The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Feel free to add any others - I need a pick-me-up!

6. Collum won’t get a Christmas card from Jim Goodwin.

He has cost is so many times this season. Big Joe sending off as 4th official against Ross County, Porteous blatant handball at home no penalty, and yesterday’s failure to award a penalty for the handball and the foul on KD after the ball had gone.

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

6. Collum won’t get a Christmas card from Jim Goodwin.

He has cost is so many times this season. Big Joe sending off as 4th official against Ross County, Porteous blatant handball at home no penalty, and yesterday’s failure to award a penalty for the handball and the foul on KD after the ball had gone.

Willie Collum doesn't even get a card from his mum.

Edit: also, wasn't until yesterday that I had seen the shape of Quaner's head. HIs forehead is really weird. It's honestly no wonder he missed that header. Genuine 50p heid. You need to see it in profile to understand the true oddness of it.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I really hope we get Durmus tied up to a new deal. That would be massive for us.

As for those heading out, if JDH, Erwin, Quaner, Connolly all go then I can't say I'd be that arsed. Obika? If he stays then good, if he goes then meh.

Dennis playing up top alongside the likes of a Chris Kane type player would be much more palatable than pish like Erwin and Quaner.

Not sure I get the criticism of Erhahon. The boy has just turned 20 and has been one of our top 4/5 players all season long.

Also, get McAllister out too. He's a Championship player at best.

I don't know why Erhahon gets so much abuse from our fans. He's just turned 20, and has established himself as one of the best players at the club. He's a better player than Mallan or Magennis were at his age, why are people so desperate to get rid of him? We need someone better to come into midfeild and complement him, not replace him.

I think Flynn, Obika, Connelly, Quaner, JDH will go. Would keep Durmus if possible. If somebody wanted to take Erwin, McAllister and MacPherson off our hands I doubt we'd be hard to deal with, but not too bothered if they stay. I don't think we will sell McGrath either.

Leaves a few big gaps for next season anyway. I think in midfield is the main missing part. We just need somebody a bit better, a bit more dominant, creative and experienced like S. McGinn was in the championship. JDH just wasn't that guy in the end, though I still think he'll have a good career.

I'm not so doom and gloom this morning, I think there were many positives to come from yesterday and the season as a whole. It was a lot better than the overly-cautious Livingston game. Durmus - we need to get signed up, he shouldn't really have been left to this late while we have been dishing out contracts to others. Although, he may well already have an offer for all we know.

Erhahon is a fine young player - absolutely not one who should be getting dug out for criticism. He has shown his ability over this season in his natural position & it says a lot about him to come back from the loan move which might have promised more and perform as well as coming back from Oran Kearney trying to ruin his career before it even started. 

Connolly's effort, or lack of, first the first goal having just come on should see him chased out the door as soon as his contract is up, we can do better. He has pace and little else. 

I think the best thing we did this season was sell to Magennis, it's allowed McGrath and Erhahon to show how good they could be. 

I was pretty critical of Ethan yesterday, admittedly, and happy to admit if I was being unfair. My issue is you can very quickly tell what sort of a game he's going to have, and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights from the off yesterday. He did get better as yesterday went on, but he needs to spend less time gobbing off at referees and focus on what he does well. 

Perhaps, yes, we just need an older head alongside him to guide him through games. Like Shaughnessy does with McCarthy.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I really hope we get Durmus tied up to a new deal. That would be massive for us.

As for those heading out, if JDH, Erwin, Quaner, Connolly all go then I can't say I'd be that arsed. Obika? If he stays then good, if he goes then meh.

Dennis playing up top alongside the likes of a Chris Kane type player would be much more palatable than pish like Erwin and Quaner.

Not sure I get the criticism of Erhahon. The boy has just turned 20 and has been one of our top 4/5 players all season long.

Also, get McAllister out too. He's a Championship player at best.

Zero chance of Durmus staying, he is offski.

5 minutes ago, McG said:

Zero chance of Durmus staying, he is offski.

Assuming he's getting a decent move, I'd like to think his agent might have another player or two up his sleeve that he could send our way. You'd have to say Durmus' spell at Saints has been excellent for both parties so the precedent has been set.

We need a Goodwin type of player in the middle of the park. Teams play straight through us. Not too fussed who goes but the recruitment has to be of a higher standard. Would try get Middleton on loan and offer Lafferty a deal. 

We need a Goodwin type of player in the middle of the park. Teams play straight through us. Not too fussed who goes but the recruitment has to be of a higher standard. Would try get Middleton on loan and offer Lafferty a deal. 

I think Jim’s best attribute is his recruitment to be fair, so hoping we should be ok on that front.

He just needs to be clear what we are trying to achieve on the park in terms of style
and system! For all his good recruitment he still doesn’t seem to know his strongest team or system, either that or or he isn’t getting his message across clearly enough to the players - although I don’t think this is the case because another of his strong attributes seems to be man management and a good communicator / articulate guy

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was pretty critical of Ethan yesterday, admittedly, and happy to admit if I was being unfair. My issue is you can very quickly tell what sort of a game he's going to have, and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights from the off yesterday. He did get better as yesterday went on, but he needs to spend less time gobbing off at referees and focus on what he does well. 

Perhaps, yes, we just need an older head alongside him to guide him through games. Like Shaughnessy does with McCarthy.

It's fair to level criticism at him for individual games but not to dismiss as a dud having played well more often than not this season. I thought he started very slowly yesterday as well but thought he was decent second half. He does have traits that can get him in trouble like arguing with refs or tendency to try win free kicks and not always being successful. There is definitely a very good midfielder in there and I can only imagine he is well placed to learn in that position under Goodwin. I think he is destined for a move down south eventually. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

I’ve slated Erwin in most games, possession breaks down with him constantly but there have been glimmers of a decent player, and I actually thought he played fairly well yesterday. He’s contracted for another season if someone else doesn’t come in for him then we might just have no other choice but to get behind him and hope he comes good. 

8 hours ago, Bgsaint said:

I’ve slated Erwin in most games, possession breaks down with him constantly but there have been glimmers of a decent player, and I actually thought he played fairly well yesterday. He’s contracted for another season if someone else doesn’t come in for him then we might just have no other choice but to get behind him and hope he comes good. 

Broadly agree with you. I think he needs a bit of guidance, similar to when McDonald helped at Motherwell. Too much bouncing around clubs.

Only Dennis seems to have movement about him and willing to make runs off of defenders, just like the chance he fluffed before being subbed. Our attackers tend to drift wide rather than attack the space and the opposition defence.

35 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Broadly agree with you. I think he needs a bit of guidance, similar to when McDonald helped at Motherwell. Too much bouncing around clubs.

Only Dennis seems to have movement about him and willing to make runs off of defenders, just like the chance he fluffed before being subbed. Our attackers tend to drift wide rather than attack the space and the opposition defence.

Yeah, the sight of Dennis putting in a glorious volleyed first-time cross that we really needed him to be on the end of sums up that situation.

TBF, positionally Dennis is usually streets ahead for getting in the right places and, also TBF, Erwin was actually in the right place for that one.

8 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Surely big Thommo could spare a few hours a week?

Chris Sutton was quite critical of our strikers' positioning, particularly relative to each other, at half time on Sunday. He'd be more expensive than Thommo and might not want to get his hands dirty, but I think he'd be a great shout, especially if we're going to persist with two up front. Can't be many strikers out there, with links to Scottish football, who would know more about partnership play, having been involved in two of the best striking partnerships we've seen on either side of the border.

He said before the game he 'would quite like to see St Mirren go through', too.