The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Oh, listen, if we are to get punished then it's clear the points going to Motherwell and Hamilton rather than us being deducted them certainly benefits us more - albeit not hugely. A deduction is a positive for all the teams around us; Hamilton, Livingston, County and St Johnstone and would open up a gap at the bottom.

Thing is, while I would 'prefer' the games being forfeited, if you look at it in context of the whole league the deduction and/or fine seems the more sensible option with the games rescheduled for a later date.

That's the spirit! :lol: 

As I said, if the process has not been completed, the points should never have been awarded.  There has been a bit of excitement thereafter.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

As I said, if the process has not been completed, the points should never have been awarded.

I actually thought at the time the decision being made and the points being awarded followed each other quickly. To the point I assumed there was no route of appeal. I guess the SPFL (and it's always dangerous to second guess the SPFL) assumed that as both clubs had plead guilty, neither would push back on the punishment.

If anything I'm sure all this has provided grist for the mill of the Hearts fans, and considering we are a generous lot I'd like think that is our Christmas present to the Edinburgh club.

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

I actually thought at the time the decision being made and the points being awarded followed each other quickly. To the point I assumed there was no route of appeal. I guess the SPFL (and it's always dangerous to second guess the SPFL) assumed that as both clubs had plead guilty, neither would push back on the punishment.

If anything I'm sure all this has provided grist for the mill of the Hearts fans, and considering we are a generous lot I'd like think that is our Christmas present to the Edinburgh club.

Yes but they had to get doon.

The whole thing is farcical and an over reach by the league to award points when the possibility of an appeal existed. Even if we lose the appeal, we would have a case of it being a predetermined judgement by the action of awarding the points in the first place

Just another example of them making up the rules as they go along.

Though they must be relieved they didn’t punish Utd for their team photo before they found out Celtic had done it as well.................sweep, sweep, move along, nothing to see here 😀

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Hope he is scouting with glasses on this time. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Probably the best interview I've read of his.

He's certainly pulled no punches when talking about our striker's poor finishing.
Although, prior to this, he's been positive about them, even when they've not been scoring.

While we weren't playing particularly well and weren't creating much he remained supportive but it's pretty obvious from this interview that his patience is wearing thin. It must be pretty frustrating for everyone to see chances squandered.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, FTOF said:
He's certainly pulled no punches when talking about our striker's poor finishing.
Although, prior to this, he's been positive about them, even when they've not been scoring.

While we weren't playing particularly well and weren't creating much he remained supportive but it's pretty obvious from this interview that his patience is wearing thin. It must be pretty frustrating for everyone to see chances squandered.

Exactly this. I was one of the most vocal that it was impossible to be critical of our forwards when the midfield were creating so little. 

However, we've created enough going back to the Morton match to win a dozen games and are now in the realm of being wasteful. 

How has young  Sam Ellis been doing with you?

St Mirren have been great with him over the past few years as he's grown up.

I heard he was supposed to be on the bench with the intention of getting some game time for the Motherwell game that never happened.

He's a pal of my son and a smashing big lad and I always hoped he'd make it.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

7 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

How has young  Sam Ellis been doing with you?

St Mirren have been great with him over the past few years as he's grown up.

I heard he was supposed to be on the bench with the intention of getting some game time for the Motherwell game that never happened.

He's a pal of my son and a smashing big lad and I always hoped he'd make it.

He’s never kicked a football for St.Mirren and likely never will. 

On 10/12/2020 at 21:47, Billy Jean King said:
On 10/12/2020 at 21:08, FTOF said:

As much as he’s correct in what he’s saying with regards to the strikers, ultimately the buck stops with him. He manages the team, he buys the players, he picks the players, he sets out the training schedule, he plans out the tactics, everything that happens on the pitch basically, is under his management. He has 6 days (mostly) between games to work on this along with his coaches etc. When I was at University we done a course in quality control, where it got drummed into us that 90% of all issues that arise within an organisation can be directly traced back to decisions made by management.

In an Engineering company, if a lathe worker machines a component to the wrong specification because he’s been given the wrong instruction, you don’t blame the guy on the lathe. You look at what’s went wrong in the process and you start from the top and work your way down. I understand it’s hard to compare a football club with an engineering firm but the principles are exactly the same.

Jim is obviously a legend at the club and he will be given time, he’s a really nice guy and a brilliant ambassador for St. Mirren, numerous players have said recently that it was Jim who persuaded them to sign for the club when they had other offers. I actually think the team has been playing pretty well in the past few games and it’s the lack of quality around the opponents goal that is hurting the team, but quality around the opponents goal is a massive part of being a good football team and changing that for the better lies ultimately with Jim Goodwin and only Jim Goodwin. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

As much as he’s correct in what he’s saying with regards to the strikers, ultimately the buck stops with him. He manages the team, he buys the players, he picks the players, he sets out the training schedule, he plans out the tactics, everything that happens on the pitch basically, is under his management. He has 6 days (mostly) between games to work on this along with his coaches etc. When I was at University we done a course in quality control, where it got drummed into us that 90% of all issues that arise within an organisation can be directly traced back to decisions made by management.

In an Engineering company, if a lathe worker machines a component to the wrong specification because he’s been given the wrong instruction, you don’t blame the guy on the lathe. You look at what’s went wrong in the process and you start from the top and work your way down. I understand it’s hard to compare a football club with an engineering firm but the principles are exactly the same.

Jim is obviously a legend at the club and he will be given time, he’s a really nice guy and a brilliant ambassador for St. Mirren, numerous players have said recently that it was Jim who persuaded them to sign for the club when they had other offers. I actually think the team has been playing pretty well in the past few games and it’s the lack of quality around the opponents goal that is hurting the team, but quality around the opponents goal is a massive part of being a good football team and changing that for the better lies ultimately on Jim Goodwin and only Jim Goodwin. 

Back to middle we are the shizzle. Give us a goal scorer.

4 minutes ago, ninja82 said:

Back to middle we are the shizzle. Give us a goal scorer.

Durmus and Connolly along with a guy who could put the ball in the net has the potential to make St. Mirren a top 6 team. The back 4 pick themselves every week when fit and is as strong as anything outside the OF, middle to front is where the problems lie. 

Durmus and Connolly along with a guy who could put the ball in the net has the potential to make St. Mirren a top 6 team. The back 4 pick themselves every week when fit and is as strong as anything outside the OF, middle to front is where the problems lie. 

Thanks mate. Never realised that.

6 minutes ago, ninja82 said:

Thanks mate. Never realised that.

Maybe you can realise how hurtful it can be to make such sarcastic and passively aggressive posts on a football forum. I assume the 82 in your username signifies the year you were born, which would make you 38 or 39. Have a word with yourself you evil idiot. 

Edited by IrishBhoy