The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

From a nerdy perspective, I'll be interested to see how Jamieson progresses with you lads. Created a "potential" system that, so far, can only judge based on current season and current level, so its based on League One standard, but...

Midden.thumb.png.3657a8b35d7f80e50993fc53961b688d.png

Well beyond League One level. Probably still small etc, which leads to the low target man score? but rest of game is quality. Worth remembering this is him compared to Megginson/Sammon/Graham/Goodwillie etc.

From a nerdy perspective, I'll be interested to see how Jamieson progresses with you lads. Created a "potential" system that, so far, can only judge based on current season and current level, so its based on League One standard, but...

Well beyond League One level. Probably still small etc, which leads to the low target man score? but rest of game is quality. Worth remembering this is him compared to Megginson/Sammon/Graham/Goodwillie etc.
The Academy guys were touting him as a very good prospect and although promoted to the first team squad he never got a look-in. The loan has maybe boosted his confidence and should maybe have happened earlier instead of sitting on our bench.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's been a painfully/embarrassingly long time since we produced a striker of note. Seriously, we're talking Barry Lavety. (I'm not accepting Steven McGarry as he really was much better in a deeper role.)

From that point of view alone I'd love to see Jamieson be given a shot.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's been a painfully/embarrassingly long time since we produced a striker of note. Seriously, we're talking Barry Lavety. (I'm not accepting Steven McGarry as he really was much better in a deeper role.)

From that point of view alone I'd love to see Jamieson be given a shot.

Jon McShane nearly looked like he'd be a prospect. He was sent out to league one and did well for Alloa, then the championship and did really well for Accies and then just.....sort of stopped.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Obika, Connolly, Flynn and Brophy have all passed fitness tests and are available for selection on Sunday.

Fraser available too.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jon McShane nearly looked like he'd be a prospect. He was sent out to league one and did well for Alloa, then the championship and did really well for Accies and then just.....sort of stopped.

I nearly mentioned him but couldn't think of his name. Sure he had a decent physical presence and there was loads of clamour for him to get more game time.

I nearly mentioned him but couldn't think of his name. Sure he had a decent physical presence and there was loads of clamour for him to get more game time.
Turning point for him was when we beat Morton 4-3 in the league Cup at Cappelow, Thommohawk was through on goal , all he had to do was lay it on a plate for McShane and he had a tap in. Unfortunately Thommo was greedy and missed the sitter and McShane never got that all important first goal for us.

What I'd give for another Lavety in the stripes [emoji7].

Oh well.... at least this weird season has nearly been put to bed.

Although I wanted us to win today I had the same strange sense of dread I had in the Livi semi final of having to watch us in a cup final from my living room. Beggars can't be choosers but it would be bittersweet to win a trophy this season. Not the same.

Roll on August and hopefully we're back in the ground!

16 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Probably worth releasing guys like Quaner tomorrow, not adding anything to a season that is done and not going to be here next season. Thanks for your ‘efforts’. 

What's Quaner done wrong - after a lay-off prior to joining us he was crocked on his first appearance and never looked 100% fit when he did make it onto the park, it was an understandable decision signing him it just didn't work out.

On a more general note in the abstract it's been a decent season but we didn't do enough in the three big games - I'm out till July/August or whenever.....

10 minutes ago, btb said:

What's Quaner done wrong - after a lay-off prior to joining us he was crocked on his first appearance and never looked 100% fit when he did make it onto the park, it was an understandable decision signing him it just didn't work out.

On a more general note in the abstract it's been a decent season but we didn't do enough in the three big games - I'm out till July/August or whenever.....

Not sure where I criticized his signing or said he had done something wrong.

I just don’t see a benefit to playing guys who absolutely won’t be here next season. The cup has gone, the league is a series of dead rubbers, the rebuild starts tomorrow and anyone who won’t be part of that needs to step aside.

14 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Not sure where I criticized his signing or said he had done something wrong.

I just don’t see a benefit to playing guys who absolutely won’t be here next season. The cup has gone, the league is a series of dead rubbers, the rebuild starts tomorrow and anyone who won’t be part of that needs to step aside.

Sorry if I misunderstood you but putting "efforts"  in quotation marks would normally be construed as you thinking they were less than 100% - as for the remaining two games I'm not too bothered who plays.

Edited by btb

10 minutes ago, btb said:

Sorry if I misunderstood you but putting "efforts"  in quotation marks would normally be construed as you thinking they were less than 100% - as for the remaining two games I'm not too bothered who plays.

Sorry, the quotations were just because it’s such a cliche 👍🏻

Commiserations to St Mirren but still you have to look back on your season and think it’s been a job well done.  At least 7th in the flight and an incredible Scottish Cup (QF) win.

Best season for St Mirren in my lifetime. You’ll be able to tell your grandkids about this one.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Commiserations to St Mirren but still you have to look back on your season and think it’s been a job well done.  At least 7th in the flight and an incredible Scottish Cup (QF) win.

Best season for St Mirren in my lifetime. You’ll be able to tell your grandkids about this one.

I actually grew up in Kilmarnock and used to go with my mates for some great away days back in the early 90’s but over the years the club has attracted some real rosters with delusions of grandeur. Shame.

3 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I actually grew up in Kilmarnock and used to go with my mates for some great away days back in the early 90’s but over the years the club has attracted some real rosters with delusions of grandeur. Shame.

It's funny,  our defeat today has attracted some crackers - Morton , Thistle,  Hearts and now Killie fans gloating.  I'm not sure I'd want to swap our season with any of those supporters.