The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, not for me. Keep him in unless he's being dropped on merit. I want to get to at least another semi final this year. Best players available all in their best positions from here on in, until such a time as all remaining games are meaningless. The top six failure was a dropped bollock but semi-final money/occasion would help to atone for that slightly.

While I agree with that, the suggestion from folk who have been watching games (which I've not done for a while) is that he's been of form for quite some time.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

While I agree with that, the suggestion from folk who have been watching games (which I've not done for a while) is that he's been of form for quite some time.

JDH is playing a much deeper role than he did initially and, as such, IMO, he doesn't stand out in an attacking sense, which makes his contribution much less noticeable. I think he's been doing fine in his current role. Others disagree.

I don't think he's standing out as much as he did with us initially, but again  IMO, he's by far the best option that we have for that role.

JDH has been doing a good job playing very deep in front of a back three. Mostly passes forwards and takes responsibility. He will be a big miss if he goes.

JDH has been doing a good job playing very deep in front of a back three. Mostly passes forwards and takes responsibility. He will be a big miss if he goes.
Aye, it sounds a simple role but when you see just how bad Sheron was at it you can't take it for granted.

For what it's worth I think Durmus is wasted at left wing back. He has to be given the freedom to attack down the left.

Aye, it sounds a simple role but when you see just how bad Sheron was at it you can't take it for granted.

For what it's worth I think Durmus is wasted at left wing back. He has to be given the freedom to attack down the left.

Yep totally agree. I just think we're a better team when we play a back four.

Great result last night and while the kwality might de disparaged by some it was a good old fashioned cup-tie.

Looking forward to what's left of the season - if we can beat Killie (presumably) in the cup QF and hold onto eighth spot it will be a good season, miss out on one and it will still be decent but miss out on both and it will feel a bit meh...

Oh and if we can go further than the S/F it still has the potential to be a "red number" season.

Great result last night and while the kwality might de disparaged by some it was a good old fashioned cup-tie.
Looking forward to what's left of the season - if we can beat Killie (presumably) in the cup QF and hold onto eighth spot it will be a good season, miss out on one and it will still be decent but miss out on both and it will feel a bit meh...
Oh and if we can go further than the S/F it still has the potential to be a "red number" season.

Knowing Jim like we do he will be pushing the players to win every game.

Unfortunately some of them look on holiday mode already. There was a real lack of urgency and intensity in the first half imo, with that line up I thought we'd come out the traps flying. ICT settled into the game too easily, we didn't stamp our quality or authority in the game, didn't help that we were missing Erhahon and JDH going off injured. Ended up with Tait in the holding midfield role from what I can tell.

But hey we are through, that's all that matters. If we continue to play like that though we won't pick up many more wins and there will not be much momentum going into next season.

Just watched the highlights there. It's been bugging me for a few weeks now who it is that Dennis reminds me of, and I finally got there. His playing style is very reminiscent of Robbie Fowler. Obviously not the same level, but the way he finds space, the way he can dig the ball out from under his feet, and the way he strikes it are similar. Neither blessed with tonnes of pace but prove it's not necessary if your thoughts are a couple notches faster than everyone else's.

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just watched the highlights there. It's been bugging me for a few weeks now who it is that Dennis reminds me of, and I finally got there. His playing style is very reminiscent of Robbie Fowler. Obviously not the same level, but the way he finds space, the way he can dig the ball out from under his feet, and the way he strikes it are similar. Neither blessed with tonnes of pace but prove it's not necessary if your thoughts are a couple notches faster than everyone else's.

Carved out a great chance for himself in the first half with a superb couple of touches but unfortunately dragged the shot half a yard wide. I hope him and Brophy can stay fit next season, could potentially be a brilliant partner ship. 

3 minutes ago, Buddy Love said:

Watching his last few appearances it makes you wonder how our season would have panned out had Dennis remained fit and available since we signed him.

We'd definitely have made top six on the basis we were only three goals short. Would he have scored three more goals this season of he'd been fit? Absolutely. 

7 hours ago, btb said:

I'm usually in complete agreement with your writing on here, but for me, this season we need to get 7th and be 'best of the rest' for this to be a good season.    

I know we're usually fighting over the scraps at this point in the season, but we need to better Dundee United.  They're broke, players and coaching staff on dry rations and they've been in the footballing wilderness for the past 3(?) seasons.  We had the momentum and Goodwin gets paid to supply the aggression and hunger.  

Onwards and upwards.  

Watching the highlights back tonight, I actually think Durmus looked really good when playing more centrally later in the game. It was after he and Connolly had switched wings, where he was probably drifting inside a lot. He had lots of nice touches on the edge of the box and almost scored twice.

He doesn't really have the pace to be a consistent winger but he's got good technical ability and is clearly versatile. I'd like to see him on a new deal.

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Dennis is the most natural finisher we have had in a long time. Can only hope he stays 100% fit now. 

Dennis 70% fit is something we've not had in a while- a natural goal scorer. 

Keep him fit along with Brophy recapturing his previous form , then we are heading in the right direction forward wise.

As was said on Sportscene, before yesterday ICT were unbeaten in eight and they had won six of those. That run included an away win at a top flight side. Could tell they were full of confidence and it was never going to be a stroll.
Wasn’t a vintage performance but job done in 90 minutes, we’d certainly all have taken that before KO.
Bit worrying if we now have Flynn, JDH and Erhahon all unavailable due to injury. That’s three of our four senior central midfielders. Expect Cammy will be starting most games between now and the end of the season, Reid too, maybe? Would certainly like to see him get some minutes in Dingwall midweek.

Just dropping in to say that young Nick McAllister has been excellent for us since joining on loan. He's played right back, centre back and centre midfield and last night picked up I think his second MOTM award. He's performed well in every position but seems to have cemented his place in midfield now, tough tackling and always looks to play a pass. I thought he was excellent at right back too, bombed forward whenever he could. Clearly a player with a good footballing brain and I think most Sons fans wouldn't mind seeing him return next season, if he were available. 

Just dropping in to say that young Nick McAllister has been excellent for us since joining on loan. He's played right back, centre back and centre midfield and last night picked up I think his second MOTM award. He's performed well in every position but seems to have cemented his place in midfield now, tough tackling and always looks to play a pass. I thought he was excellent at right back too, bombed forward whenever he could. Clearly a player with a good footballing brain and I think most Sons fans wouldn't mind seeing him return next season, if he were available. 
Great stuff. I've only seen him play once in a League Cup game away to Albion Rovers and he didn't look out of place in the admittedly poor squad then.