The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Goodwin saying players have had their heads turned and that we could lose 'five or six' from the squad. 😐

My money would be on JDH, obviously, and possibly Erhahon (he had that cryptic 'my time will come' tweet in January.) Probably safe to say Fraser will be away, too.

https://twitter.com/PLZSoccer/status/1382355466102009857

To be fair, its not that dramatic. He mentions one or two having their heads turned (JDH certainly).

Losing five or six in the context he said it, appears to be mostly bodies that he's willingly allowing to leave or not offering deals to. 

I'd say he's not going to offer Flynn, Connolly, Obika new deals. We've also confirmed Morias is not getting offered a deal. You'd say JDH is definitely gone, possibly Fraser depending in interest elsewhere. Add to this, his patience must be running out with McAllister by now, yes he has a year left but Jim said this was his make or break season so he's clearly at the end of his tether a bit with him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered out. 

Goodwin saying players have had their heads turned and that we could lose 'five or six' from the squad. [emoji52]
My money would be on JDH, obviously, and possibly Erhahon (he had that cryptic 'my time will come' tweet in January.) Probably safe to say Fraser will be away, too.
https://twitter.com/PLZSoccer/status/1382355466102009857
2 years left on Erhahons deal, another club will have to stump up a fair bit of cash for us to part with him you'd imagine.

I can see Connolly possibly as one leaving, not sure if he has the consistency for a step up to someone like Hibs or Aberdeen but on his day he is an absolute terror for any defence in this league.

Losing Fraser would be a huge blow.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, its not that dramatic. He mentions one or two having their heads turned (JDH certainly).

Losing five or six in the context he said it, appears to be mostly bodies that he's willingly allowing to leave or not offering deals to. 

I'd say he's not going to offer Flynn, Connolly, Obika new deals. We've also confirmed Morias is not getting offered a deal. You'd say JDH is definitely gone, possibly Fraser depending in interest elsewhere. Add to this, his patience must be running out with McAllister by now, yes he has a year left but Jim said this was his make or break season so he's clearly at the end of his tether a bit with him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered out. 

Cards on the table: I posted the link before I listened to the video. And yeah, it's not actually that dramatic. Two players maybe had heads turned - JDH and Fraser, let's say - and the rest who would be likely to leave you'd hope we'd perhaps be looking at upgrades for anyway.

I'll wring out my underpants.

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

2 years left on Erhahons deal, another club will have to stump up a fair bit of cash for us to part with him you'd imagine.

I can see Connolly possibly as one leaving, not sure if he has the consistency for a step up to someone like Hibs or Aberdeen but on his day he is an absolute terror for any defence in this league.

Agreed re Fraser, he seems tailor-made for that right-of-the-back-three role that he's absolutely excelled in and to which Jim seems fairly wedded.

Connolly is a really interesting case. He's not really consistent enough for us so he certainly wouldn't be for a top four side... yet you could well imagine someone taking a punt on him for his pace alone. I'd absolutely be trying to keep him but you'd imagine a carefully-edited highlights reel would be easily enough to interest other clubs.

40 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Connolly is the typical frustrating winger. However even on his day when he's giving full backs hell with his turn of pace, his end product is really below what you'd expect.

If we lose Erhahon now, it would need to be for a lot of money given how highly rated he is and the fact he has another two years.

We got lucky with him as I heard his loan to Barnsley was a cert to be made permanent before the shutdown. We'd have probably lost him for about £150k and been lamenting it for years.

As much as I do not want to lose Fraser I would go after Jason Naismith and we have Tait who is a natural right back. Don't think Fraser would be going to Hibs and Paul McGinn already covers that position very well.

Reckon Obika, Flynn and McAllister will be gone. We already know Morias is away and JDH probably. Would be sorry if Durmus or Connolly go.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

As much as I do not want to lose Fraser I would go after Jason Naismith and we have Tait who is a natural right back. Don't think Fraser would be going to Hibs and Paul McGinn already covers that position very well.

Reckon Obika, Flynn and McAllister will be gone. We already know Morias is away and JDH probably. Would be sorry if Durmus or Connolly go.

Whilst he's been a wee bit better in the last two games as well, I think Erwin is a stick on to get cut loose. Maybe end up at a championship side.

He's been nowhere near good enough.

JDH has been off the boil for a few weeks, got that classic look of knowing he won't be hanging around come the summer. 

I'd still keep McAllister. His talent is worth persevering with in my opinion.

I'd be sad to lose Obika but we really need to improve up front. Brophy, Dennis, and a few new guys could be the difference. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

As well as he's done in the past few months, I'm not particularly fussed about Fraser potentially leaving.

It's the left side that we need sorted, as there are far fewer decent options out there. If the Albanian rumour is true, then maybe we have sorted it.

RB is a much easier position to fill.

Hopefully we can keep at least one of Durmus or Connolly. Wouldn't like to see both go.

As much as Obika doesn't score enough goals, I'd hate to see him end up at another team in the league.

Edited by FTOF

I would like Fraser to stay because he's solid, tends to be fit, and can play a couple of positions. He's not the greatest player to play for us, or the most exciting, but he plays every week and rarely lets us down.

Problem with guys like Obika, Durmus and Connolly up is that they are the exact opposite. They aren't consistent enough, don't always look fit enough, and have all struggled to nail down a spot as an absolute must pick starter. They've all done a good job at times, and will be remembered fondly, but the big question is "can we do better?" and I think we can. Also, these guys need to be somewhere they are playing every week. They aren't guys you should have hanging around as backup.

Goodwin hasn't really let us down when it comes to recruitment so far. Got a bit unlucky with Quaner and Chabbi, and Sheron and I suppose Mason have been a bit of a waste of time, but everyone else has contributed.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

I would like Fraser to stay because he's solid, tends to be fit, and can play a couple of positions. He's not the greatest player to play for us, or the most exciting, but he plays every week and rarely lets us down.

Problem with guys like Obika, Durmus and Connolly up is that they are the exact opposite. They aren't consistent enough, don't always look fit enough, and have all struggled to nail down a spot as an absolute must pick starter. They've all done a good job at times, and will be remembered fondly, but the big question is "can we do better?" and I think we can. Also, these guys need to be somewhere they are playing every week. They aren't guys you should have hanging around as backup.

Goodwin hasn't really let us down when it comes to recruitment so far. Got a bit unlucky with Quaner and Chabbi, and Sheron and I suppose Mason have been a bit of a waste of time, but everyone else has contributed.

I actually forgot Mason existed.

56 minutes ago, GAD said:

The old MacPherson Conundrum - I've been thinking along the same lines myself - it's a tricky task assessing these three, they're all of them Bottom6 players and you wouldn't weep to see any of them leave individually but this has also to be balanced against continuity. Maybe the question is "can we do worse?". I'd be tempted to keep Obika and one of the wingers, on balance Connolly, but offering 1 year deals.

Of the other players being discussed I'd miss Flynn most as he's the last name on my 17/18 Championship Winner's mug still left at the club.

Edited by btb

Agreed re Fraser, he seems tailor-made for that right-of-the-back-three role that he's absolutely excelled in and to which Jim seems fairly wedded.
Connolly is a really interesting case. He's not really consistent enough for us so he certainly wouldn't be for a top four side... yet you could well imagine someone taking a punt on him for his pace alone. I'd absolutely be trying to keep him but you'd imagine a carefully-edited highlights reel would be easily enough to interest other clubs.
Will be hard to replace Fraser. Unless we slot Tait in there and sign a right back and a left back.
Connolly is the typical frustrating winger. However even on his day when he's giving full backs hell with his turn of pace, his end product is really below what you'd expect.
Aye he has the pace, rarely beats a mean and his decision making is poor. If you combined him together with McAllister you'd have some player.