The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

This thread's always full of St Johnstone fans trying to manufacture a rivalry.

Understandable, they are the third wheel in the Dundee rivalry. They are the league's equivalent to Duncan Norville.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Imagine being decent for a full decade and still having nobody actually care.

It's like an out of town shopping centre. I mean sure, useful on the odd occasion but if it didn't exist nobody would really bother.

Now, just imagine if St Mirren fans were to flood the St Johnstone thread with spam images. Can you imagine the tears? Luckily us St Mirren fans are far more mature and take it all in our stride.

15 hours ago, Hendo said:

They should do some promotion to see who gets in, like a Willie Wonka style golden ticket, hidden within items purchased from the club shop.

That's fucking wild, IMO. 

"Thanks for buying season tickets when you can't get into games. Now, if you do want in, go buy stuff from the shop and maybe, just maybe, you might get in". 

Hopefully yesterday was a wake up call.

If Goody has no faith in Baird then there is no point on holding on to the lad - let him go elsewhere.

Our squad is getting larger so if players are not doing it they should be on the bench and let someone else have a go.

We have several wingers and playmakers now but need two in midfield who can battle ie Foley, McPherson or Sheron. One in there is not enough.

And we need a decent young loan player (has Norwich or Hull any?) who can play full back or centre half to provide cover.

It is good to have a squad able to play different formations but with a new squad please stick to one formation until the players all know their responsibilities and each others' game.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

If Goody has no faith in Baird then there is no point on holding on to the lad - let him go elsewhere.

Our squad is getting larger so if players are not doing it they should be on the bench and let someone else have a go.

We have several wingers and playmakers now but need two in midfield who can battle ie Foley, McPherson or Sheron. One in there is not enough.

And we need a decent young loan player (has Norwich or Hull any?) who can play full back or centre half to provide cover.

It is good to have a squad able to play different formations but with a new squad please stick to one formation until the players all know their responsibilities and each others' game.

I think the default has to be a 4-4-1-1, with the potential to go 4-4-2 if we need. 

3-5-2 is a fucking train wreck and I'm stunned it was attempted. 4-4-2 as a starting line up doesn't enable us to compete in the middle, removes a link between midfield and forwards, and it places too much defensive responsibility on the wingers. Playing with McGrath or McAllister behind Obika, with two proper wide men, and two solid midfielders, is such a no-brainer now.

If we're chasing and need to go direct, then fine, bring on an extra striker.

I'm currently fearing a horsing from Hibs, tbh.

I prefer McAllister playing inside rather than on the wing for the simple reason he takes the ball forward however he always wants to take on everyone and doesn't pass to teammates in better positions. But his biggest problems are build and fitness. Wouldn't be a starter for me.
I'd much prefer McGrath playing either off a striker or the point in a diamond.
But forget about this 3-5-2 stuff unless it's in lower league cup games or againt 10 men.

Baird will be away. Championship clubs will be aware he is available but will be signing players as late as possible to save on wages.

Theres no way we are keeping him just to torture him on the bench.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

Any word on Fraser's injury, or how long Shaughnessy's ban is for? Will both of them be back for the Hibs game?

Shaughnessy is a one game ban I believe so should be back for the Hibs game . Fraser not sure. We really need a big improvement in performance against Hibs. At least there is plenty time on the training ground to sort things out. 

6 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Shaughnessy is a one game ban I believe so should be back for the Hibs game . Fraser not sure. We really need a big improvement in performance against Hibs. At least there is plenty time on the training ground to sort things out. 

I think most thought we were "on the right track", as it were, until Saturday. Sure we could have done with a more sticky midfield but it didn't feel like major surgery was needed.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think most thought we were "on the right track", as it were, until Saturday. Sure we could have done with a more sticky midfield but it didn't feel like major surgery was needed.

I watched the whole game on Sunday Rick . We can posses the ball fine but going forward we looked devoid of any ideas in that game. Mcalister out wide is not working he should be brought in more central.  Was it just me McAllister displeased at being subbed  ?  Reading "not the old firm " goodwin saying he is talking to three players in Southern Ireland. Rough diamonds was Goodwin's description.