The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Goodwin in the PDE today saying that he's still got his eye out on someone special.

"We are well covered, but I would maybe look at bringing in another striker if someone special came along. If money was available that is one area we would look at.

Everywhere else , I think we are O.K. We have midfielders who can play in defence and are well covered at the back and midfield."

:blink: His interpretation of the phrase "well covered" must be different from mine.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Goodwin in the PDE today saying that he's still got his eye out on someone special.

"We are well covered, but I would maybe look at bringing in another striker if someone special came along. If money was available that is one area we would look at.

Everywhere else , I think we are O.K. We have midfielders who can play in defence and are well covered at the back and midfield."

:blink: His interpretation of the phrase "well covered" must be different from mine.

I think we are reasonably covered in defence even if it requires reshuffling regularly. Young Nick McAllister is quite highly rated and remains at the club. Perhaps cover at LB although nobody will get a look in with the way Tait is performing at the moment. 

LB: Tait, Erhahon

CB: McCarthy, Shaughnessy, Foley, Fraser, McAllister

RB: Fraser, Tait, Flynn, MacPherson

I don't think we really need another striker unless Junior is going out the door, though. I thought our main priority would be another Foley type midfielder for when he drops into defence. Early days yet but not sold on Sheron.

1 hour ago, RossC93 said:

I think we are reasonably covered in defence even if it requires reshuffling regularly. Young Nick McAllister is quite highly rated and remains at the club. Perhaps cover at LB although nobody will get a look in with the way Tait is performing at the moment. 

I don't think we really need another striker unless Junior is going out the door, though. I thought our main priority would be another Foley type midfielder for when he drops into defence. Early days yet but not sold on Sheron.

The problem with this is that you have players out of position and it leaves gaps elsewhere in the side. You move Fraser to centre back, you have to move Flynn to right back, and immediately you have to fill a gap in midfield, etc etc. Last season, in the 3-3 draw with Livi, our defence had three midfielders and a youngster playing. I'd hope JG would have learned from that. Currently, our first choice defence is good, but they are literally the only defenders we have ready for first team football. We are desperately short of cover at the back.

And please, never play Erhahon again at left back.

1 hour ago, RossC93 said:

Far too many square pegs in round holes.

Certainly with a squad of our size we need players that can play in a couple of positions, if needs be. However, they have to be good in that position.

Hendo sums it up very nicely.

Sheron is good a booting people about the pitch, but sadly not much else, so far.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

The problem with this is that you have players out of position and it leaves gaps elsewhere in the side. You move Fraser to centre back, you have to move Flynn to right back, and immediately you have to fill a gap in midfield, etc etc. Last season, in the 3-3 draw with Livi, our defence had three midfielders and a youngster playing. I'd hope JG would have learned from that. Currently, our first choice defence is good, but they are literally the only defenders we have ready for first team football. We are desperately short of cover at the back.

And please, never play Erhahon again at left back.

Reshuffling is inevitable with injuries and suspensions but like most other teams in the league, we can’t afford to have cover in every position. Goodwin has probably spent the majority of the budget getting quality first choices especially with Fraser and Shaughnessy CB and I think that’s absolutely fine. In that scenario for example, I’d be fine with Flynn RB, Fraser CB with Foley moving back and have Magennis/MacPherson moving into midfield. As in previous post though I’d like us to sign another Foley type midfielder but its nowhere near as bad as being made out. Agree on Erhahon - he’s a good young player but not a left back. Don’t think we need another striker but a CM/CB or a left back would do nicely. 

A LB that can also cover CB is the place we are needing cover, imo anyway. Perhaps Goodwin thinks if Tait gets injured or picks up a suspension he'll just change the formation to suit, well we saw the mess at McDairmid and I'd rather not.

Erhahon, and no doubt several others, can play that position but I've yet to see anyone do so with convincingly.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

he'll just change the formation to suit, well we saw the mess at McDairmid and I'd rather not.

Always like looking at "average position" maps, as good teams generally recognisable shapes and a clear system.

Yours was not good at McDiarmid.

312724519_avwragepositions.jpg.8cfddbb8f919d3d62c132bb729a0690e.jpg

FWIW you're one of the worst sides in the league in terms of "creating xG", and have been massively overperforming in terms of points, which isn't sustainable. Presumably this is a reason why Goodwin seems to be focused on improving your attack.

It's almost like this isn't already well known. We make a ton of chances, and convert very few of them while being fairly solid at the back.

It would be utter folly, though, to judge the team on one game in Perth.

Just now, Ric said:

It's almost like this isn't already well known. We make a ton of chances, and convert very few of them while being fairly solid at the back.

It would be utter folly, though, to judge the team on one game in Perth.

My point is that you make very little quality chances, which presumably isn't well known, seeing as you're claiming the opposite.

I was fucking about with things earlier, and you not only create the least amount of shots per match, you also create the worst quality of chance.

234300153_xgstmirren.jpg.7efd1a3824898add38fa6c374631ed8f.jpg

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point is that you make very little quality chances, which presumably isn't well known, seeing as you're claiming the opposite.

You see there's your problem. Presuming you know stuff.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Always like looking at "average position" maps, as good teams generally recognisable shapes and a clear system.

Yours was not good at McDiarmid.

312724519_avwragepositions.jpg.8cfddbb8f919d3d62c132bb729a0690e.jpg

FWIW you're one of the worst sides in the league in terms of "creating xG", and have been massively overperforming in terms of points, which isn't sustainable. Presumably this is a reason why Goodwin seems to be focused on improving your attack.

The winter nights must fly by.

2 hours ago, RossC93 said:

Reshuffling is inevitable with injuries and suspensions but like most other teams in the league, we can’t afford to have cover in every position. Goodwin has probably spent the majority of the budget getting quality first choices especially with Fraser and Shaughnessy CB and I think that’s absolutely fine. In that scenario for example, I’d be fine with Flynn RB, Fraser CB with Foley moving back and have Magennis/MacPherson moving into midfield. As in previous post though I’d like us to sign another Foley type midfielder but its nowhere near as bad as being made out. Agree on Erhahon - he’s a good young player but not a left back. Don’t think we need another striker but a CM/CB or a left back would do nicely. 

Ask any RC fan and they will tell you Fraser is a car crash at centre half.