The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Gavin Galloway? Ryan McCay? Laurie Ellis? Eddie Malone?

We've had a few stinkers.

I reckon Gavin Galloway is a bit unfair too - he often makes Saints All Time  Worst Teams but he came through our youth set-up and gained age group caps for Scotland and was touted as our next big player when he was introduced as an 18/19-y-o to a mediocre first team roundabout the end of the Jimmy Bone era.

Like I say he struggled in a mediocre team got a bit of stick and never made it back, now I know 90-odd% of young players don't make the grade but who knows if he could have been introduced in better circumstances.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Considering the team Erwin was at in Azerbaijan, I'm surprised St Johnstone didn't pick him up.

Our time of signing mid-20 crock strikers with no pedigree of scoring goals, based on their height and "potential", thankfully fucked off after the Denny Johnstone affair.

Edited by RandomGuy.

39 minutes ago, btb said:

I reckon Gavin Galloway is a bit unfair too - he often makes Saints All Time  Worst Teams but he came through our youth set-up and gained age group caps for Scotland and was touted as our next big player when he was introduced as an 18/19-y-o to a mediocre first team roundabout the end of the Jimmy Bone era.

Like I say he struggled in a mediocre team got a bit of stick and never made it back, now I know 90-odd% of young players don't make the grade but who knows if he could have been introduced in better circumstances.

Was Gavin Galloway not a striker when he came through the youth system, then got shunted to leftback when he got into the first team? I'm sure that happened to someone. Anyway, no one will come close to Camara when it comes to worse leftback - he was a large part of why our form was so bad during the first half of 2009.

Anyway, can't say I'm too enamoured at us signing Erwin. He hasn't been particularly prolific at any of his clubs. Maybe Goodwin sees him as a replacement for Jakubiak and is happy to accept a lack of goals if it means getting more from Obika.

I quite like the idea of having four strikers as it provides plenty of options and competition, but seems a bit odd Goodwin is happy having four natural forwards yet only two natural centre-halfs. I know we have guys who can fill in there but not ideal - I'm sure we'dall rather see Foley in midfield and fans of Tait and Fraser's former clubs say they aren't too good in the middle.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Anyway, can't say I'm too enamoured at us signing Erwin. He hasn't been particularly prolific at any of his clubs. Maybe Goodwin sees him as a replacement for Jakubiak and is happy to accept a lack of goals if it means getting more from Obika.

I think Goodwin likes Morias for his workrate, strength and bustling/closing down, but I think his days as a striker are completely numbered. He'll get games out wide or not at all, probably from the bench.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

tenor.gif

No i got it, your jokes entirely consist of farmer jokes. Just couldn't resist a wee dig at such an average signing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

No i got it, your jokes entirely consist of farmer jokes. Just couldn't resist a wee dig at such an average signing.

The very fact you've gone balls deep desperate to pour cold water on this signing means that it's a signing that annoys you. Which is good.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Statement confirming the Covid diagnosis. Doesn't name the player, but I think we all know it's Alnwick.

Time for Urminsky to break through!

Seriously though, we already had Shaughnessy serving the second game from his harsh red card ban so losing Alnwick from that defence is not ideal to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Time for Urminsky to break through!

Seriously though, we already had Shaughnessy serving the second game from his harsh red card ban so losing Alnwick from that defence is not ideal to say the least.

All-out attack is the best form of defence. Or... we'll fudge a solution with a few square pegs in round holes and lose 3-0 with Hibs taking their foot off the gas after about 65 minutes.

Edit: 😂 @ Urminsky. At least our back up is half-decent.

Edited by Coventry Saint

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Goodwin likes Morias for his workrate, strength and bustling/closing down, but I think his days as a striker are completely numbered. He'll get games out wide or not at all, probably from the bench.

Aye, it wouldn't surprise me if Morias goes - especially as we brought in another winger recently. He's had plenty of chances and works hard but there's no end product.

Didn't realise we were looking at a leftback on loan from England as well. Was there not someone from Norwich we were linked with a while back?

I can see why Goody is signing Erwin as we do not have much physical presence beyond the back four. Jakubiak maybe did not score goals but he had a physical presence in holding the ball and laying it off and helped Obika no end. Obika scores within the six yard box mainly but for a big guy doesn't have great physicality about him and someone who can do the dirty work may improve his scoring rate. Erwin looked a player when he broke through at Motherwell and gave us some hard times then. maybe Goodwin hopes he can get Erwin back into scoring goals or at least making the ball stick deep in the opposition half instead of it coming straight back to our defence.

10 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Lee Erwin signing. 

Very strange move. I might have kept him for numbers, I’m very surprised he’s found another club at this level.  He’s looked alright in parts for County, but also as if he could play for a week and never score.  With Stewart also on his way out, I could see this being a loan deal.   Either way though, not particularly sorry to see him go, but I do guarantee he scores on his debut for St Mirren.

Not sure County ever played him correctly, but he never looked like a bulldozing target man - he actually seemed to prefer playing facing the opponents.

Edited by Savage Henry

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was there not someone from Norwich we were linked with a while back?

The McCallum lad?

The only thing about that is Norwich have sold their main LB to Newcastle recently so you'd expect him to be kept as cover.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

The very fact you've gone balls deep desperate to pour cold water on this signing means that it's a signing that annoys you. Which is good.

You've read far too much into a half arsed jibe tbh.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've read far too much into a half arsed jibe tbh.

Sure thing, I mean you replied within 12 minute of me posting so you know it's clear you are desperate to get involved in our success story. Understandable of course, it's always that way with supporters from teams below us in the league.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You literally posted a serious response to a 'tractor' joke on the last page.

I made a half arsed dig at St Mirren in response to a half arsed go at a farmer joke.

Unless you genuinely think I'm comparing Erwin to Johnstone.

Erwin is a good player, I think he'd be a great addition for Saints. I thought it was weird when County signed him at the time because they already had quite a few strikers. We didn't want him to leave when he did, but he got a life changing offer from Iran and we didn't want to stand in his way. I'm pretty sure he'd have ended up back at Killie if Clarke (or Dyer) had been in charge last summer.