The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

How long have you been following the Saints? 😂

Let's be honest, if missing out on the top 6 at game 33 of the season is 'the worst' that can happen then it's all good. 

Even if we lose today, our season has been a huge success despite massively difficult circumstances at the start of the campaign. 

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Let's be honest, if missing out on the top 6 at game 33 of the season is 'the worst' that can happen then it's all good. 

Even if we lose today, our season has been a huge success despite massively difficult circumstances at the start of the campaign. 

I think this is the correct and fair answer for a number of clubs this season. Anyone of the teams who’re either already safe, or just about safe have done well. This season has frankly been a nightmare and I think Livi, the 2 saints and Dundee United to a certain extent deserve credit once again for making sure that they’re virtually free of relegation so early as it looked at one point to be a 6 horse race for bottom spot. 

11 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think this is the correct and fair answer for a number of clubs this season. Anyone of the teams who’re either already safe, or just about safe have done well. This season has frankly been a nightmare and I think Livi, the 2 saints and Dundee United to a certain extent deserve credit once again for making sure that they’re virtually free of relegation so early as it looked at one point to be a 6 horse race for bottom spot. 

Yup. St. Johnstone deserve a huge amount of credit for being in the position they are as well. It gets forgotten that like us, they had a dreadful start to the season and couldn't score goals... at one brief point it seemed like their number might be up. 

It's been some turnaround in 4 or 5 months to now have a trophy and a pretty good shot at top six. 

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We have a real chance of finishing fifth this season, qualifying for the inaugural Europa Conference League, and playing some really big names! 😃  If that happens we're more likely to tempt our better players to stay and attract other quality players, not to mention the financial benefits it would bring.

Or we could just pat ourselves on the back for 'surviving'...

Edited by Ralstonite

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yup. St. Johnstone deserve a huge amount of credit for being in the position they are as well. It gets forgotten that like us, they had a dreadful start to the season and couldn't score goals... at one brief point it seemed like their number might be up. 

It's been some turnaround in 4 or 5 months to now have a trophy and a pretty good shot at top six. 

You always had games in hand tbf.

This was the league going into our meeting at McDiarmid in January, a game that felt like it was win or bust time for us...

Screenshot_20210320-090513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e504d0f69c67fb3cd838cd28a6655b.jpg

... we won, won the Semi the next week, and it completely turned us around.

Looking at that you realise how shite Killie have been since the turn of the year. 1pt in 10 games.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Fuxake Killie...

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You always had games in hand tbf.

This was the league going into our meeting at McDiarmid in January, a game that felt like it was win or bust time for us...

Screenshot_20210320-090513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e504d0f69c67fb3cd838cd28a6655b.jpg

... we won, won the Semi the next week, and it completely turned us around.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

16 hours ago, GAD said:

To be honest, Erhahon has pretty much turned out as I expected. It was clear he was a decent talent just from the amount of people talking about him and the path he'd come through. I could never understand why people were willing to write him off so quickly on the back of being hung out to dry at left back when he was 17 by Saint Oran.

MacPherson I would say has actually surprised me a bit more the way he's fought his way into the squad, seen off the likes of Foley and McGinn and at the moment is a very solid squad member for a team with a decent midfeild. His passing is still a bit ropy, and he gives away stupid fouls, but he's improved a lot. I think bottom to mid premiership in Scotland will be his level though.

MacPherson has a lot of mobility and energy, makes himself available and has a bit of pace and dig. 

Of the two Erhahon is clearly the better player, but Cammy definately brings something to the party.

Like most, I'm not all that fussed if we make the top 6 or not. You only need to look at where we were during the middle of the campaign - primarily down to the Covid shenanigans - to see that Goodwin has done a good job to get us back up the table.

BVbkgYa.png

(source: https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/4950575/embed)

In fact it's only @djchapsticks's honour at stake due to his topic title.. ;)

That said, it's a Saturday, the sun is out and it's a nice day, it's got a cup final feel about things with an air of anticipation. I'm genuinely looking forward to this. Probably because for the first time in a while we've been playing Hamilton at the tail end of a season where a loss wouldn't plunge us directly into the relegation zone.

Edited by Ric

17 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

We have a real chance of finishing fifth this season, qualifying for the inaugural Europa Conference League, and playing some really big names! 😃  If that happens we're more likely to tempt our better players to stay and attract other quality players, not to mention the financial benefits it would bring.

Or we could just pat ourselves on the back for 'surviving'...

Oh don't get me wrong, I 100% get where you're coming from. 

The financial benefits and potential platform of a top six finish is clearly better than being best of the rest but given we've only really seen one top flight season in the last two decades prior to this one where we haven't been fighting for survival and lookong over our shoulder, we definitely do deserve to give ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done this season, regardless of outcome from this point. 

We've certainly progressed over the season regardless of where we end up from here. 

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Good lord Killie... when was the last time they won?

They beat Hamilton on the 9th of January, when Dyer was still manager.

They'd picked up 7pts in his last 6 games, and only 1 in the 10 since.

Cheers, I've been trying to "profile" players through numbers, and was just going team by team to see anything interested (I skipped looking at Doyle-Hayes, because f**k you guys for signing him). I'll spoiler what I mean for folk that don't care for stats stuff.
Spoiler

304650152_download(17).png.3449880a9b4601186fbc35cfbe4c7905.png

1686076789_download(18).png.8cfe7c68510f6a23ce6532fad4a37e43.png

If you see blue then they're underperforming the role they're being asked to play. Red means they're overperforming in that role. Size doesnt really matter that much, especially for young players who haven't played massive amounts, its really just a case of the longer ones being indictive.

So Erhahon is a playmaker who doesn't get stuck into tackles, and is playing well in his own half despite his role not really helping him do that, while MacPherson is an aggressive goal threat who does most of his work in the opposition half, but isn't doing a good job of getting goals or helping the attack in the final third.

That seem fair?

You really need lockdown to end. Soon.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting. Not that Dyer was exactly tearing it up, but I guess people didn't realize back then that averaging a point a match would have been very acceptable for this season.

I’d absolutely love to finish in the top 6. It wouldn’t be the end of the world now if St Johnstone pipped us. However, I would be really disappointed if we blow it now.

Who says mid-table mediocrity was boring? We usually have the thrill of trying to avoid the drop/play-off, but this whole top 6 tilt and trying to overhaul Livi for 5th carry on fairly gets the blood pressure up.

7 points in his last 6 games, but also 7 points in his last 11 games. He had the worst record of any manager in our 28 years back in the top flight.

42 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I’d absolutely love to finish in the top 6. It wouldn’t be the end of the world now if St Johnstone pipped us. However, I would be really disappointed if we blow it now.

Who says mid-table mediocrity was boring? We usually have the thrill of trying to avoid the drop/play-off, but this whole top 6 tilt and trying to overhaul Livi for 5th carry on fairly gets the blood pressure up.

Might as well go for Europe when you have the opportunity.