The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

If we intend to further progress next season then Erwin has to be offloaded. It would make no sense to let Obika leave and keep Erwin, I am aware that he’s under contract but I don’t imagine it will difficult to agree some kind of pay off.

Goodwin kept playing him over Obika towards the end. Either he's trying to make his mind up on him or he's playing cause he's here to stay. 

17 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Goodwin kept playing him over Obika towards the end. Either he's trying to make his mind up on him or he's playing cause he's here to stay. 

I don't actually think Erwin has been as bad as folk say either, especially last couple of months. I thought we were much better yesterday with the Erwin/Brophy partnership than we were when Obika/Dennis came on. I think Goodwin likes Erwin.

12 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't actually think Erwin has been as bad as folk say either, especially last couple of months. I thought we were much better yesterday with the Erwin/Brophy partnership than we were when Obika/Dennis came on. I think Goodwin likes Erwin.

I still love Dennis, but he's got a real tendency to do a lot of work in the channels, which means he's not where he should be when balls come in. This might due to be frustration on his part, but I'd rather see him be a little more lazy.

33 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Jon hasn’t been 100% fit of late. I’d like to think that’s why he’s given Erwin a starting slot. I can’t fathom what Erwin brings other than than a presence of sorts.

If he does keep him then I hope it’s as an emergency back up in case of injury and suspension.

I’m sure Erwin will be here next year, and he will be fourth or fifth choice striker. Dennis and Brophy will be the main two, we will be signing one more and I expect Lewis Jamieson to break into the first team after a successful loan with Clyde.
What can a club like us expect from a striker who is going to spend most of their time on the bench? Erwin’s fine for that role. He’s not great but he can put in a shift if needed and is a decent squad player, would make no sense to pay him off.

14 hours ago, Lex said:

I’d have offered Obika another year personally, but he’s had fitness issues the last couple of months. Even when he’s played he’s clearly not been 100%.
On his game he was superb and scored several good and important goals. My favourite performance of his was the cup game at Fir Park where he ran amok in the first half. Think he scored two and set up one as we went four one up. Scored the winning penalty in the shoot out too.
Simply put I hope he goes back to England, because I don’t want our defence facing him next year.
Guess JDH, Connolly, Quaner, Flynn and Durmus will join him and Mason at the exit door. Durmus the one out of that bunch I’m most sorry to see go, but I believe he made his intention to see out his contract and leave early on, which is fair enough.
Would be great to get some early business done this year. Centre midfield, forwards and wingers the priority areas.

A few weeks back Durmus said he wanted to stay at the club. 

45 minutes ago, GAD said:

I agree - I think Erwin is much in the mould of Billy Mehmet. He has a decent touch and link up play and is by no means a bad player.

I think it is probably the right time for Obika to move on, he has been a good player for us over the past couple years. He looks as if he can be a nightmare to play against when he is on his game. Goodwin has improved our attacking options greatly since he took over, comparing the options he had when he took over, & the season prior, to what we have now is night and day. I think we are well placed with Goodwin in charge to add another decent striker to Dennis, Erwin & Brophy along with any youngsters. 

If i was Jim I’d be offering Kyle Lafferty a one year deal today.
Killie won’t be in a position to offer him anything till they know what league they will be in.
I expect he will get offers from at least one of Aberdeen, Hearts or Dundee United and if Killie stay up there’s a decent chance he will stay there.
But, might aswell ask the question. Early bird and all that.

38 minutes ago, Lex said:

Killie won’t be in a position to offer him anything till they know what league they will be in.
I expect he will get offers from at least one of Aberdeen, Hearts or Dundee United and if Killie stay up there’s a decent chance he will stay there.

I'm sure they were recently discussing Lafferty's willingness to stay at Killie, regardless of division, on Radio Scotland. That may well come down to finances but I think Killie will be fine and Lafferty will stay with them next season. 

I saw Aberdeen's release list and if Goodwin was looking to add to the ROI representation then I would take Hoban from Aberdeen to strengthen our centre half options. 

4 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I'm sure they were recently discussing Lafferty's willingness to stay at Killie, regardless of division, on Radio Scotland. That may well come down to finances but I think Killie will be fine and Lafferty will stay with them next season. 

I saw Aberdeen's release list and if Goodwin was looking to add to the ROI representation then I would take Hoban from Aberdeen to strengthen our centre half options. 

Agreed on this. He's also versatile in that he can play right along the back line.

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Lovely stuff. This is going to be precisely the kind of content I'm craving for the next couple of months.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Tommy  Wright said he is staying even if Killie are relegated.  Latterly confirmed this also. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

30 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Tommy  Wright said he is staying even if Killie are relegated.  Latterly confirmed this also. 

I'm assuming that's autocorrect in action, but, wonderfully, still makes complete sense.

'He's said it once, and has since confirmed it...'

15 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Heard we were being linked with Obika? Sounds like a player who might fit our style pretty well

Doubt you'll find anyone with a bad word to say about him here. I would be gutted if he signed for you to be honest as I wouldn't like to see him play against us, but I think he'd do a job.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Doubt you'll find anyone with a bad word to say about him here. I would be gutted if he signed for you to be honest as I wouldn't like to see him play against us, but I think he'd do a job.

Is he any good at holding the ball up/good in the air? Or is he more of an out and out goalscorer. 

As it stands he'd probably start up top with Jack Hamilton who's scored about 18 in 30. So ideally someone to play him in or lay it off

Edited by ATLIS

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Is he any good at holding the ball up/good in the air? Or is he more of an out and out goalscorer. 

As it stands he'd probably start up top with Jack Hamilton who's scored about 18 in 30. So ideally someone to play him in or lay it off

Obika fits the bill then.

He tends to do that very well.

Just didn't score enough.

I would be gutted if he signed for another team in the league.:(

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Obika fits the bill then.

He tends to do that very well.

Just didn't score enough.

I would be gutted if he signed for another team in the league.:(

Sounds perfect for us then, we don't tend to rely on strikers to score a lot. Most of our goals are spread throughout the team so would seem he's a perfect fit. Here's hoping, he sounds like a lovely guy as well