The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'm always surprised that there seems to be very little criticism aimed at the St Mirren board(s) for the absolute shambles that has been their recruitment strategy for both players and managers over the last five years or so, starting with Tommy Craig. They've basically got it wrong over and over again with their managerial appointments, apart from once with Ross, and have consistently overseen a massive turnover of players, seemingly without any quality control. 37 players used already this season, and that's before the several others that seem to be coming in over the next few days (or already have in the case of the Croatian left-back).

Just now, craigkillie said:

I'm always surprised that there seems to be very little criticism aimed at the St Mirren board(s) for the absolute shambles that has been their recruitment strategy for both players and managers over the last five years or so, starting with Tommy Craig. They've basically got it wrong over and over again with their managerial appointments, apart from once with Ross, and have consistently overseen a massive turnover of players, seemingly without any quality control. 37 players used already this season, and that's before the several others that seem to be coming in over the next few days (or already have in the case of the Croatian left-back).

There was criticism of the old Board who appointed Tommy Craig et al however they were bought out 3 years ago. The new board got rid of Alex Rae immediately and brought in Jack Ross - great decision. They made a monumental mistake in Stubbs and his mental recruitment which Kearney now has to deal with. The new board have already stated that they will keep Kearney if we go down as we need stability and a proper signing policy (hence Gus MacPherson as Director of Football overseeing signings) so that folk like Stubbs don't get away with signing shite again. I cannot speak for all supporters but the 20 or so that I regularly hang out with all support the new Board and will give Kearney time. The current turnover is a necessity.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm always surprised that there seems to be very little criticism aimed at the St Mirren board(s) for the absolute shambles that has been their recruitment strategy for both players and managers over the last five years or so, starting with Tommy Craig.

The issue is it is over 2 boards. The previous board took a lot of critiscm over Craig. Murray was ok on paper but don't work and Rae steadied things but built a terrible side. 

The current board replaced Rae with  Ross, took us up. They then made a terrible mistake with Stubbs that we are paying for. Since then they have put in a new structure to prevent that. 

Not sure how much criticism we can put onto them- the signs are that things are improving but we are coming from a terrible base. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I think Popescu, Lyons and McAllister are very good additions. Keeper too - despite having lost 9 goals in his three games!

Surely the Danish boy, if he was sold for £2m 6 months ago will have suffered today for just having met his teammates and will surely come on to a game. 

Need at least one of the new signings to be a decent striker as I think we suffered today from having very limited options to change things in that area. 

The Danish boy might have got on a bit better today had we occasionally given him the ball! We seemed reluctant to do it and there was at least one time when it was crying out for a through pass to be played for him to run onto and we didn't.

Kearney on the radio afterwards saying he is aiming for one or two more (as opposed to two or three before the game). When pushed he said a striker and, weirdly, another wide player.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

The Danish boy might have got on a bit better today had we occasionally given him the ball! We seemed reluctant to do it and there was at least one time when it was crying out for a through pass to be played for him to run onto and we didn't.

Kearney on the radio afterwards saying he is aiming for one or two more (as opposed to two or three before the game). When pushed he said a striker and, weirdly, another wide player.

There was one point in the first half when Jackson had the ball 40 yards out and we were 3 on 3. Andreas was making a great run down the right and would have been in on goal; instead Jackson turns the other way and the chance is lost.

They didn't show it in the Sportscene highlights, but before the great chance McAlister had, so still at 1-0 Saints, Jackson also passed in the wrong direction instead of playing Lyons (I think) for an easy finish.

All of this will hopefully get better when the new guys have played more with each other.

There's reason for hope - especially if one of those two is a good striker.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

There was one point in the first half when Jackson had the ball 40 yards out and we were 3 on 3. Andreas was making a great run down the right and would have been in on goal; instead Jackson turns the other way and the chance is lost.

They didn't show it in the Sportscene highlights, but before the great chance McAlister had, so still at 1-0 Saints, Jackson also passed in the wrong direction instead of playing Lyons (I think) for an easy finish.

All of this will hopefully get better when the new guys have played more with each other.

Agreed, i think it will get better when they have played a few games together. First opportunity I'd invest in some team bonding initiatives, important given the number of new faces.

Today was sore, but hopefully they'll all learn from it, including OK who should have got one of the midfield to sit in front of the defence when the game became stretched, and possibly brought off one of the wingers for Ferdinand to make us more difficult to break down.

Some of the social media meltdowns have been a bit over the top.

Yes, we threw that away today but folk screeching about OK now having his own players and not turning it around yet are being a bit too judgemental.

We don't actually expect guys to be gelling straight away and despite the misgivings today, we were the better side for an hour of the match, having looked a lot more likely of carving out decent opposites than we have been doing.

Had we been steamrollered from minute one today, I'd have been genuinely worried but there's enough there to suggest the all is not lost, even if we are still favourites to finish bottom at present.

Yes, we threw that away today but folk screeching about OK now having his own players and not turning it around yet are being a bit too judgemental.
We don't actually expect guys to be gelling straight away and despite the misgivings today, we were the better side for an hour of the match, having looked a lot more likely of carving out decent opposites than we have been doing.
Had we been steamrollered from minute one today, I'd have been genuinely worried but there's enough there to suggest the all is not lost, even if we are still favourites to finish bottom at present.
And the lesson is... keep off 'social media' pish.

Paul McGinn was the same, he played the ball inside when Anders was wide open on the wing on a few occasions. Hopefully something we can fix in training.

6 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

And the lesson is... keep off 'social media' pish.

Bit hard Jimmy, I'm running BAWA twitter feed for Div while he in Vegas. :lol:

Quite a few positives to take out of the match. Obviously disappointed we lost but Hibs showed up in the 2nd half and they ultimately have better players than us.

Even at 1-1 their keeper made 2 brilliant saves.

Worryingly we got tired but a lot of these guys haven't been playing regular football and Stephen McGinn looks like he is being held together with sticky tape.

Kearney is getting far too easy a ride IMO. He has literally done nothing so far that suggests he is going to turn it around. 

He is an absolute slaver at times as well, I still can't get my head around his comments about his players after the game against us.

28 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Kearney is getting far too easy a ride IMO. He has literally done nothing so far that suggests he is going to turn it around. 

He is an absolute slaver at times as well, I still can't get my head around his comments about his players after the game against us.

I don't think anyone apart from the lunatic fringe want him sacked at the moment.

What is happening now is people are starting to question some of his tactics and changes within the game, which personally I think is fair enough.

The last thing we need is another managerial change. 

did the board not say he would be in charge next season even if they went down? bold statement. they could potentially lose every game between now and the end of the season.

i think he will be judged on performances from yesterday until the end of the season now hes made his signings. hopefully its a disaster but not as big a disaster as hamilton!