The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

38 minutes ago, Munoz said:

It's funny,  our defeat today has attracted some crackers - Morton , Thistle,  Hearts and now Killie fans gloating.  I'm not sure I'd want to swap our season with any of those supporters. 

If we stay up on the last day it’ll probably match some of your greatest seasons this century.

Quite sad really.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

If we stay up on the last day it’ll probably match some of your greatest seasons this century.

Quite sad really.

If you go down how will you feel ? A better season than the Saints?

I know everyone is still raw but looking forward to next season, I wonder if there will be whole sale changes or a gentle tweek to try and improve again.

Potential sales McGrath? Erhahon? We don't want a major over haul in the middle of the park but we could see our 3 first picks move onto pastures new, definitely JDH at least.

Erwin was pretty decent today, unlucky with his effort, if anything he caught it too clean. If he scuffed that he probably scores.

Our goalkeepers and first choice back line are all signed up for another season.

Connelly and Durmus both out of contract, I think we must get Ilky signed up but he has to play as a winger. Connelly meh not fussed.

Up front, our problem area. Obika is out of contract, looks like he will be away? Had a bit of a stop start season, definitely didnt hit the heights of last season but better than Erwin imo. Brophy Erwin and Dennis all signed up. I'd probably still try and offload Erwin.

Big decisions for our gaffer

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not too sure how I’ll feel if we go down as I haven’t experienced it before but of course not our season has been a disaster.

As it happens,  I hope Killie don't get relegated. Would much rather pish like Hamilton are launched to the seaside never to return. 

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I know everyone is still raw but looking forward to next season, I wonder if there will be whole sale changes or a gentle tweek to try and improve again.

Potential sales McGrath? Erhahon? We don't want a major over haul in the middle of the park but we could see our 3 first picks move onto pastures new, definitely JDH at least.

Erwin was pretty decent today, unlucky with his effort, if anything he caught it too clean. If he scuffed that he probably scores.

Our goalkeepers and first choice back line are all signed up for another season.

Connelly and Durmus both out of contract, I think we must get Ilky signed up but he has to play as a winger. Connelly meh not fussed.

Up front, our problem area. Obika is out of contract, looks like he will be away? Had a bit of a stop start season, definitely didnt hit the heights of last season but better than Erwin imo. Brophy Erwin and Dennis all signed up. I'd probably still try and offload Erwin.

Big decisions for our gaffer

I reckon Obika, Quanar,JDH ,Erwin, McGrath, and Flynn will all go in the summer with possibly Durmus as well. 

As for Erhahon I just don’t get what folk see in the boy, he’s the most overrated player at the club. 

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon Obika, Quanar,JDH ,Erwin, McGrath, and Flynn will all go in the summer with possibly Durmus as well. 

As for Erhahon I just don’t get what folk see in the boy, he’s the most overrated player at the club. 

Was gonna say, after today, I think we cash in on Erhahon if a bid comes in. We need more experience through the middle of the park.

I still think he's got potential but he needs to screw the nut and needs to mature as a player, quickly. Maybe needs to take himself out his comfort zone to develop. 

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list, too. I'd love Durmus to stay but if I was him I'd be pretty scunnered about being made to play wingback. It's completely throttling him as an attacking outlet.

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Erhahon has his moments but is far too inconsistent. Maybe age is an issue. 

If we get a decent offer for McGrath, I'd be tempted to cash in.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

Erhahon has his moments but is far too inconsistent. Maybe age is an issue. 

If we get a decent offer for McGrath, I'd be tempted to cash in.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was gonna say, after today, I think we cash in on Erhahon if a bid comes in. We need more experience through the middle of the park.

I still think he's got potential but he needs to screw the nut and needs to mature as a player, quickly. Maybe needs to take himself out his comfort zone to develop. 

Pretty much agree with the rest of your list, too. I'd love Durmus to stay but if I was him I'd be pretty scunnered about being made to play wingback. It's completely throttling him as an attacking outlet.

Turned 20 today, still time to improve & become more consistent.

1 minute ago, btb said:

Turned 20 today, still time to improve & become more consistent.

No arguments from me. We lost today because of poor finishing. 

Can't help but feel Obika might have finished one of the two Quaner chances, but I might be clutching. 

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I actually grew up in Kilmarnock and used to go with my mates for some great away days back in the early 90’s but over the years the club has attracted some real rosters with delusions of grandeur. Shame.

Have you missed some of your fellow buddies posts on this very thread by chance? 

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Have you missed some of your fellow buddies posts on this very thread by chance? 

From top 3 to fighting for your lives in as many seasons. Maybe time for some humility for Killie fans. 

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was thinking that McGrath would benefit from another season with us before moving on.  But it won’t be a surprise to see him move for a decent fee. 

Durmus I would be doing everything to keep as he’s one of our best performers and a matchwinner. 

49 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I generally take that stuff as WUM’s but generally Saints fans know we are bottom six/top 4 Championship club but some of your fans actually think you are a big club instead of a really successful side who has punched above their weight for a long time.

I guess it comes down to a whole generation growing up supporting the club and having never experienced an Eddie Morrison side. Not a dig, just an observation.

13 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Quite sad really.

To be fair, our season isn't quite over yet. Hopefully we do everything we can on Wednesday to help see you lot off to the Championship. 

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, our season isn't quite over yet. Hopefully we do everything we can on Wednesday to help see you lot off to the Championship. 

I'm predicting a fair amount of apathy tbh, fans and players alike.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Ehhhhh, bollocks. Feeling pretty flat this morning. I was never in a million years assuming we'd win yesterday, but I had dared to dream about getting to the final. No exaggeration to say I honestly miss my Gran and Grampa every day - they took me to the game in 1987 and I was picturing how emotional it'd be seeing us feature in another SC final.

As they say - and as gets written on this thread very frequently - it's the hope that kills you.

Positives? None, really, but I'll try because that's my coping mechanism:

1. We did actually play fairly well, so it doesn't feel like the LC semi. This frustration is more around those missed chances. 
  2. I guess it's left me feeling more philosophical - relaxed - about which players may or may not be with us next season. Truth is I'd be comfortable with any of them going if we get decent fees for them. If we get offeed 400k+ and a sell-on for McGrath, I think he'll be away too.
  3. I thought Brophy looked lively when he came on. Hope he gets some minutes in the remaining games.
  4. I hope this is the nail in the coffin of the 3-5-2, but I strongly suspect it won't be. Finding adequate wingbacks at our level is nigh-on impossible. Tait can almost do it, but not quite. Even Rooney for St J looks ok, but equally got turned inside out by Durmus a few times.
  5. I hope this has highlighted the need for experience in the middle of the park and an experienced CM (at this level) has to be near the top of our priority list for next season.

Feel free to add any others - I need a pick-me-up!