The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

We don’t know whether there is a release clause in his contract. Remember agents are sneaky cnuts and look at all options to make money off their clients.

Only a few years ago Aberdeen were buying our old urinals from Love St.

They have a history of always trying to get things on the cheap including players like Dougie Bell, Frank McDougall, Billy Stark and Kenny McLean. Not to mention Fergie. 

I think we did OK out of the deals on Peter Weir, David Winnie and Ricky Gillies.

McGrath has a contract extension on the table so he very much holds all the cards here if the Aberdeen interest is genuine. I would never begrudge a footballer moving on for more wages as I’d do the exact same.

What McGrath needs to take into account is the progress he has made under Goodwin, one of the finest young managers in European football. His progress would be severely stunted working under a dud soccer coach & Alan Russell - regardless of his reputation.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Half a million and a decent sell-on would do it.

Yeah, that would be what I'd be looking for. Whether or not we get that is another thing.

The Record also reports Peterborough are interested. They're about to get promoted to the Championship and I'd imagine they'll have far more financial clout - in terms of wages and transfer fee - than any Scottish club who wanted him. Whether or not he's good enough to go straight there remains to be seen. The 14 goals is a good headline figure, but how many of those have been penalties? They all count of course.

McGrath has been great for us and would be a huge loss. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes in the summer, just hope we get a decent wedge for him.

Aberdeen just now would be a poor move for McGrath. They are a shambles of a club at the moment, leaking millions with many of the squad out of contract. Their inexperienced manager has a major rebuilding job for next season. Hardly a place to push on from.
Jamie should sign an extension with us with a buy out clause and wait for a Championship club to come calling offering him and us megabucks.

£3m for a boy in his mid-20s who goes missing every few weeks and only scores penalties. 

What a world St Mirren fans live in.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

£3m for a boy in his mid-20s who goes missing every few weeks and only scores penalties. 

What a world St Mirren fans live in.

That’s probably on a par with the worst attempts at fishing, even for this site which is littered with WUM’s who are funny in their own heads.

35 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

2 cup semi-finals in competitions filled with variance which other managers seem to struggle to manage, along with a strong league showing. Can’t be sniffed at.

2 Scottish domestic cup semi-finals, the likes of Nagelsmann, De Zerbi and Rose could never

1 hour ago, G51 said:

what

Would be interesting to see how well he would do with all the £millions that Slippy G has at his disposal. 

At least Goodwin has managed two semis.

3DD02487-FB09-48D7-9E1D-D8D9E4759A36.jpeg.f5e035bf82455121c690840d9399ea1d.jpeg

2 Scottish domestic cup semi-finals, the likes of Nagelsmann, De Zerbi and Rose could never
Well they haven't done it.

On a serious note: Mcgrath is a decent player. No more than that. He's scored 8 goals in the league however 7 of them have been penalties. He is very hot and cold. Talk of 2 and 3 million is crazy.

9 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Would be interesting to see how well he would do with all the £millions that Slippy G has at his disposal. 

At least Goodwin has managed two semis.

3DD02487-FB09-48D7-9E1D-D8D9E4759A36.jpeg.f5e035bf82455121c690840d9399ea1d.jpeg

I feel sorry for your wife if a semi is the extent of your ambitions

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

They may well do. You perhaps missed the inclusion of ‘one of’. Callum Davidson would also be in that list.

I mean, how far down the list of top young European managers are we talking here? Top 10? 12?

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

McGrath has a contract extension on the table so he very much holds all the cards here if the Aberdeen interest is genuine. I would never begrudge a footballer moving on for more wages as I’d do the exact same.

What McGrath needs to take into account is the progress he has made under Goodwin, one of the finest young managers in European football. His progress would be severely stunted working under a dud soccer coach & Alan Russell - regardless of his reputation.

I read an article about McGrath, might have been in Stonewaller or something like that, but I'm sure he was talking about how he's quite a shy guy, and likes to stay where he's happy, hence why he stayed in Ireland so long and only came to St Mirren because Goodwin really convinced him it was a good move. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs that extension.

McGrath can and will do better than Aberdeen. If a team from down south comes in he will go there. We are developing quality youth players who I expect to step up. We are a club going in the right direction and we can only get better pulling in decent money for players. 

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

That’s probably on a par with the worst attempts at fishing, even for this site which is littered with WUM’s who are funny in their own heads.

He's about to turn 25, is an attacking midfielder, and has 1 open play goal and 2 assists in the league this season...

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's about to turn 25, is an attacking midfielder, and has 1 open play goal and 2 assists in the league this season...

Ah the old stats argument to make you feel superior. You’ve seen every minute of every game he’s played ?