The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's absolutely fantastic. I'm terrified of him. 

I know it's hard to tell when he's playing in a different league, but reckon he'd have a future with us? TBH, we don't have a brilliant record with reintegrating players that we loan out. It's typically a sign that they're not really in plans. But he does sound like the kind of squad player we could make use of, so will be interesting to see if he's got a chance with us.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I know it's hard to tell when he's playing in a different league, but reckon he'd have a future with us? TBH, we don't have a brilliant record with reintegrating players that we loan out. It's typically a sign that they're not really in plans. But he does sound like the kind of squad player we could make use of, so will be interesting to see if he's got a chance with us.

It's difficult to tell because we play Duffyball. He's certainly versatile enough to offer an option as a squad player, but it's difficult for us to tell how technically good he is when the ball is in the air for 90% of the match. He has done as well as he can playing in the team he is, he'd probably need to go to a decent Championship side before it becomes clear if he's good enough for you guys. 

Lewis Jamieson also doing well in League One. Definitely got something about him. Four goals so far. Another year at Clyde would probably be best for him, eh?

Josh Jack has been relatively poor but our players keep saying he’s a great player and recently, he has chipped in with a couple of goals. Hopefully, he carries on making a positive contribution to the end of the season. He does have a lovely touch but there have been several games that have passed him by. He is still very young, of course, and I feel that in another few years he’ll be a much better player than he is now. 

I see Jay Henderson started for you tonight. I know you have plenty of players out but even then, I was surprised at that. He was pretty poor for us - just looked as though he was a few years away from being at all ready for League One level. Sounds as though he played well today though and I’m pleased for him.

Well done tonight lads. You guys streets ahead of us and that wasn’t even close to a strongest team from what I gather. Was impressed by a number of players, especially thought young Henderson was exceptional for you tonight. Looks like a bright prospect. Marcus Fraser also looks to have come on to a real game at Saints which is good to see. Probably be a while before we play each other again so best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you go a few better in the cup this time.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I see Jay Henderson started for you tonight. I know you have plenty of players out but even then, I was surprised at that. He was pretty poor for us - just looked as though he was a few years away from being at all ready for League One level. Sounds as though he played well today though and I’m pleased for him.

53 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Well done tonight lads. You guys streets ahead of us and that wasn’t even close to a strongest team from what I gather. Was impressed by a number of players, especially thought young Henderson was exceptional for you tonight. Looks like a bright prospect. Marcus Fraser also looks to have come on to a real game at Saints which is good to see. Probably be a while before we play each other again so best of luck for the rest of the season and hopefully you go a few better in the cup this time.

Just goes to show, sometimes the experience of going out gives more to a player than the performances themselves. Young Jay looked like he'd been in there forever in what was his first start and was excellent, I felt.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's absolutely fantastic. I'm terrified of him. 

I'd always heard he was good enough but a we bit too rash. Think he got sent off twice in 8 games or something at Albion last season on loan.

Glad to hear he's developing though. It's quite encouraging that our first team already has Erhahon, Reid, MacPherson, Kyle McAllister and Henderson all there or thereabouts on matchdays with Nick McAllister, Jamieson and likely next season Kieran Offord also milling about squads. 6-8 youth academy players in the first team squad who are all worthy of that place would be some going.

If we can just get Mallan, Morgan, Kenny McLean and John McGinn back and we can play a 2-8-0 formation. :lol: 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd always heard he was good enough but a we bit too rash. Think he got sent off twice in 8 games or something at Albion last season on loan.

Glad to hear he's developing though. It's quite encouraging that our first team already has Erhahon, Reid, MacPherson, Kyle McAllister and Henderson all there or thereabouts on matchdays with Nick McAllister, Jamieson and likely next season Kieran Offord also milling about squads. 6-8 youth academy players in the first team squad who are all worthy of that place would be some going.

If we can just get Mallan, Morgan, Kenny McLean and John McGinn back and we can play a 2-8-0 formation. :lol: 

He's definitely one of these guys who plays on the edge, but I think working with Duffy - for all his failings this season - has helped him massively on the discipline side of things. He looks like he's going to get sent off all the time with the way he charges around, but he's only been booked twice in nine games. 

Can he make it in Paisley? Meh, I don't know yet. But based on what I've seen I reckon he could play in the Championship no bother at all. He's sharp on the ball, excellent in the tackle and - especially for quite a small guy - incredible in the air. He's very, very quick too. Physically all the attributes you're wanting are there, although I reckon he'd be at his best as a right-back rather than a centre-half or centre-mid.

Great result last night. I thought we played much better with the back 4. I think sometimes Jim gets a wee fixated on a system at times instead of going with what suits the players we have. Last night we just didn't have the players in the park for a 3-5-2. The first goal we scored was just everything that's good about having Richard Tait in the team, yet we didn't have that in the first half because he was playing in midfeild trying to fit this formation.

Was starting to get a bit worried at half-time last night, purely because I'd just assumed the post split fixtures meant there was no mathematical way we could end up at 10th and hadn't realised there was still an outside chance we could go down.

Thankfully the second half put that right and my knickers are no longer wet :)

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

Was starting to get a bit worried at half-time last night, purely because I'd just assumed the post split fixtures meant there was no mathematical way we could end up at 10th and hadn't realised there was still an outside chance we could go down.

Thankfully the second half put that right and my knickers are no longer wet :)

*11th, but yeah. 12th was ruled out a game or so ago; there was still an outside chance of a freak 11th place, but we can officially relax now*. 

* We can't relax, obviously: this is St Mirren. Chances are teams will start circling for Jim now or something equally shite like that.

48 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

*11th, but yeah. 12th was ruled out a game or so ago; there was still an outside chance of a freak 11th place, but we can officially relax now*. 

* We can't relax, obviously: this is St Mirren. Chances are teams will start circling for Jim now or something equally shite like that.

12th was ruled out at the time of the split. The teams playing each other meant that it wasn't possible that all teams could jump us. 

I'm hopeful given last night that Jim will extend Durmas's deal. He's a really solid player. 

Edited by flyingscot

12th was ruled out at the time of the split. The teams playing each other meant that it wasn't possible that all teams could jump us. 
I'm hopeful given last night that Jim will extend Durmas's deal. He's a really solid player. 
Hes a solid player but way more effective in the final third. He needs to play further forward and not worry as much with his defensive duties, he's not a wing back.

We are a much better team with 4 at the back, although Fraser is a world beater in the right side of a 3.

Delighted with the result and performance, just shows what this team can do. Although County are a sorry state.

Daniel Finlayson our first pre-contract signing then? Mentioned by JG in his post-match interview. 
Good to see is starting early for next year. Still no clue about him though. Last night's 10 second cameo was the first time I've seen him.

7 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Daniel Finlayson our first pre-contract signing then? Mentioned by JG in his post-match interview. 

Was that announced when you loaned him?

3 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Was what announced? Option to buy?

I'm sure it was announced he would join permanently this Summer back when he joined on loan at the start of this season.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure it was announced he would join permanently this Summer back when he joined on loan at the start of this season.

Our website announced it as option to buy, the Rangers one said at the time it would become permanent in the summer.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fee agreed but was still just an option to buy. Must have impressed in training because, in 6 months, he's only had 3 minutes on the park!