The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The best thing we can say about Thorvaldsen (sic?) is that he will be a great St Mirren quiz question in future.

Name the last Icelandic player to play for St Mirren.

Nope sorry, Guni is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

The best thing we can say about Thorvaldsen (sic?) is that he will be a great St Mirren quiz question in future.

Guni would still have been wrong even without him.

The guy before him lasted even less time and less appearances than Thorvaldsson.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

This might be a stupid question - will he count towards your loan signing quota or is it fine as long as he doesn't appear? 

He appeared twice, so yeah.

We've only had him and Sheron on loan anyway so we're well below.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Is this a trick question ? Has Marc McAusland  been given Icelandic citizenship  ?  Worked for a Norwegian company as I was employed out of Norway Norwegian citizenship was there if I wanted it after being employed for over 5 years. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought international loans didn't count anyway, as they are technically transfers? I thought loan limits only referred to domestic loans. 

Guni would still have been wrong even without him.
The guy before him lasted even less time and less appearances than Thorvaldsson.

Please, I know all about Hreinn Hringsson ( [emoji854])... I was just pointing out what your average Saints fan (IOBS, McAusland?) might answer.

Need to get you involved in the next lockdown Saints quiz, probably October sometime.

I take it none of the young guys we promoted can play at the back? What happened to Nick McAllister, do we still him?

Ideally we'd be able to sign a young defender with promise who would provide back-up and play the odd game and we can develop him for the future.

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

I take it none of the young guys we promoted can play at the back? What happened to Nick McAllister, do we still him?

Ideally we'd be able to sign a young defender with promise who would provide back-up and play the odd game and we can develop him for the future.

Interestingly McAllister played in one of our pre-season games (against Hibs?). I'm sure he played a BetFred cup game a while back, too. No idea why he's not made the jump up, maybe he'd be drafted in if Baird was to be shifted and we didn't bring in a replacement.

I think we are taking a gamble not having cover for Tait, unless maybe Fraser can cover there (albeit that leaves the question of filling RB but we've got more cover for that). I'd like to see a loan player that is capable of covering either fullback position and if Baird is moved on similar cover in the centre.

Edited by Ric

52 minutes ago, Lex said:

Please, I know all about Hreinn Hringsson ( emoji854.png)... I was just pointing out what your average Saints fan (IOBS, McAusland?) might answer.

Need to get you involved in the next lockdown Saints quiz, probably October sometime.

10 out of 10 for IBOS but everyone knows that anyway so maybe 2 out of 10. Never heard of the Icelandic player to be honest. You can get Icelandic citizenship if you have been In Iceland working for 5 years. That was the thought behind the answer.  Mark can have dual citizenship.  

Edited by ZingaliMan

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Plus is it not pretty much unlimited if they are from outside Scotland? I mind Gretna went on a loan signing spree all those years ago.

If we're looking for a young loan player from England to replace him, then there should be plenty of options available.

Although, must be difficult for a young player on his own, living the way that players have to at the moment, in an unfamiliar setting.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunno. I thought it was changing but not sure of what to. 

A maximum of six players can now be signed on loan by any one side in the coming season - up from four previously. And clubs will also be allowed to loan two players from any team in the same division - instead of just one -and four from sides in different levels of the Scottish league - up from two.Jul 21, 2020

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Jim Goodwin today said that he may well be dabbling in the league of Ireland for another couple of Players. 😉

I'd be shocked if he wasn't looking there. 

Equally, I'd be shocked if any of the players he was looking at came to fruition in this window as LOI players are all contracted until January so we'd be looking at a transfer fee for any we'd want to get just now. 

I watched the first half of Bohemians vs St. Pats last week waiting on our game to start and there were one or two players in the Bohemians side that looked quite tidy. 

Talking of Irish football, albeit in the North, and with a nod to someone once of this parish, I see Kearny guided Coleraine to a win over Maribor. I spotted there was a live stream on the BBC last night, and while I didn't watch much I did see a well kent face on the touchline.

That's a very decent result for them. Maribor have huckled bigger teams than Coleraine out of Europe.

48 minutes ago, Ric said:

Talking of Irish football, albeit in the North, and with a nod to someone once of this parish, I see Kearny guided Coleraine to a win over Maribor. I spotted there was a live stream on the BBC last night, and while I didn't watch much I did see a well kent face on the touchline.

That's a very decent result for them. Maribor have huckled bigger teams than Coleraine out of Europe.

It was a result most Scottish clubs wouldn't have pulled off. 

Some achievement.