The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I had assumed that give the complete lack of game time even during the horrendous February that we had that we had made a mistake with him and that there was no way we would take up our option. 

IIRC JG stated when Finlayson joined us, that the main aim was to get Finlayson "into the fold",  in preparation for his permanent move in the summer.

Would be great news re Fraser if we can get him signed up again. Also great to see the club acting early with contract renewals. I was surprised the Henderson statement went out without the inclusion of his weekly wage, I thought that was the done thing now. Perhaps it would’ve exceeded the character limit had they included the figures. Will be keeping an eye out for the further statements on contract renewal$.

10 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Would be great news re Fraser if we can get him signed up again. Also great to see the club acting early with contract renewals. I was surprised the Henderson statement went out without the inclusion of his weekly wage, I thought that was the done thing now. Perhaps it would’ve exceeded the character limit had they included the figures. Will be keeping an eye out for the further statements on contract renewal$.

Nah, the done thing is for Calum Davidson to bump his gums about what we pay our players, and for the tedious Fakes fans* on here to tell us what they earn.

* I realise "Tedious Fakes fans" is a tautology.

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Interestingly Goodwin tried to sign Lafferty last summer but could not compete with a club abroad for wages.  That was a interview for the kilt walk with Goodwin in the press. 

We should go back in for him. Quality player and will cause us grief on Monday

My arse is making buttons already.

There are 5 teams left who will all quite rightly now see it as anyone's tournament. This is definitely our best chance since 2006 when we bottled the quarter against Gretna so it's fair to say that opportunities like this don't present themselves everyday.

My arse is making buttons already.
There are 5 teams left who will all quite rightly now see it as anyone's tournament. This is definitely our best chance since 2006 when we bottled the quarter against Gretna so it's fair to say that opportunities like this don't present themselves everyday.
I am hoping the players use the pain of the Livi semi and top 6 failure as fuel for tonight.

Who ever wins the cup this season is guaranteed group stage European football.

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I am hoping the players use the pain of the Livi semi and top 6 failure as fuel for tonight.

Who ever wins the cup this season is guaranteed group stage European football.

Not correct mate the European place goes to 5th in the league not the cup. 

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

No it doesn't.

The cup winners get a Europa League spot. It would only have gone to 5th if Rangers or Celtic won the cup. Which would have meant 3rd got the Europa League place and 4th and 5th got Europa Conference League places.

He's also correct that the cup winners will be guaranteed group stage football. The winners go into the Europa League qualifiers, if they win, they go into the Europa League group stage and if they lost, they go into the Europa Conference group stage.

So the cup win for whoever gets it is going to be absolutely massive.

Edit - Actually if Hibs win the cup, it will also still go to 5th, I think as they'd be promoted from Conference League qualification to Europa league qualification.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

That's rubbish. There are 4 European slots allocated to league position, 1 to the Scottish Cup Winners. The only ways 5th place would qualify for Europe is if they won the cup or one of the top 4 won the cup.

Impossible game to call. While we have beaten both cheeks, Aberdeen and stuck 5 past Utd, our two poorest results of the season are easily those against Livi in the semi and Accies in the split decider. We can beat anyone and also lose to anyone so it's the archetypal 50/50 coin toss game. Hopefully Saints turn up for the full 90m as that has been absent a lot of games. To think either team is 3 wins from group stage European football is bonkers. Big pressure game.