The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

It's a cross border transfer. The same will be applicable for the SFA.  http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/player-registration/international-clearance

In accordance with FIFA Regulations, international clearance is required for any player over the age of 10 who is seeking to register for a club in England and has previously been registered for a club abroad (including the other Home Associations), or who is a foreign national seeking to register for the first time in this country.

St Mirren being a big club helped him decide to come here.... clearly, Sir Fitzy of ‘Tache has been giving our signings some ‘top 4 club’ patter... gotta’ love the ‘tache.

The link to the story a few posts back, surely even those who didn’t like the kit much in the launch photos think that it looks better when a player is actually wearing it?

Maybes aye maybes naw.

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I wonder if Anthony Stokes will be traveling with  squad to La Manga. 

I hear that the Elvis tribute act that was lined up for entertainment on the first evening has been cancelled.

Make of that what you will.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I wonder if Anthony Stokes will be traveling with  squad to La Manga. 

When do you guys fly out to La Manga? 

Killie fly out there on Monday for a weeks training.

7 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

When do you guys fly out to La Manga? 

Killie fly out there on Monday for a weeks training.

Monday I believe.

The Buddies squad will travel to La Manga for a training camp on 25th June to 3rd July.

Edited by FTOF

I would definitely sign Stokes despite the obvious baggage that he would bring. He’s apparently impressing while training with us. Stubbs can maybe get him to screw the nut as it’s getting close to the last chance saloon for him in terms of clubs willing to take a chance on him.

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I would definitely sign Stokes despite the obvious baggage that he would bring. He’s apparently impressing while training with us. Stubbs can maybe get him to screw the nut as it’s getting close to the last chance saloon for him in terms of clubs willing to take a chance on him.

If we sign him it's a risk.

Maybe Stubbs can get him to screw the nut.

He's a far better player than Reilly and would be a definite upgrade.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

He’s 29 if I’m not mistaken and still has much to offer if he can keep away from the off field activities that have seen him in bother. It’s a no brainier for me if we have the chance to get him then in footballing terms it would be a big signing for us.

58 minutes ago, FTOF said:

It's a risk if we sign him but maybe he will screw the nut under Stubbs.

Anyone else?

Edited by CamaroSaint

There's not a lot to argue about in terms of ability. His goalscoring record isn't in doubt. 

Ill admit, I'm coming round to it a lot more recently. There's no one we could realistically get who has the ability. 

Stubbs also seems to be one of the few managers who has managed to keep him in check in the last few years. Think Stubbs and the wake up call that if he fucks up again, it's likely all over for him might be what he needs. 

On 21/06/2018 at 21:48, bennett said:

Not very good news for you mate, best keep your head down for a while...

We've clearly been working hard this week to get as many players/management on the plane to La Manga as possible, and rightly so.

The boy King is an interesting one, stayed with Bolton for ages despite them having an embargo that meant he couldn't play for them, he then resigned and again Bolton couldn't bring him into the first team, then when all the embargo was lifted he was released.

Tell you what though, whoever wrote his Wikipedia page is clearly a fan.

So.. the Stokes thing. Looking through other (single club) fan forums there have been quite a few threads posted suggesting he could be singing them; From Dundee to Dunfermline to Morton and a few in between. It's a fairly common theme though that people think he is not worth the gamble due to his personal antics. I don't think anyone can deny he is a decent footballer albeit definitely on a considerable downward spiral.

Last 3 clubs?

Blackburn - papped out after playing 12 games.

Hibs - Papped out after 6 months.

Apollon Smyrni - papped out after just 3 months managing just 4 games and going AWOL.

I understand why people are desperate to see the club do well. This player is not the answer, and that's before we even touch on his questionable off the pitch activities.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

So.. the Stokes thing. Looking through other (single club) fan forums there have been quite a few threads posted suggesting he could be singing them; From Dundee to Dunfermline to Morton and a few in between. It's a fairly common theme though that people think he is not worth the gamble due to his personal antics. I don't think anyone can deny he is a decent footballer albeit definitely on a considerable downward spiral.

Last 3 clubs?

Blackburn - papped out after playing 12 games.

Hibs - Papped out after 6 months.

Apollon Smyrni - papped out after just 3 months managing just 4 games and going AWOL.

I understand why people are desperate to see the club do well. This player is not the answer, and that's before we even touch on his questionable off the pitch activities.

He is worth a punt especially having worked with Stubbs before with no real problems. His goal scoring record speaks volumes not a player we could normally afford it's a no brainer. 

38 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

He is worth a punt especially having worked with Stubbs before with no real problems. His goal scoring record speaks volumes not a player we could normally afford it's a no brainer. 

14 games, that's all he played under Stubbs, it's hardly a huge legacy although to be fair to Stokes it seems that 6 months is pretty good for him not to get papped out from a team for causing some sort of rumpus. When you say his goal scoring record speaks volumes, I'm not sure you actually know what his goal scoring record is. With Celtic he averaged out at 10 goals a season. His record at Hibs is not any better and his record for Blackburn and Apollon is worse. In the last two seasons combined he's scored 8 goals.

I wish people would stop over playing this man's talents. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he such a good player that we should gamble on him, possibly ruining our reputation and destroying squad unity? No, quite clearly he is not.

I find this whole "no brainer" attitude really strange, it's like people refuse to see the obvious reasons why that is simply not the case. I do not believe that Stokes is the best the club can hope for, and if it is, then to be honest I'd rather be relegated by us not scoring enough goals than be relegated because of some guy who is incapable of screwing the nut fucks the team/club over.

Edited by Buddist Monk