The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes joint 9th, on 4.

If you remove the OF then only Tony Watt and Martin Boyle have more, both on 5, so thats maybe what you'd heard.

xA per90 is a fairer metric, as it counts chances they've created, not just chances that were scored, and hes 4th highest in the league, only Turnbull, Christie, and Rogic above him...

oh xFFS

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

oh xFFS

Do you not think its fairer to look at the chances they've created? Rather than judging how creative a player is by how good the strikers hes providing chances for are?

Up to yourself, obviously, just curious about the stigma around such things.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you not think its fairer to look at the chances they've created? Rather than judging how creative a player is by how good the strikers hes providing chances for are?

The x before the FFS indicates I wasn't being entirely serious.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

The x before the FFS indicates I wasn't being entirely serious.

Apologies. I'm now programmed to expect abuse when posting such things on this site tbh.

29 minutes ago, Micky said:

I’m with you on this. It’s not that I think McGrath is pish..he’s a tidy footballer with a decent touch....but he’s overrated by many Saints fans in my opinion.

The simple fact is he doesn’t create very much. He’s been perfect from the spot and scored one or two other important goals. However his delivery at set pieces is pretty poor, his final ball rarely opens the defence and his shooting is too often powderpuff.

When we are playing well he looks good in our system as he retains possession well. Beyond that I’m not sure there’s much more to offer.

Kyle McAllister takes stick from our fans as he gives away the ball too often ..but the fact is he attempts more difficult passes and creates a lot more chances as a result. Sure I read somewhere recently he’s got the 3rd highest number of assists in the league. Not bad for a player who only starts every second or third game and never completes 90 mins.

Far more effective delivery from open play.

Tait's first goal for us and our third against the blue bigots both came from his deliveries IIRC.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Far more effective delivery from open play.

Tait's first goal for us and our third against the blue bigots both came from his deliveries IIRC.

and Obika's v the Saintees.

ETA ah...thought you were talking about McAllister.

Edited by Arch Stanton

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hey Randomguy, if you don't mind could you tell me how Tony Andreu did against these numbers last season for St Mirren, as I have a strongly held belief that he was a lot more effective than he gets credit for, statistically at least.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Hey Randomguy, if you don't mind could you tell me how Tony Andreu did against these numbers last season for St Mirren, as I have a strongly held belief that he was a lot more effective than he gets credit for, statistically at least.

I'll have a look but it'll be after my work so won't be until after 5 👍

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

xO, where O=orbits of Earth completed by one of Andreu's shots.

I'm telling you, I'm really looking forward to RG proving once and for all that Tony Andreu was the creative heart of that St Mirren team last season.

58 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm really looking forward to RG..

I suppose when you spend long enough on this site you are likely to see every possible comment, even the craziest of claims.

10 hours ago, GAD said:

Best I can do just now, due to our game, is compare him to players this season. This is this season...

2021-03-03_18-01-23.png.db6a9a16d26aed63060787b76e9f7a5a.png

Andreu last season was 2.91 xA, and 0.15 xA per90 which is just hit total divided by minutes essentially.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Best I can do just now, due to our game, is compare him to players this season. This is this season...

2021-03-03_18-01-23.png.db6a9a16d26aed63060787b76e9f7a5a.png

Andreu last season was 2.91 xA, and 0.15 xA per90 which is just hit total divided by minutes essentially.

Thanks RG, so I assume the higher the number the better? Also, do they not relate? Why would McGrath's xA be higher than McAllister's, but McAllister's xA per 90 be higher? Would it not be in proportion to one another?

Thanks RG, so I assume the higher the number the better? Also, do they not relate? Why would McGrath's xA be higher than McAllister's, but McAllister's xA per 90 be higher? Would it not be in proportion to one another?
I think this will be because McGrath tends to play a full 90 whilst McAllister has a lot of 60/30m appearances. So even though McGrath has created more chances in total, McAllister has created more per 90mins on the pitch.

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

The higher the number the better.

McGrath will have played more minutes than McAllister.

You divide their total minutes played into 90s to create that number (for example, a player who has played 180 minutes with a xA of 2, will have an xA per90 of 1).

It's to try and filter out players who just play a lot of minutes so rack up numbers. I prefer it but a lot of people prefer just looking at the overall number. Just personal preference.

Yeah the only way either United or The Saintees catch us now is if they win both their games.
If they do we just need two points from our two games to guarantee us top six because our superior GD to United.
If either of them don’t win both their games we will finish top six regardless. Even if we lost both ours.