The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We'll definitely ned to improve the home record next season, only 4 wins at home is the 2nd worst in the league.

In contrast, only the top 3 in the league won more points away from home.

A lot of our "problems" could be resolved by finding a striker who will fire in double figures. I seriously doubt Erwin will do that. Dennis (imo) will chip in but I'm not sure of him reaching double figures, Obika isn't likely to be here next season so... Brophy then, everything pretty much relies on him getting up to speed and scoring a bucket load. That said, over his career, he's only once managed to get into double figures for the league and even then... it was only 11.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

A lot of our "problems" could be resolved by finding a striker who will fire in double figures. I seriously doubt Erwin will do that. Dennis (imo) will chip in but I'm not sure of him reaching double figures, Obika isn't likely to be here next season so... Brophy then, everything pretty much relies on him getting up to speed and scoring a bucket load. That said, over his career, he's only once managed to get into double figures for the league and even then... it was only 11.

I do wonder if Jim might consider going Brophy+Dennis+Erwin+Jamieson next season. I think Erwin's getting better and while he'll never be a goal machine, I think those hoping he might get paid off are going to be disappointed.

If I was pushing the boat out for any position over the summer, it'd be for a big, complete experienced CM.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I do wonder if Jim might consider going Brophy+Dennis+Erwin+Jamieson next season. I think Erwin's getting better and while he'll never be a goal machine, I think those hoping he might get paid off are going to be disappointed.

If I was pushing the boat out for any position over the summer, it'd be for a big, complete experienced CM.

Holding midfielder. Goodwin went for Gogic, didn't get him, settled for Sheron on loan only to find out he was not up to the job, then he played JDH there and despite Doyle-Hayes saying he liked how Goodwin sets up the team I think most would play him more advanced. As sure as eggs are eggs Goodwin will target that position for next season.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

JG will have a bit of rebuilding to do in the summer, out of contract players will move on which is the norm these days, interesting to see what happens to some of our contracted players. Will Erwin, McAllister get shipped out? Can we keep a hold of Erhahon & McGrath? Don't want a summer of too much upheaval.

Another reason the lack of fans count - you can always tell who's played their last game from their post-match walkabout.

39 minutes ago, btb said:

Another reason the lack of fans count - you can always tell who's played their last game from their post-match walkabout.

In lieu of anything official, do we want to do our own "who's played their last game for us?"

In alphabetical order: Connolly, Durmus, Flynn, JDH, McGrath, Mason, Obika and Quaner.

Only one of those are currently under contract (obvs, Quaner and Mason are loans) so you can take a guess as to why I've added him in.

Edited by Ric

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

In lieu of anything official, do we want to do our own "who's played their last game for us?"

In alphabetical order: Connolly, Durmus, JDH, Flynn, McGrath, Mason, Obika and Quaner.

Only one of those are currently under contract (obvs, Quaner and Mason are loans) so you can take a guess as to why I've added him in.

£400k + 30% will do it for McGrath.

My actual wild prediction: Hibs will take him for 150k + Scott Allan + the sell-on.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

£400k + 30% will do it for McGrath.

My actual prediction: Hibs will take him for 150k + Scott Allan + the sell-on.

We've discussed this already. He is clearly a 2-3 million pound player. I really don't know why you under sell him so much.. ;)

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Obika the first to go. And the best song in football with it.

He never got going this season but will forever be a hero.

Mason's just said his goodbyes too. It was a neat reminder that he was still at the club.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Mason's just said his goodbyes too. It was a neat reminder that he was still at the club.

Honestly, so disappointed in his lack of impact. He started so well and the Rangers 3-2 game was his definite peak but the tackle at Livingston that by rights should have broken his ankle just fucked his season.

9 minutes ago, GAD said:

Obika will be missed. It's probably the right decision, but he was a good, and very popular, player for us. It's pretty clear he was a good guy off the pitch as well. 

The analogy to Obika is you are sitting on 17 at the blackjack table and are unsure if you should stick or twist. Seems like Goodwin has asked for another card.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

The analogy to Obika is you are sitting on 17 at the blackjack table and are unsure if you should stick or twist. Seems like Goodwin has asked for another card.

Not sure that's quite the case as we know that Brophy is going to be the main man for us next season and I think in today's performance, we saw that he's going to be a pain in the arse for opposition defences once we get him fully fit. He certainly showed more today than the much lauded Shankland up the other end did.

I reckon we'll still get another two forwards in. Erwin, who I have despaired with, I'm starting to turn towards over the last 7 or 8 weeks. He's not a goalscorer but he's showing a lot in his link up play and Dennis deserves his chance. We definitely still need strengthening in there though. Quaner was a terrible disappointment and Obika, at 30 and with a patchy fitness record this season just didn't get going.

I wouldn't be so shocked to see Jon staying north of the border at all.

8 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Believe we are interested in Devante Cole at Well.

Would be nice if the extra £100K we got for finishing above 'Well financed any possible move.

However, I reckon he's a stick on to stay with them.