at that. Connolly and Durmus on the wings gives us genuine width and pace, and I can't imagine too many defences will enjoy playing against them. I think if we can find someone to challenge Obika for the number 9 position, who can add a goal or two at this level (something we haven't seen from our current crop of back-up strikers) we will be in a strong position.

Totally agree. The one player to make a difference though is Doyle Hayes. Boy is class. Magennis who ??

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Totally agree. The one player to make a difference though is Doyle Hayes. Boy is class. Magennis who ??

It's absolutely ridiculous that we effectively got Doyle-Hayes in exchange for Magennis and some money. I know they're working on that contract extension; it'd be amazing if we could get him to take it.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I said at the time that it was really disappointing to lose Magennis but that I thought we were well covered in midfield with Foley, Erhahon, MacPherson and McGrath. Now we've got Doyle Hayes, Foley can't get a look in and MacPherson is also down the pecking order.

I really hope he does extend his stay, if only so we can demand a few quid for him, as I'd be astounded if there weren't a few teams in Scotland and England keeping tabs on him. 

59 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that we effectively got Doyle-Hayes in exchange for Magennis and some money. I know they're working on that contract extension; it'd be amazing if we could get him to take it.

The boy does everything.

Different type of player to Magennis, but offers much more to the team overall, with a touch of class.

Not as attack minded as Magennis, but Connolly has boosted that particular area.

I said at the time that it was really disappointing to lose Magennis but that I thought we were well covered in midfield with Foley, Erhahon, MacPherson and McGrath. Now we've got Doyle Hayes, Foley can't get a look in and MacPherson is also down the pecking order.

I really hope he does extend his stay, if only so we can demand a few quid for him, as I'd be astounded if there weren't a few teams in Scotland and England keeping tabs on him. 

The slithering one in Edinburgh has probably tapped him up already [emoji849]

Absolutely delighted though. Jim has weathered the storm that was gathering. There was obviously some genuine concern but it's clear now with everyone fit we have a good starting 11 with decent options on the bench, albeit with a lack of fire power.

Everyone has calmed down again.

Cup game first then Perth Saints at home, Hibs & County away. 3 tricky league games but with the form we were in we could take 6-7 points which would be incredible.

We'll deal with them on Wednesday first though.

Looking at our defence and midfield, if we had a forward line that could compliment them, we'd be definitely pushing for the top half. 

Discounting the 6 phantom goals the SPFL gave against us, we have only actually let in 16 goals in 14 games. Third best in the league. Half of those 16 were against the three best sides in the league which means we've only let in 8 in the other 11 games. Whatever way you look at it, that's a pretty mean defence, if we can sort ourselves out going forward in January, we're going to be OK. 

We had a bad few months (self inflicted in some ways it sounds like) when we were fucked by Covid, injury and some random moments of stupidity from players like Shaughnessy and Tait. Jim was getting a lot of stick for chopping and changing all the time, but it sounds like things were a lot worse than we knew with various players health and fitness and it wasn't always his fault, and we effectively had to do a second pre season over the League cup group games.

Now we actually have a fully fit squad and a settled team actually at full match fitness we look a different prospect. If we could start scoring goals we could at least not have to worry too much about relegation.