The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

As most can imagine, Stokes not turning up is just grist for my mill, however even though I have a pretty dim view of the chap I don't believe he just never turned up without telling anyone. He might have completely dingied it, but I'm more of a mind that he spoke to Stubbs and said he was waiting on something or other and wouldn't immediately join up with the team. Perhaps Stubbs laid out the wages and starting opportunities and they mutually agreed that a deal wasn't to be done.

Either way, and even though it's clear Stokes is his own worst enemy (well him and Elvis), I think it's unlikely absolutely no contact has been made between him and the club.

On another note, I see we've entered a colt team (oo-er, missus) into the Challenge Cup, ironically drawing another colt team (Killie) in the first round.

Now I was against colt teams in this competition when we were full time participants so I'm conflicted regarding our participation this season.

What are everyone else's views on this?

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

On another note, I see we've entered a colt team (oo-er, missus) into the Challenge Cup, ironically drawing another colt team (Killie) in the first round.

Now I was against colt teams in this competition when we were full time participants so I'm conflicted regarding our participation this season.

Screen-Shot-2018-04-19-at-12.54.48-9fe4f6e.png

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Colt teams are shite. Northern Irish diddies being shipped in are shite. Welsh diddies being shipped in are shite. English low level shite being shipped in is shite. Neil Doncaster is shite. The Petrofac Irn Bru Bells Ramsdens B&Q Diddy Challenge Cup is utter, utter shite.

That’s my opinion.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Colt teams are shite. Northern Irish diddies being shipped in are shite. Welsh diddies being shipped in are shite. English low level shite being shipped in is shite. Neil Doncaster is shite. The Petrofac Irn Bru Bells Ramsdens B&Q Diddy Challenge Cup is utter, utter shite.

That’s my opinion.

I don't mind the inclusion of teams from other FAs, it harks back to the old Texaco cup, but I understand why people don't like the idea.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but what is our colt team made up of? U18s, U21s?

Edited by Buddist Monk

I don't have much interest in the Irn Bru Cup. Probably slightly more interest with the inclusion of Irish and Welsh sides if I'm honest, but not that much. Colt sides are something I'm not really in favour of either. This competition is designed for smaller clubs to have a chance at winning some silverware and getting some more revenue, so if it does that, who am I to grumble about it?

I'm not a fan of colt teams in the tournament, but if the offer is there for us we should take advantage of it. If we beat Kilmarnock's colt team and get a draw against someone decent then it will be a good experience for the younger players.

I actually quite like the Irn Bru Cup, 2006 and 2017 finals were both great days out. I also think the addition of Welsh/NI teams has been alright. 

I don't think it's an offer or an option. Think you have to do it when you're in the Premiership.

It'll be guys like O'Keefe and Erhahon who play, although you might be allowed the odd over age player.

It's always been seen as a diddy cup but there was value because for some teams it was their best chance of a cup final. Look what it meant to Dumbarton last season. However, the changes mean its even more of a joke than it was and allowing in fifth tier English teams is taking the piss. At least the other invited teams are in their country's top leagues.

I don't think it's an offer or an option. Think you have to do it when you're in the Premiership.

It'll be guys like O'Keefe and Erhahon who play, although you might be allowed the odd over age player.

It's always been seen as a diddy cup but there was value because for some teams it was their best chance of a cup final. Look what it meant to Dumbarton last season. However, the changes mean its even more of a joke than it was and allowing in fifth tier English teams is taking the piss. At least the other invited teams are in their country's top leagues.

What level did our last 3 signings come from [emoji14]
I agree though it is a diddy cup and given most Colt teams get papped out early I don't see how any other teams can be considered weaker.

2 minutes ago, Torfason said:

What level did our last 3 signings come from emoji14.png
I agree though it is a diddy cup and given most Colt teams get papped out early I don't see how any other teams can be considered weaker.

The final is a good day out it has to be said played like a proper final. Colt teams in it is a joke though you would think some early rounds must be a financial loss to some clubs. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Doesn’t matter if they’re in their top leagues, they’re invited. Why not invite New York Red Bulls, at least it would be a great away day. Maybe see if Melbourne Victory are up for it, or Vancouver Whitecaps... show a bit of imagination Cockwomble, you cnut. Who the fcuk wants to play TNS away in this shite? Last season, I wanted St Mirren to get gubbed out of this guff, ASAP. 

Edited by pozbaird