The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Livi getting what is effectively 3 points given to them at the weekend, another to add to the "death by a thousand cuts" season theme.

I'm still positive we'll not be relegated but with each little setback it's certainly building up a momentum.

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

The league authoritie system is in need of a overhaul.  I would have been raging had I been a Hearts , Thistle, Stranaer Falkirk fan. Now with my own club getting punished due to C19 rules being broken nothing comes as a surprise with punishment being handed out. Scottish football always gives its self a good kick in the nuts. 

Or lack of punishments over the years, Rangers and Celtic fans have wrecked stadiums, sung their party songs and all they get is the usual lip service warning. Whereas teams like Killie and Saints f**k up in a worldwide pandemic and bang, major punishment. Before anyone starts I’m not saying we didn’t deserve some reprimand but it’s the way it’s been done.

8 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Whereas teams like Killie and Saints f**k up in a worldwide pandemic and bang, major punishment. Before anyone starts I’m not saying we didn’t deserve some reprimand but it’s the way it’s been done.

baby crying GIF

5 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Or lack of punishments over the years, Rangers and Celtic fans have wrecked stadiums, sung their party songs and all they get is the usual lip service warning. Whereas teams like Killie and Saints f**k up in a worldwide pandemic and bang, major punishment. Before anyone starts I’m not saying we didn’t deserve some reprimand but it’s the way it’s been done.

The spfl have been inconsistent throughout this, there was a chance to change things earlier in the year but....

3 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Check out your thread title for a reminder of how things aren’t going to plan 👍

Thinking that the thread title is in any way serious and I couldn't just fucking change it in less than the time it took to write this post...

oof-size-memes.jpg.d9e8af2669a64bf49580062d5b7c524c.jpg

I know this point was made by Div on the P&B Twitter account, and it’s been mocked by some...but how do these punishments sit along side video after video of the Scotland national team players doing the conga together in a hotel conference room. That was lauded (rightly) by everyone, but I didn’t see anyone too concerned about Covid regulations then. Arguably it was a far more severe breach of regulations as those players were from several different clubs/countries and the potential spread was far wider than what it would have been at a club like St. Mirren or Kilmarnock. 

Now I’m not for a second begrudging those players celebrating, in any way at all, but if social distancing applies to pre team meals and team travel, then surely it applies to the national team hours after the match had finished. As far as I’m aware special dispensation isn’t handed out to breach social distance regulations if a team qualifies for the Euros. 

That being said, it seems someone in authority at St. Mirren has been negligent in their duties to say the least. Finding it hard to believe that if players were car sharing on their way to training that Goodwin or one of the back team staff wouldn’t have had something to say about it. 

I dread to think that some teams will now downplay any future outbreaks of Covid in fear of having to forfeit a match. The morals of some club management will be tested if they are left between the choice of postponing a match and potentially forfeiting 3 points, or sweeping it under the carpet and hoping nobody notices. 

Complete sense from an individual immediately involved in the sport. Bear in mind just this week, the SPFL have given Celtic special dispensation to pack up for a week and head to Dubai in the middle of this pandemic. I would expect the same rules shall apply for their training over there.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Livi getting what is effectively 3 points given to them at the weekend, another to add to the "death by a thousand cuts" season theme.

I wish.

United are missing some youth players, they'll probably still beat us. Unless, of course, the SPFL take some quick action with this alleged team photo that has leaked...

From the gossip pages I see we are aiming to tie up Doyle-Hayes on a longer deal. I believe Connolly is also out of contract at the end of the year and I'd hope they'll be aiming to tie him up too.

From the gossip pages I see we are aiming to tie up Doyle-Hayes on a longer deal. I believe Connolly is also out of contract at the end of the year and I'd hope they'll be aiming to tie him up too.

The club are very proactive with regards to contract renewals these days which is good to see especially with younger players. It would be great to see Doyle-Hayes to stay longer, he is a classy player. I think we’d be doing well to get him an extra year but any longer than that may be out of our reach unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Getting Doyle-Hayes on a longer contract would be a brilliant bit of business, but I fear there will be plenty of clubs in his agents ear with regards to next season. I know he did have offers from English lower league teams and it was complications to do with Covid that sent him up here. Sad truth is that even most League 2 teams down south will be able to offer more money than Saints can. Excellent player though, an upgrade on Magennis who hasn’t been missed at all due to Doyle-Hayes performances. 

Getting Doyle-Hayes on a longer contract would be a brilliant bit of business, but I fear there will be plenty of clubs in his agents ear with regards to next season. I know he did have offers from English lower league teams and it was complications to do with Covid that sent him up here. Sad truth is that even most League 2 teams down south will be able to offer more money than Saints can. Excellent player though, an upgrade on Magennis who hasn’t been missed at all due to Doyle-Hayes performances. 
Take it you haven't heard of the wage cap in English league 1 and 2, that's why he's here in the first place !!!