The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Could see him at Accies. The experienced striker role that Scotland played last time they were promoted.

I think he'd be a great fit for the Accies, Rice does love a powerful front man (madam), but "too good" for the Championship?

I would have thought he could get a gig in the Premiership. Look at any team from 5th down and I reckon he's add to their squad. Not that I'm suggesting he'd be a stand out in any other squad just that he'd be a useful addition.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Obika was decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gave us all he had, which the fans always appreciated, but he can be replaced.

Well yeah but then the olde  MacPherson Principle "Is the replacement better?" comes into play - we'll just have to wait and see...

I’d have offered Obika another year personally, but he’s had fitness issues the last couple of months. Even when he’s played he’s clearly not been 100%.
On his game he was superb and scored several good and important goals. My favourite performance of his was the cup game at Fir Park where he ran amok in the first half. Think he scored two and set up one as we went four one up. Scored the winning penalty in the shoot out too.
Simply put I hope he goes back to England, because I don’t want our defence facing him next year.
Guess JDH, Connolly, Quaner, Flynn and Durmus will join him and Mason at the exit door. Durmus the one out of that bunch I’m most sorry to see go, but I believe he made his intention to see out his contract and leave early on, which is fair enough.
Would be great to get some early business done this year. Centre midfield, forwards and wingers the priority areas.

39 minutes ago, btb said:

Well yeah but then the olde  MacPherson Principle "Is the replacement better?" comes into play - we'll just have to wait and see...

I'm going to throw this one out there...

There is no doubting Goodwin has done a decent enough job here, better than expected in places, lessons not learned in others. Overall a positive season, of course.

However, given the squad we had at our disposal, I'd say MacPherson could have achieved the same result.

Edited by Ric

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

I’d have offered Obika another year personally...

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if there was a change of mind, whether that is Goodwin or Obika I don't know.

However, as sn1f points out..

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'm hoping for roughly 10 league goals each for Brophy and Dennis next season, if they can keep their fitness.

The numbers just didn't happen for our strikers this season, which cost us.

..we need to be upping our scoring and I just don't know if he's really the answer. Would Obika sit around on the bench, used sparingly? He did it this season but there were obvious reasons for that.

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

Would be great to get some early business done this year.

Goodwin seems to be someone that does his stuff early in the window so let's hope that remains to be the case. If we can keep hold of McGrath, then that's a major boost.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm going to throw this one out here...

There is no doubting Goodwin has done a decent enough job here, better than expected in places, lessoned not learned in others. Overall a positive season, of course.

However, given the squad we had at our disposal, I'd say MacPherson could have achieved the same result.

Possibly, but MacPherson wouldn’t have recruited young players, perhaps a team of Erwin type players.  

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Would be great to get some early business done this year. Centre midfield, forwards and wingers the priority areas.

Goodwin has already been on record as saying he wants the majority of his squad in place by time pre-season training starts back, so I think some early business is going to be a given.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin has already been on record as saying he wants the majority of his squad in place by time pre-season training starts back, so I think some early business is going to be a given.

Our biggest problem this summer is going to be the unending threat that McGrath could go. Potential buyers possibly holding on to see if we'll weaken and let him go for less, all the while we can't replace him on the off-chance he stays.

The uncertainty will be horrendous to live with, but I don't think there's any getting around it, short of him signing an extension.

There's a good chance of an RoI call-up for their summer training camp, too, which will raise his profile further still. If he is to move on, then a big, early bidding war would definitely be best all round.

Obika is a top bloke and for that and the important goals I'll be sad to see him go.

His link up play throughout this season has been good but as the season has went on, I've felt like his confidence in front of goal has deteriorated to the point where it felt like he wasn't even getting into goalscoring positions anymore.

34 league games and 5 goals for a team that's finished 7th just isn't good enough I'm afraid. I think even if he was kept, he'd be 4th choice behind Brophy, Dennis and Erwin (who clearly seems to be preferred by Goodwin) - maybe even 5th choice if we sign another striker.

I wish him all the best and I think he's been a great player for us over the past couple of seasons but it's the right decision to let him go. I think we can and should try to bring in someone who will score more - especially if we're serious about finishing higher up the league.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Our biggest problem this summer is going to be the unending threat that McGrath could go. Potential buyers possibly holding on to see if we'll weaken and let him go for less, all the while we can't replace him on the off-chance he stays.

The uncertainty will be horrendous to live with, but I don't think there's any getting around it, short of him signing an extension.

There's a good chance of an RoI call-up for their summer training camp, too, which will raise his profile further still. If he is to move on, then a big, early bidding war would definitely be best all round.

Hopefully Jim can identify a replacement for McGrath. Scott Allen would be a decent gamble if available or else Mallen 

I see Sean McLoughlin hasn't really been playing at all for Hull. Don't know if that's been injury or not, but if Jim is absolutely determined to play the back three I wonder if he'd be a good signing next season? He was pretty solid, left footed as well. Could fit in well on the left side of the back three, Tait and Fraser as the wingbacks? 

If we intend to further progress next season then Erwin has to be offloaded. It would make no sense to let Obika leave and keep Erwin, I am aware that he’s under contract but I don’t imagine it will difficult to agree some kind of pay off.