The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

How's this for a character arc: Ethan was chucked in for his top flight debut just over two years ago, at left-back, against Rangers as a 17-year old. He got booked, but performed admirably in the circumstances as we lost 2-0.

A shade over two year down the line, he's still a teenager, and look what he's doing.

He is certainly in a rich vein of form just now. The last two games he has played passes that have opened the defence up and resulted in goals, not fancy spectacular passes but ones that he has made look simple and played with just the right pace. 

Not  many of us would have had him and Doyle Hayes as the first pick centre mid partnership a few weeks ago. 

As a team we have a long way to go but we seem to be going in the right direction. 

On 13/12/2020 at 20:58, Arch Stanton said:

I fear the alternative is for the 3-0 results to be overturned and we are get a 6 point deduction. That way Motherwell and Accies are not receiving points to the detriment of teams in the bottom 6 and the only club punished is ourselves.

Why a six point deduction? If the penalty is for the breach, then it  should be a standard punishment regardless of how many games are involved (that's just an accident of scheduling), especially if the games are to be played later.  So that would make a three point deduction for us and Killi reasonable. 

But that then means that every breach is punishable and should be regardless of whether a game is called off or not. That would mean deductions for Dundee United (team photo), Aberdeen (night out), Sevco (Jordan Jones) and the **** (Bolling golli). See where this is going? Potentially the winner of the SPFL could be decided by an arbitrary decision on who to punish and when and by how much. So surely the best thing to do is to fine and leave points as is, other wise there is potentially a huge can of worms to open up. I'll accept a points deduction if those teams get point deductions too.

Edited by Insaintee

5 hours ago, Biscuits said:

According to the livvy manager his players were cheering when they drew us??

Interesting......

I think more in the sense that they're happy about not having to play Rangers/Celtic. His very next sentence was "St Mirren will be cheering they got Livingston and so on."

Guys, I think it's reasonable to post this here: Morton are our rivals but I don't like seeing any club* in significant bother.

This link is to a petition that's aiming to prevent Morton's current owners from retaining control of Cappielow when they sell up (simplified version). I spotted it when I saw it doing the rounds on Twitter and @GiGi - a sensible guy - assures me the petition is legit. I'm going to sign it. No Morton fan has asked me to share this.

https://www.change.org/p/greenock-morton-keep-cappielow-park-in-the-hands-of-greenock-morton

It's Christmas and they're our neighbours: maybe consider giving it a click and an e-signature yourselves.

Edit: having signed it, there is an option to withhold your name/details if required.

* Obvious exceptions apply.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Someone has went right under the radar on here at least, i know Goody mentioned him after the game, Brandon Mason. My word. What a job he done on Cafu. Another one who was burst by the end but kept going.

Everyone played out of their skin it's not really fair to pick out individuals but the gaffer took a huge punt on dropping Durmus and it paid off.

Yeah, I read that piece and immediately scrolled up to check the date it was written (Sept 4th to save people checking). Can you imagine the pride his family must have in him for scoring two goals against a Gerrard managed team? Almost enough to bring a tear to a glass eye, so it is.

I haven’t send this for a while (ever), but I think we need to give Gordon Scott some credit here.

The Goodwin out brigade were getting louder and louder in October and November. Podcasts, Twitter, on here and various other outlets.

Given his recent record of being trigger happy I thought there was a good chance Gordon was going to blink and sack Goody.

Thank goodness he didn’t and credit to him for ignoring the noise and sticking with his man. We are really reaping the rewards of that decision now.

This is the best Saints team I’ve seen in thirty years. To be 8th - which is our joint highest finish in the last 30+ years - despite forfeiting two games against our direct rivals is phenomenal in itself. That’s before you even count the cup run and knocking out Aberdeen and Rangers en route to Hampden and a genuine shot at another title.

It doesn’t get much better than this for us buddies. Just got to enjoy it while we can. Just can’t believe this is all happening when we can’t get in the ground to see it up close [emoji28]

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

I haven’t send this for a while (ever), but I think we need to give Gordon Scott some credit here.

The Goodwin out brigade were getting louder and louder in October and November. Podcasts, Twitter, on here and various other outlets.

Given his recent record of being trigger happy I thought there was a good chance Gordon was going to blink and sack Goody.

Thank goodness he didn’t and credit to him for ignoring the noise and sticking with his man. We are really reaping the rewards of that decision now.

This is the best Saints team I’ve seen in thirty years. To be 8th - which is our joint highest finish in the last 30+ years - despite forfeiting two games against our direct rivals is phenomenal in itself. That’s before you even count the cup run and knocking out Aberdeen and Rangers en route to Hampden and a genuine shot at another title.

It doesn’t get much better than this for us buddies. Just got to enjoy it while we can. Just can’t believe this is all happening when we can’t get in the ground to see it up close emoji28.png

I completely agree! Whilst I wasn't in favour of sacking Goodwin, I was losing patience. We've now scored six goals in our last two games, and it was our lack of goals that really bothered me, to be honest.

I am absolutely delighted. I'm just sad I can't get into the stadium at the moment. I have a little bit of hope that we might get to watch the League Cup semi-final at Hampden though.

5 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I am absolutely delighted. I'm just sad I can't get into the stadium at the moment. I have a little bit of hope that we might get to watch the League Cup semi-final at Hampden though.

No chance I'm afraid , especially after Sturgeon's words tonight !

It doesn’t get much better than this for us buddies. Just got to enjoy it while we can. Just can’t believe this is all happening when we can’t get in the ground to see it up close [emoji28]
Some of us following since the Fergie era have seen us finish far higher than 8th[emoji56]