The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That spell of 15 years as a second tier side with only one season in 2001 in the top flight set a full generation of St. Mirren fans, myself included who sees survival as A1 priority.

That being said, I've always said that our rightful place in Scottish football is anywhere from 7th - 15th on the overall ladder with obvious outliers.

I agree with all of that, and aye, 7th - 15th is about right, IMHO.

I think outwith the OF, you'd put Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs as the next 3 traditionally 'biggest' clubs in Scotland and following that about 8 or 9 clubs who you'd realistically stick in the 3rd tier in terms of size. Dundee, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, Dunfermline, Falkirk and maybe Partick Thistle. This third tier of clubs will always be interchangeable in terms of size relative to one another.

I'd argue Dundee Utd fall into a category of their own. They're behind Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, but above the other clubs you've mentioned.

Can we grow as a club? Especially now we're fan owned, we should be doing everything to grow our support and infrastructure. Maybe sell of the Ralston training complex, and building a new one one cheaper land; safe standing,etc.

31 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

1351472990_Screenshot2021-02-01at16_01_54.png.42e6e314450c8f3e9f696c10c22e9f90.png

Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St_Mirren_F.C._seasons

We had a great period from 1977/78 until 1991/92, which was an unbroken spell in the top flight. Over the last fifty seasons, i.e. since 1970/71, we've spent 28 seasons in the top flight, with 22 spent in the second tier = 56% of the last 50 years as a top tier club. I believe the top tier consisted of 18 teams until the 1975/76 season. 

Yeah and prior to your arbitrary 50 season period we only spent 2 seasons outside the top division since being founder members in 1890.

This season is our 101st in the top division. We've spent 24 in the 2nd tier. Very few other clubs can clam to have spent over 80% of their league seasons in the top flight.

35 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_St_Mirren_F.C._seasons

We had a great period from 1977/78 until 1991/92, which was an unbroken spell in the top flight. Over the last fifty seasons, i.e. since 1970/71, we've spent 28 seasons in the top flight, with 22 spent in the second tier = 56% of the last 50 years as a top tier club. I believe the top tier consisted of 18 teams until the 1975/76 season.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah and prior to your arbitrary 50 season period we only spent 2 seasons outside the top division since being founder members in 1890.

This season is our 101st in the top division. We've spent 24 in the 2nd tier. Very few other clubs can clam to have spent over 80% of their league seasons in the top flight.

Yes, and significantly St Mirren have never slipped to a level below the second tier. A few clubs of a roughly similar size such as Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Morton, and others have had their spells down at the seaside.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You almost had me there...unless you saw this and didn't bother checking the date....which you have form for TBH (Lewis Morgan last week).

Some how an old tweet is doing the rounds. Just checked the date. Why are these things going around  ? 

Only 5 and half hours for someone to get the Selzavon joke in.

We must be as attractive a proposition as we've ever been for any undecided player.
Past few years they're looking at clauses what if we drop, this year a team who have knocked off Celtic away and the only ones to pump The Rangers* and sit 6th with 2 or 3 games in hand.  That's exciting to join.

Edited by BigBadSaint

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You're right, it was arbitrary. But I thought fifty years was reasonable - it was within living memory for many of our fans, as it goes back a couple of generations. A fifty year old could easily be a granddad. It could be argued that a 'generation' would be more relevant to the modern game, which could be defined as the last twenty years, or rather this century.

I don't consider Queens Park have a distinguished history and would probably rank about fifth in the country if we were to take all their historical trophies into account. But they're not really relevant in the modern game. 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, and significantly St Mirren have never slipped to a level below the second tier. A few clubs of a roughly similar size such as Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Morton, and others have had their spells down at the seaside.

Indeed. Is that down to fortune or are there other factors which have prevented that from happening?

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Because of a strong 8 or so years in the late 70s - late 80s.

They are no bigger a club than Dundee.

I agree their success has come relatively recently, starting in the 1980s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they average around 7,000-8,000 crowds; they have the seventh largest stadium (now excluding Queens Park, who're developing Lesser) and I'd imagine their budget would be bigger than ours.  This century they have spent four seasons outside the top-flight, have won the Scottish Cup once and finished runners up twice, and were runners up in the League Cup twice - so they have competed in five major finals.