The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Dream on.

You're good, at present, but not that good. If you were you'd have put three or four past us yesterday. 

We scored and decided to sit back all game, it worked.

Who at St Mirren would get into the Livi team?

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We scored and decided to sit back all game, it worked.

Who at St Mirren would get into the Livi team?

On current form not many. Alnwick I think would, Tait and Marcus Fraser maybe. I think Obika is better than Thomas as well and Brophy is better than Robinson, albeit not on current form. 

I see Livingston much more as a team than having a group of particularly talented players. I don't mean that as a criticism. 

Take Josh Mullin for example, struggling to get in the Ross County team but has played really well since going back to Livingston. Other players like Devlin, and Forrest I doubt would've been in high demand from other Premier League teams but have done well for Livingston. Reilly and Longridge will do you a turn as well, I've no doubt. 

Every season since you've come up you've lost some of your best player but it hasn't affected you. You always seem to bring in guys that do a job. It must be down to the club, presumably Martindale. He can spot a player and he gets them playing well as a unit. I envy it. 

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

On current form not many. Alnwick I think would, Tait and Marcus Fraser maybe. I think Obika is better than Thomas as well and Brophy is better than Robinson, albeit not on current form. 

I see Livingston much more as a team than having a group of particularly talented players. I don't mean that as a criticism. 

Take Josh Mullin for example, struggling to get in the Ross County team but has played really well since going back to Livingston. Other players like Devlin, and Forrest I doubt would've been in high demand from other Premier League teams but have done well for Livingston. Reilly and Longridge will do you a turn as well, I've no doubt. 

Every season since you've come up you've lost some of your best player but it hasn't affected you. You always seem to bring in guys that do a job. It must be down to the club, presumably Martindale. He can spot a player and he gets them playing well as a unit. I envy it. 

I'd say 

Alnwick = Stryjek

Fraser < Devlin
McCarthy < Guthrie
Shaughnessy < Ambrose
Tait < Serrano

Erhahon < Holt/Bartley
Doyle-Hayes < Pittman
MacPherson < Sibbald
Mason < Mullin/Forrest

Brophy = Robinson
Obika > Reilly

Forrest had a good few offers in the Premiership, as did Devlin (also a few down south). 

We genuinely have a few bench players that would start for St Mirren like Forrest, Lawson (Togolese International LB) and possibly Ciaron Brown/Fitzwater

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

I'd say 

Alnwick = Stryjek

Fraser < Devlin
McCarthy < Guthrie
Shaughnessy < Ambrose
Tait < Serrano

Erhahon < Holt/Bartley
Doyle-Hayes < Pittman
MacPherson < Sibbald
Mason < Mullin/Forrest

Brophy = Robinson
Obika > Reilly

Forrest had a good few offers in the Premiership, as did Devlin (also a few down south). 

We genuinely have a few bench players that would start for St Mirren like Forrest, Lawson (Togolese International LB) and possibly Ciaron Brown/Fitzwater

I wouldn't argue too much with that. We both watch more of our own clubs and probably have a tendency to lean towards our own players. I'm assuming you wouldn't swap Mullin for anyone in the Ross County team, despite him not getting a game for them this season. I'm not convinced I'd swap Forrest for Durmus or McAllister, who aren't regular starters for us. Again, that's maybe down to not having seen as much of Forrest, and my own bias. 

What's not in question is that, at the moment, Livingston are a better side than St Mirren. Martindale is a great story as well, inspiring even and I'd like to se Livingston beat St Johnstone in the final because of that. 

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I wouldn't argue too much with that. We both watch more of our own clubs and probably have a tendency to lean towards our own players. I'm assuming you wouldn't swap Mullin for anyone in the Ross County team, despite him not getting a game for them this season. I'm not convinced I'd swap Forrest for Durmus or McAllister, who aren't regular starters for us. Again, that's maybe down to not having seen as much of Forrest, and my own bias. 

What's not in question is that, at the moment, Livingston are a better side than St Mirren. Martindale is a great story as well, inspiring even and I'd like to se Livingston beat St Johnstone in the final because of that. 

From the sounds of it he'd fell out with the team there and was home sick. When he'd left Ross County fans still counted him as one of their best players. 

When it comes to Forrest, he's in and out the team but already scored into double figures for us. He's got 11 goals and 2 assists in 1,814 minutes of football so far. 165 minutes per goal. Durmus has 1 goal and 1 assist in 951 minutes, McAllister only has 5 assists in 834 minutes. Due to that I'd put Forrest clear by a distance.

Mullin also sitting on 5 goals, 8 assists in 1,377 minutes of football. A goal every 275, an involvement every 106 minutes

Edited by ATLIS

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

From the sounds of it he'd fell out with the team there and was home sick. When he'd left Ross County fans still counted him as one of their best players. 

When it comes to Forrest, he's in and out the team but already scored into double figures for us. He's got 11 goals and 2 assists in 1,814 minutes of football so far. 165 minutes per goal. Durmus has 1 goal and 1 assist in 951 minutes, McAllister only has 5 assists in 834 minutes. Due to that I'd put Forrest clear by a distance.

Mullin also sitting on 5 goals, 8 assists in 1,377 minutes of football. A goal every 275, an involvement every 106 minutes

I'm not going to go and dig up stats like minutes and goals or whatever because I can't be arsed. 

Certainly with Forrest I think you're being quite selective. You've only considered this season, and he scored a lot of goals in the league Cup group stages presumably against poorer sides. Durmus bagged a few for us in a short season last year and McAllister has chipped in with goals too over a few seasons. Don't worry about going to check for me, I don't really care. 

I'm not saying they are definitely better than Forrest. I'm saying I'm not convinced that Forrest is better than them. You obviously are, which is great for you as he plays for your team. 

Livingston are a side who are greater than the sum of their parts. Not meaning this disparagingly of disrespectfully but it seems to have been the case for a long time.

Certainly, not much between both clubs over 3 games this season. Only 1-0 victories either way suggests very little between either side but Livi were clearly better than us on the day yesterday. Amazing what a new manager can do but I think it's every bit as disingenuous to suggest that no St. Mirren player would get into that Livi side as much as it would be to say vice versa.

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Jim Goodwin trying to get Lewis Morgan on loan PDE. 

Wow.

Might be a bit of a short loan - doesn't their season start fairly soon? On the flip side, he needs exposure asap if he's got half a chance of going to the Euros.

ETA: I really can't se it happening. He's got a new manager and surely he'll want to be right in his face in the first few weeks.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I'll be honest, I'd expect us to be down the list when it comes to picking him up on loan.

That said, if there is any truth to the rumour, maybe he wants to come home and is looking for somewhere to train, not sure if IM would allow him out on loan in case of injury though. He was quite a regular in the team.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Might be a bit of a short loan - doesn't their season start fairly soon? On the flip side, he needs exposure asap if he's got half a chance of going to the Euros.

It's been shifted back to the start of April this year.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'll be honest, I'd expect us to be down the list when it comes to picking him up on loan.

That said, if there is any truth to the rumour, maybe he wants to come home and is looking for somewhere to train, not sure if IM would allow him out on loan in case of injury though. He was quite a regular in the team.

It's been shifted back to the start of April this year.

Ah ok, cheers.

I'd read a lot of good things about him - seems he's been a qualified success so far. Also, you'd imagine, given the atypical wage set-up they have over there, that he'd be ideal for them in that he's a good performer without being a megastar/on giant wages (you'd imagine.)

10 minutes ago, Torfason said:

The Bebeto story from that season is great too. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/1213708.stm

The quote from Hendrie when asked about Bebeto is brilliant. "Our defender Tommy Turner is proof that some players can play in the first team at 37, but some players can't." 

Also wild that we were trying to get Daniel Amokachi, who was a PSG at the time. 

Instead we ended up with Fenton, Renfrum and Moussa Dagnogo.