The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:
Getting Doyle-Hayes on a longer contract would be a brilliant bit of business, but I fear there will be plenty of clubs in his agents ear with regards to next season. I know he did have offers from English lower league teams and it was complications to do with Covid that sent him up here. Sad truth is that even most League 2 teams down south will be able to offer more money than Saints can. Excellent player though, an upgrade on Magennis who hasn’t been missed at all due to Doyle-Hayes performances. 

Take it you haven't heard of the wage cap in English league 1 and 2, that's why he's here in the first place !!!

I have heard of it but I assumed that would still be above our maximum wage. What is the wage cap if you don’t mind me asking?

I have heard of it but I assumed that would still be above our maximum wage. What is the wage cap if you don’t mind me asking?
Google says...
On 7th August, clubs in League One and League Two voted to introduce wage caps for the 2020/21 season. Player costs – including wages, bonuses (apart from cup and promotion-related bonuses), taxes and agents fees – will be capped at £1.5m per season in League Two and £2.5m in League One

Google says...
On 7th August, clubs in League One and League Two voted to introduce wage caps for the 2020/21 season. Player costs – including wages, bonuses (apart from cup and promotion-related bonuses), taxes and agents fees – will be capped at £1.5m per season in League Two and £2.5m in League One

What does that translate into a high level average weekly wage? After bonuses, agents fees etc I don’t think we are a million miles away from competing with that (in my simple
head)

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

What does that translate into a high level average weekly wage? After bonuses, agents fees etc I don’t think we are a million miles away from competing with that (in my simple
head)

A boy on Twitter who works for Swansea believes most League One/Two clubs will be giving their highest earners around £3kpw.

8 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Higher than I thought... Can’t imagine we could get near that

What sort of weekly wage do you think St Mirren would be able to offer? If I was to guess I would say the highest earner at St Mirren this season will be on £1800-£2000 per week, I heard when Steven Thompson was playing he was the clubs highest earner at £2500 a week but don’t think anyone will be on that amount now. 

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

What sort of weekly wage do you think St Mirren would be able to offer? If I was to guess I would say the highest earner at St Mirren this season will be on £1800-£2000 per week, I heard when Steven Thompson was playing he was the clubs highest earner at £2500 a week but don’t think anyone will be on that amount now. 

My mate is good friends with Thommo's dad. I seem to remember him telling me that Thommo signed for us completely on the premise that he was a supporter of the club and that he had made his money elsewhere. He was on £1000 a week.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

My mate is good friends with Thommo's dad. I seem to remember him telling me that Thommo signed for us completely on the premise that he was a supporter of the club and that he had made his money elsewhere. He was on 1000K a week.

Jeezo. A million quid a week? Surprised at St Mirren being able to pay that sort of money tbh. 

In my head most of our players would be on 1 - 1,500 a week with maybe a couple of the top earners slightly more.

I do however, have absolutely nothing to base this on

3 minutes ago, geo87 said:

In my head most of our players would be on 1 - 1,500 a week with maybe a couple of the top earners slightly more.

I do however, have absolutely nothing to base this on

I would say that’s not far from the mark, however I also have absolutely nothing to base that on. 

A mate put a link in a WhatsApp group about wages but I can't find it. It said Obika is the highest earner at £1k/week, Erhahon lowest at £300 although that would have been before he signed his new contract. All speculation of course because very few people will know the true figures.

I imagine you pay similar to us? And our chairman had a moan about us paying a couple of players 6 figure annual salaries a few seasons back.

~£2k a week takes you to around that figure, so presumably that's around the highest we can pay.

I imagine you pay similar to us? And our chairman had a moan about us paying a couple of players 6 figure annual salaries a few seasons back.
~£2k a week takes you to around that figure, so presumably that's around the highest we can pay.
Average wage of a Fakes player was £62,691 in Jan 2020.

36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Found it, I was looking in the wrong group 😃

https://footballleaguefc.com/category/player-wages/spfl-player-wages/

Almost certainly a load of shite 

Can definitely rule this through as shite. Has us down as paying Fitzwater 2.5k a week, Efe Ambrose 1.8k a week.

It also has part time GK Gary Maley who's only ever really played for Broxburn etc at £500 a week