The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The thing that scunners me a little bit with the Magennis move is that he didn’t want to stay and captain the club till at least January (when he could sign a PCA with anyone).

When he was given the captaincy there were quotes from him declaring it was ‘a dream’ to captain St.Mirren & It’s a massive honour for him and for his family. If true, then why not make the bold decision to stick around, get fit and captain the team to better results? We’re in desperate form at the moment and a show of loyalty from our club captain could’ve given everyone the boost that has been needed for a little while.

He’d have got his move in Jan or the summer anyway so I wont buy the excuse that he needed to jump at the move to Hibs as it’s an opportunity that might not have come round again.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Not having a go at you but its funny how some of our fans have done a complete turn around on Ethan. Many were happy to see him go. 

Aye, some craic.

I mentioned in here months ago that I never wanted to see him in a situation where he was a left back again and the mental strain on the lad getting hung out to dry there set him back about a year.

Chuffed the boy is getting his shot in there now.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Not having a go at you but its funny how some of our fans have done a complete turn around on Ethan. Many were happy to see him go. 

I totally agree, myself not being one of them. 

I think sometimes our supporters forget the age of the players coming through. 

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

The thing that scunners me a little bit with the Magennis move is that he didn’t want to stay and captain the club till at least January (when he could sign a PCA with anyone).

When he was given the captaincy there were quotes from him declaring it was ‘a dream’ to captain St.Mirren & It’s a massive honour for him and for his family. If true, then why not make the bold decision to stick around, get fit and captain the team to better results? We’re in desperate form at the moment and a show of loyalty from our club captain could’ve given everyone the boost that has been needed for a little while.

He’d have got his move in Jan or the summer anyway so I wont buy the excuse that he needed to jump at the move to Hibs as it’s an opportunity that might not have come round again.

I would be the same as you if it was a Killie player but from a neutral point of view, it's hard to slag a kid for not gambling on a move in Jan in the middle of a global pandemic, especially when offered a 6 year deal by a club the size of Hibs.

Even if he's on say 2k a week, that's a lot of money to ignore.

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I would be the same as you if it was a Killie player but from a neutral point of view, it's hard to slag a kid for not gambling on a move in Jan in the middle of a global pandemic, especially when offered a 6 year deal by a club the size of Hibs.

Even if he's on say 2k a week, that's a lot of money to ignore.

Totally understand the reasoning behind the move and why he's grabbed the 6yr deal at Hibs but after all the stuff spouted about 'local lad made captain' i'd have thought he'd have at least wanted to stick around a tad longer.

A real strange one having a club captain sold before he could ever captain the club :lol:

Just now, Spam_Valley said:

Totally understand the reasoning behind the move and why he's grabbed the 6yr deal at Hibs but after all the stuff spouted about 'local lad made captain' i'd have thought he'd have at least wanted to stick around a tad longer.

A real strange one having a club captain sold before he could ever captain the club :lol:

It's frustrating to lose players in this way. But, unfortunately clubs like Hibs will always be able to poach our players and we cannot compete with that, unless Tony's dreams of us packing the stadium, filling in the corners, etc, come to fruition.

At Hibs he's more likely to win silverware, play in Europe, earn more money and get a longer contract. It'd be wrong to stand in his way, and it'd be naive to expect his loyalty to be strong enough to resist that kind of offer. 

With fan ownership, we should be asking ourselves how we can grow the club and fulfil our potential. Indeed, the first question we should be asking ourselves is what is the extent of St. Mirren's potential?

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

It's frustrating to lose players in this way. But, unfortunately clubs like Hibs will always be able to poach our players and we cannot compete with that, unless Tony's dreams of us packing the stadium, filling in the corners, etc, come to fruition.

At Hibs he's more likely to win silverware, play in Europe, earn more money and get a longer contract. It'd be wrong to stand in his way, and it'd be naive to expect his loyalty to be strong enough to resist that kind of offer. 

With fan ownership, we should be asking ourselves how we can grow the club and fulfil our potential. Indeed, the first question we should be asking ourselves is what is the extent of St. Mirren's potential?

Kibble in theory should see our profits rise given maintenance costs should come down. If only we could finish mid table with the league payout reflecting that. How to get more home fans through the gate is the hard one we have been trying that for decades. Getting our salary up to a level of mid table clubs should help us to stay away from a relegation battle. Until we can up the income we will always flirt with relegation.  

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Kibble in theory should see our profits rise given maintenance costs should come down. If only we could finish mid table with the league payout reflecting that. How to get more home fans through the gate is the hard one we have been trying that for decades. Getting our salary up to a level of mid table clubs should help us to stay away from a relegation battle. Until we can up the income we will always flirt with relegation.  

Indeed, money increases the likelihood of success, success attracts fans and fans attract money. But then again Kilmarnock and Motherwell have both been reasonably successful and not really increased their fan base, or at least not by much. Can we realistically increase ours? What's our catchment area? 

I'm sure I read that Kilmarnock only attracted 6,500 crowds in their Championship winning season! Tony has said that he's trying to forge relationships with Renfrewshire businesses, in fact I think he even quoted numbers and stats. Realistically are we just looking to survive at the moment, though? 

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

4-1 is  four one job done next game bring it on QOS. Morton game will be embarrassing to them. 

I'm really not sure it will be. They've not been playing. If we win, it's expected and understandable. Any other result is basically a shock in the current context.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm really not sure it will be. They've not been playing. If we win, it's expected and understandable. Any other result is basically a shock in the current context.

I'm taking the piss mate if Thistle had a decent striker they could have buried us in the first half. 

40 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nine red dots in quick succession from this guy, on completely benign posts that have nothing to do with Falkirk. Interesting.

Nothing better than a "drive by dotting" .. ;)

Right, so, onto the football. While we all know that 4-1 was somewhat lucky, but come the QoS game that's not going to matter. We'd lost a lot of games in a row and needed to taste victory no matter how we achieved it.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Right, so, onto the football. While we all know that 4-1 was somewhat lucky, but come the QoS game that's not going to matter. We'd lost a lot of games in a row and needed to taste victory no matter how we achieved it.

We did have a few moments of genuine quality as well - hopefully the Obika goal will help his and McAllister's confidence as it was outstanding. Likewise the Connolly finish: fantastic to see a player happy not to take a touch like that. We've seen far too much hesitancy recently. A few other nice passing moves were shaping up nicely but let down by poor judgement or whatever, but the green shoots are there.

Connolly might look raw, but my god he's an exciting player. Has to be one of the fastest guys we've ever had in our squad. Struggling to think of anyone recently who covered ground like he can.