The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Brandon Mason made one appearance for United then disappeared mysteriously with no explanation. 

Sounds like you may see him even less than we did.

Cov fans (on Twitter and Instagram... I know, I know) seem to rate him. 

Guess we'll find out his condition tomorrow night, if he's anywhere near our squad. 

I've kept my powder dry over the last week or so because I'm genuinely fucked off how things are going. It's a mix between, bad managerial decisions, poor player decisions, poor player form, questionable board statements and just down right bad luck both on and off the pitch.

However, moving forward, we needed cover at the back, that's something we've got, the Magennis deal will bring in money in the short term to deal with the lack of fans in the stadium (and possibly a decent sell on long term) and it's not like we were thin in the midfield nor was there any guarantee Magennis would have been the solution to the problem we currently have.

The setup, strategy and team selection was correct against Aberdeen (even Sheron put in a decent shift) - the fly on the ointment was not bringing fresh legs on, but I'm not sure that would have realistically changed the result, although that's for a different discussion - and if we can put in a decent performance against Thistle and QoS (and you'd hope we can if only because we are now some way into our season and this is just the start of theirs) - then perhaps we could start to see us putting together a bit of a run in the league as we have winnable games coming up.

The form of both MacPherson and Erhahon has been good, and in many ways I feel it's us relying on Foley to generally run the midfield single handedly that has sort of got us into the position we are. It's clear to me, he's not playing at the level he was last season - that's not me singling him out btw, just that it's been notable that ball retention in the midfield has not been what it could be. When all fit and up for it, we have a strong back 5 and while not likely to be 20 goal a season you can see that Erwin and Obika will score. McGrath and Connolly both look like they just need a system that suits them, Morias looked like he'd found his most effective role out on the wing and I'm sure Durmus can't remain shit all season because we know he is a good player when he's on it.

All in all, it's been beyond frustrating for all sorts of reasons, but it's not all totally lost. I sometimes lean to being a bit of a happy clapper, but the above isn't just hopeful spin, it really just needs us to create a bit of momentum and perhaps the LC is just the opportunity to do that.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

While we're clarifying the Brandon situation with Coventry, could we confirm when the second leg of the Simod cup will be played and with which squads 1987 or 2020?

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/forgotten-final-the-unfinished-story-of-the-1987-anglo-scottish-challenge

The Simod Cup (later the Zenith Data Systems Cup) was the sponsored Full Members Cup, brought in to pad out the English season after their clubs were banned from Europe. So nothing to do with the Anglo Scottish challenge with Coventry.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Did you know in the 59/60 season, Saints (Scottish Cup holders) beat Nottm Forest (English Cup holders) 5-4 on aggregate?

I didn't until I read the article, apologies if that sounds sarcastic, to check the name of the Trophy (Simod) but the question remains - which squad?

Edited by btb

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

McGrath and Connolly both look like they just need a system that suits them, Morias looked like he'd found his most effective role out on the wing and I'm sure Durmus can't remain shit all season because we know he is a good player when he's on it.

This is what worries me a bit: the 3-5-2 was one of our better performances of the season, and McGrath/Morias did well in alien wingback positions, but that's not really a solution. I did wonder if we could use the new defenders to go with five across the back - perm it however you want, Tait in the middle with Mason on the left; Finlayson in the middle with Tait at LWB and Fraser or Morias on the right - leaving Ethan and Cammy in midfield, McGrath in his proper position and two strikers up front.

Until we realise that 3-5-2 is typically a bombscare and we have to change again.

I'm with Ric on looking at the positives. I was really pissed off after the Killie game with the formation and tactics. However the Aberdeen game showed what we have been missing all season - decent formation; players playing to their strengths and an energy in midfield we hadn't seen up until now.

As much as I like Kyle and am sorry to see him go and the circumstances under which he went I am delighted with Cammy McPherson being back in the engine room. And even more delighted with Ethan. I was not impressed when he played two seasons ago and it wasn't him playing out of position it was more his attitude and his constant panicking and terrible lack of game awareness. But what a different player on Fri night. We now have two young midfielders as good as Kyle IMHO. And even Sheron and Morias played well.

And just when we scream for more defenders we play with a back 3 who were immense with no-one playing out of position. And we have strengthened with one being highly rated at 19 and a constant in the NI under 19 squad. Hopefully a longer term project with a good sell on. And with Connolly, Flynn, Tait, and Dennis to return and Durmus to hopefully find some form we know he is capable of, then the outlook is a hell of a lot better than after the Killie game.

I'm honestly not sure why you're still beating this drum. Our squad is already thin as hell. Are you suggesting we should have attempted the first round of games with even fewer players?
The Magennis leaving rumours have been circulating for a while; not ideal that he's gone, but he's been injured anyway; yes the fullback appears to have been a huge f**k-up.
ButI still can't believe you think we should have waited to the end of the window to do more business. It's literally nonsensical.
He's a clown who is best ignored or ridiculed.

19 hours ago, Hendo said:

We have targets?

Erm, who knows - I'm more disappointed that it transpired on the last day of the window again 'cos the out-of-contract market is more hit than miss.

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

We will need a permanent position for a statement writer with the rate of statements you want from the club.

I hope he doesn't apply for the position, the lack of spelling, grammar and the copious "romours" would be worse that the current silence.