The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Think I'll pass. I'm surprised he managed to fill 17 minutes. 

He's spent more time whining and moaning about us since he was sacked than he did managing us.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Lack of good centre forwards in Scotland is nothing new at international level.

No Scottish player has scored over 20 goals for the national team since Kenny Dalglish chucked it in the mid 80s.

Only 4 players in the history of our game have scored over 20 goals for Scotland. It's a pretty awful statistic.

If it makes you feel any better we haven’t been any better in this, and we have 324 million more people.

29 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

If it makes you feel any better we haven’t been any better in this, and we have 324 million more people.

I can pick 3 US players who have scored more goals each in the last 20 years than anyone in a Scotland shirt has scored, ever.

Altidore, Donovan and Dempsey. Donovan alone got about 60-70 international goals.

OK, this is offset by playing a lot of far inferior teams in the CONCACAF games but even then, it's still a far better record than any Scottish national striker.

Edited by djchapsticks

Stubbs spent a lot of time moaning about the structure of the club, and how there was no one doing any recruitment or sports science. Should have been pointed out that those errors were corrected soon after with Gus coming back as Technical Director and Junior Mendes brought in on the Sports Science side of things. 

Edited by ulysses

2 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Stubbs spent a lot of time moaning about the structure of the club, and how there was no one doing any recruitment or sports science. Should have been pointed out that those errors were corrected soon after with Gus coming back as Technical Director and Junior Mendes brought in on the Sports Science side of things. 

We also had a recruitment structure at the time. You can argue about whether they were ignored or not, but there was a guy called Martin Christie (who may even have ended up posting on here) who was in charge of the scouting network and he had a few other guys working for him, who I think also posted online. Stubbs may have found them useless, but its wrong to say we didn't have anyone on recruitment.

Yet another interview from him where he spends half his time saying he doesn't have hard feelings. It's almost as if he's trying to convince himself more than the listener.

So I notice that Chic Young is on the show. I'm not going to listen to it, but does Chic provide any pushback on Stubbs' claims?

If not, we can pretty much draw a line under any pretence that he is a fan.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

We also had a recruitment structure at the time. You can argue about whether they were ignored or not, but there was a guy called Martin Christie (who may even have ended up posting on here) who was in charge of the scouting network and he had a few other guys working for him, who I think also posted online. Stubbs may have found them useless, but its wrong to say we didn't have anyone on recruitment.

Yet another interview from him where he spends half his time saying he doesn't have hard feelings. It's almost as if he's trying to convince himself more than the listener.

Aye protesting too much I think. St.Mirren didn't stuff his reputation, he did. What a load of dross he signed. Would make an interesting debate, who signed the worst players? John Coughlin, Ian Murray, Tommy Craig or Stubbs?

Claims he wanted the McGinn money to improve the squad and we wouldn't pony up as he hadn't yet left Hibs.

Said the supporters night was full of negative fans.

Tried to sign a player from Derby who was on £25k per week.

Realised Fitzy mentioned top 4 back in 2018 (as he does) and as new manager, didn't even bother his hole to ask him about it.

Claims he has no animosity a suspicious number of times.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Aye protesting too much I think. St.Mirren didn't stuff his reputation, he did. What a load of dross he signed. Would make an interesting debate, who signed the worst players? John Coughlin, Ian Murray, Tommy Craig or Stubbs?

Murray's signings on paper were decent. Shankland, Langfield, Webster and Keith Watson all ended up having decent first seasons in the end. They were just pish under Murray. Carswell (who on paper seemed a decent bit of business) and Conlan were the only two who were truly atrocious.

Coughlin, I don't remember much of his signings (though I want to say he was responsible for Kevin Twaddle and Andy Dow) but a few of that 2003-04 squad was still about when we won the league in 2006, so he gets a pass too. Just a very poor manager.

So it's Tommy vs Alan in the shite battles.

Tommy Craig:

image.png.66b2bcc0f11d4d625042d6474f1c2f13.png

Fucking grim reading there all round. Tesselaar was alright. Osbourne was made of glass and the rest are the stuff of nightmares.

Alan Stubbs:

image.png.efcf1cf7380f8203e15e3556a74b580e.png

I mean overall the quality of footballer is slightly better. But those who were bad were some of the worst ever. Heaton, King, Kpekawa, NBM are some of the worst I've ever seen in a Saints shirt and defy the description of professional footballer.

Edwards ran fast but wasn't actually any good. It was hilarious that he actually nearly won Hearts the cup last season and is now playing in League 1 with Burton Albion.

Hodson, Jones, Willock and Coulson get passes for actually being footballers but it just didn't work out.

Overall, I'd say Tommy Craig did some of the consistently worst business for us that I've ever seen but Stubbs poorest signings were the worst of any incomings between the two. He passed up Greg Stewart for Brock-Madsen FFS. 

He also really should have no complaints about a lack of financial backing and support when he shelled out £75k, our biggest transfer fee in 30 years, on a boy who without a word of a lie, would not get a game down the racecourse on a Saturday afternoon. That's not exaggeration either. He was out of his depth against Queens Park and Spartans and now plays regional football in Australia.

We didn't need 11 new players, we need 4 or 5 good players and not all loanees. Stubbs fucked it up completely.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, championlivi said:

Is Magennis injured? Always does well for you boys against us. What do you reckon your line up will look like next Saturday? Based on friendlies we could be going with a 3-5-1-1 that we used in spells last year

He done his cruciate ligaments at Ibrox. He should be back in September.

I see the BBC are soft soaping Stubbs, as usual.

"Having signed 13 players as St Mirren boss, former Celtic defender Stubbs was dismissed after three defeats in their first four top-flight games of 2018-19."

They seemed to have forgotten to mention dreadful displays in the cup, unable to beat either Queens Park or Spartans, and he was dismissed after 4 defeats in their first 5 league games. Dundee, Rangers, Aberdeen, Livi and Hearts. The winner at Dundee as I'm sure we all remember was a gift from Jack Hamilton.

Just now, Ric said:

I see the BBC are soft soaping Stubbs, as usual.

"Having signed 13 players, most of whom were utter shit, as St Mirren boss, former Celtic defender Stubbs was dismissed after three defeats in their first four top-flight games of 2018-19."

They seemed to have forgotten to mention dreadful displays in the cup, unable to beat either Queens Park or Spartans, and he was dismissed after 4 defeats in their first 5 league games. Dundee, Rangers, Aberdeen, Livi and Hearts. The winner at Dundee as I'm sure we all remember was a gift from Jack Hamilton.

Edited to preserve journalistic integrity.:)

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He done his cruciate ligaments at Ibrox. He should be back in September.

Cheers for that, shame as he was doing well.

Do you guys have a LB yet? Seem to have good options in wide areas, think you could go something like

Alnwick

Flynn - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Tait

McAllister - Foley - Sheron - Durmus

Morias - Obika

4 minutes ago, championlivi said:

Cheers for that, shame as he was doing well.

Do you guys have a LB yet? Seem to have good options in wide areas, think you could go something like

Alnwick

Flynn - McCarthy - Shaughnessy - Tait

McAllister - Foley - Sheron - Durmus

Morias - Obika

You're not far off, though Flynn did his cruciate as well and won't be back for a bit.

If we can find a left back, we'll switch Tait to the right. I also suspect Morias would start on the bench in favour of an extra midfielder - probably Cammy McPherson. That's quite a negative middle three but Gus McPherson's transfer strategies loom large over our squad.

There is talk of us going 3-5-2 but that'd be crazy against Livingston, IMO, and also we don't have any wingbacks available at all. It would totally strangle Durmus to do that to him.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, Ric said:

If the Norwich lad signs then that'll fill in the LB with Tait moving over the RB.

Still not sure that he will sign though.

I would like to think that if he doesn't sign, then we have another target that we've been working on, that we will sign before next Saturday.

If Flynn was fit, I'd be happy with Tait at LB.

However, going without a LB next Saturday, in our current situation, gives me the fear.