The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Absolute top trolling there by Jimbo and the boys! :lol:

We get some much needed game time, while Hearts' shallow victory lasts until they realise (a) they should have done that months ago, and (b) they're still in the Championship. Well done!

After my criticisms of him and his range of passing in the last two games, it's interesting to see Sheron at it again yesterday:
image.thumb.png.f91969315786512885284a091a42e9a1.png

Nothing I've seen from this lad so far convinces me that he's anywhere near the standard required.
Against StJ he'd take the ball from one centre half, pass it 5 yards back to the other one and run towards the opposition players so he was marked.

I know he is a young guy coming up from England so it's not fair to be over critical but he didn't protect the defence, he committed about 10 fouls, he is pretty limited on the ball, he doesn't dictate play, he only passes back the way.

Got to think at full strength he doesn't get a game, unless we are going to be spoiling for a point.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Got to think at full strength he doesn't get a game, unless we are going to be spoiling for a point.

Let's say we are at full strength - Flynn and Magennis both fully match fit/sharp, which hopefully they soon will be - what's your starting line-up? It's international break, so everyone's thoughts welcome.

I'd say it would leave us with some near-impossible choices in the middle of the park now.

I'm going 4-2-3-1 and bringing the injured pair straight back in. We miss Flynn's tidy use of the ball in the middle of the park - nobody else really turns with it and moves it on like he does. The whole 'Magennis has to play in the middle' cliche will inevitably get raised here. I guess you could swap him and Flynn if you really wanted to. I'm sticking with McGrath, too, as I think he's been one of our better players so far.  Durmus scrapes in - just - based on needing some width and pace.

Cammy is the most unfortunate to miss out. That leaves us with some decent options on the bench, too - Cammy, Morias, Dennis, Connolly, McAllister all offer something different to what's on the park.

----------------------- Alnwick ---------

Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tait

------------------- Flynn - Foley ---------------

---Magennis ------ McGrath ---- Durmus---

--------------------- Obika -------------------

Your turns. Go.

46 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Let's say we are at full strength - Flynn and Magennis both fully match fit/sharp, which hopefully they soon will be - what's your starting line-up? It's international break, so everyone's thoughts welcome.

I'd say it would leave us with some near-impossible choices in the middle of the park now.

I'm going 4-2-3-1 and bringing the injured pair straight back in. We miss Flynn's tidy use of the ball in the middle of the park - nobody else really turns with it and moves it on like he does. The whole 'Magennis has to play in the middle' cliche will inevitably get raised here. I guess you could swap him and Flynn if you really wanted to. I'm sticking with McGrath, too, as I think he's been one of our better players so far.  Durmus scrapes in - just - based on needing some width and pace.

Cammy is the most unfortunate to miss out. That leaves us with some decent options on the bench, too - Cammy, Morias, Dennis, Connolly, McAllister all offer something different to what's on the park.

Your turns. Go.

Magennis and Flynn have earmarked October 7th Betfred cup game against Thistle. We also have the two new lads signd recently I'm sure they will play a big part in the next few games. 

Sheron is a blunt object, which is what I presumed he was brought in to be. A spoiler, someone with pace who can break up attacks. If you read the comments from the Fleetwood fans, and what Sheron himself said upon joining, that's pretty much the script.

The fact his distribution is so poor, or at least been shown to be recently, that's far more of a concern. I don't mind a player who is only in there to shitfest, but they can't be gifting the opposition the ball right back once they've intercepted it.

We know what he was brought here to do, but the jury is very much out on whether he is the person to do it.

Edited by Ric

Your turns. Go.

Back line and striker picks itself.

---------------Flynn----------Foley---------------

------McGrath----Magennis---Durmus-----

McGrath and Magennis can swap around, both are versatile and can create chances. I think Kyle could do the no10 role very well.

12 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Jack Baird released

Will no doubt get a decent gig in the championship

Completely unsurprising. Best move for all parties if he had zero chance of getting a game for us.

We absolutely need defensive cover now, though. We literally only have four defenders.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Completely unsurprising. Best move for all parties if he had zero chance of getting a game for us.

We absolutely need defensive cover now, though. We literally only have four defenders.

Wonder if that’s the reason? Someone all but confirmed, so this frees up the space.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Is there? 

I think he was just speculating.

I stand by my earlier guess that the only type of player we could possibly bring in here would either be an experienced journeyman who's happy to be back-up, or an up-and-coming young player. In neither case can I see them being better then Baird, but I'm here to be corrected.

Or League One, he is too good for that league but you've got a couple of big clubs that could offer more than a lot of the Championship clubs.

A return to the scene of the crime at the Falkirk Stadium. In amongst all the furore about Shaughnessy’s challenge I saw some Falkirk diddy, in response to Tam McManus, claim Saints fans didn’t think Baird deserved a red for his punch on Miller. Don’t think anyone argued it wasn’t deserved, both crime and punishment. Would be a solid signing for a league 1 or Championship team.

42 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

A return to the scene of the crime at the Falkirk Stadium. In amongst all the furore about Shaughnessy’s challenge I saw some Falkirk diddy, in response to Tam McManus, claim Saints fans didn’t think Baird deserved a red for his punch on Miller. Don’t think anyone argued it wasn’t deserved, both crime and punishment. Would be a solid signing for a league 1 or Championship team.

Dundee perhaps  ? Feel for the big man I dont think we will have seen the last of him in the coming seasons.  He came through our youth system has been at the club from child to adult.  I'm sure he will be feeling gutted.  

3 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

Jack Baird released

Will no doubt get a decent gig in the championship

Always gave his all, but unfortunately just falls a bit short of the level required for Premiership football. 

Hope he gets fixed up with a new club soon.

Edited by Munoz