The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

To lose an 89th minute equaliser would be a sucker punch to any side but for one who scores so few as we do and against the best side in the country, on a 28 game unbeaten run and who simply don't concede goals normally, it's a hammer blow but at least the fall back of extra time was there. 

Which upon further thought, makes it even more surreal that instead of feeling dejected or deflated, or deciding to keep the ball until FT and get through the next 30 minutes, we went right for their throat. What a ballsy move and something that for so long, we've lamented that we never do against the Old Firm. 

I can only imagine how those scenes would have played out last night with supporters in the stadium. 

Well done Saints. To come back the way you did was just brilliant. The look on Gerrards face at the end would have been worth the admission money alone ( if anybody had been allowed in).  Hampden will be like a morgue in January unless wee Nicola changes her mind on fans but look forward to giving you a good game.

16 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

According to the livvy manager his players were cheering when they drew us??

Interesting......

Cheering is definitely a bit much, but I guess we were the best draw for them, just as they were for us. I read some of his comments and they're quite balanced.

Erhahon was phenomenal last night.

Lamped one of them and took the booking that got us going. Showed them no respect whatsoever. Gave McGregor some verbals too which is always nice.

Was worried he was going to get a second booking but the last 20 minutes he marshalled it along with Doyle-Hayes, who is an absolute dreamboat of a player.

Annoyingly that was only the quarter finals but what a buzz.

I remember young Erhahon being slated by the usual suspects when he was younger and being used in the wrong position. His time on loan down south has been the making of him. He is now one of the most promising youngsters to have come through the ranks in recent years and I include McGinn

32 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

I remember young Erhahon being slated by the usual suspects when he was younger and being used in the wrong position. His time on loan down south has been the making of him. He is now one of the most promising youngsters to have come through the ranks in recent years and I include McGinn

I was constantly on here expressing my complete dismay that he was being made to look like a bad footballer because he was played so wildly out of position. He got away with it the first 2 or 3 months but it was becoming a real problem area when other teams identified him as the weak point.

I'm chuffed he's finally broken in. And fair play to Goodwin as well, he made mistakes last season by deeming Magennis undroppable whilst he was acting club captain and I just thought that a fit Foley would step back into Ethan's spot, regardless of form but this hasn't been the case and going by Sam's reactions on Twitter, his nose isn't out of joint by that.

Ethan is a tremendous talent. He's actually a lot more than a holding midfielder or mopping up in front of the defence. His range of passing is really good as well and he gets about the park.

No blame could lie with Erhahon on that. Kearney was well on his way to ruining him as a player by constantly playing him at left back. I’m sure when Jack Ross was at Saints he raved about Erhahon and gave him a couple games in midfield in the final games of the Championship winning season. Kearney came in and saw him only as a left footed player rather than the ability he clearly has. He’s been great this season so far once he got his chance. We have a good number of decent options in midfield so it is testament to how well he is playing by keeping them out the team.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I was constantly on here expressing my complete dismay that he was being made to look like a bad footballer because he was played so wildly out of position. He got away with it the first 2 or 3 months but it was becoming a real problem area when other teams identified him as the weak point.

How's this for a character arc: Ethan was chucked in for his top flight debut just over two years ago, at left-back, against Rangers as a 17-year old. He got booked, but performed admirably in the circumstances as we lost 2-0.

A shade over two year down the line, he's still a teenager, and look what he's doing.