djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2020/21 Top Four/Six Party Thread

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

A wee bit more on JDH and the fact that he's suspended for the semi-final.

Jim Goodwin updates St Mirren fans on contract talks with Jake Doyle-Hayes | HeraldScotland

Means he will be ok for the final.

I enjoy watching the graphic on the title race to see Hamilton and Motherwell rise up the table and then go back down again. Is that wrong?

Edited by Yflab

5 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Means he will be ok for the final.

I enjoy watching the graphic on the title race to see Hamilton and Motherwell rise up the table and then go back down again. Is that wrong?

Good spot. Dropped like a stone.

I hadn't noticed that.:lol:

If people want a proper sized version of that, and without The Herald's plethora of Project Fear bullshit on the side bar, you can just view the page direct..

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/4950575/embed

Edit: In case you didn't realise this, you can select the week to display by clicking the Week XX header.

Edited by Ric

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

If people want a proper sized version of that, and without The Herald's plethora of Project Fear bullshit on the side bar, you can just view the page direct..

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/4950575/embed

Edit: In case you didn't realise this, you can select the week to display by clicking the Week XX header.

Even more amusing in full size mode.:lol:

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Even more amusing in full size mode.:lol:

Never mind that. Chromecast it to your widescreen TV

I've just been watching the first 45 mins of the Celtic v Livingston game, as I refuse to pay £17.50 for a stream. We have our work cut out next weekend, as Livingston really pressed Celtic, who're admittedly weakened, and created a number of chances. :(

Watching the St Johnstone game, it’s really obvious our midfield isn’t good enough to play 2 upfront. They don’t impose themselves enough and the game just passes them by, we have plenty of strikers but until we can strengthen the middle of the park, we will need to stick with one up top.

As I mentioned last week, we are crying out for a creative midfielder.

As I mentioned last week, we are crying out for a creative midfielder.

I disagree, we are crying out for Goodwin to get the best out of the very capable creative players we have at our disposal.

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I disagree, we are crying out for Goodwin to get the best out of the very capable creative players we have at our disposal.

Agree. For example, we have a guy who won us numerous points last season in Durmus, warming the bench and barely getting a sniff - while we try to squeeze a hapless "target man" into his natural position. Absolutely baffling. Granted, Durmus didn't have a great time of it early in the season, but he's made a difference coming on in recent games and is a goal threat. In fact, Durmus has scored more at this level than Erwin in the last two seasons, and that's with him being a bit-part player this year.

I find it unacceptable that we have players who clearly don’t match other teams work rate. 

Why cant we roll the sleeves up and match the opposition work rate. It’s never going to go all your own way in games. But at least show some desire and hard work ethic If we aren’t firing on all cylinders. 

Agree. For example, we have a guy who won us numerous points last season in Durmus, warming the bench and barely getting a sniff - while we try to squeeze a hapless "target man" into his natural position. Absolutely baffling. Granted, Durmus didn't have a great time of it early in the season, but he's made a difference coming on in recent games and is a goal threat. In fact, Durmus has scored more at this level than Erwin in the last two seasons, and that's with him being a bit-part player this year.
I think covid has affected these players much more than we realise.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think covid has affected these players much more than we realise.

Fair comment, but Durmus has been involved in every matchday squad since late November - barring Killie when he supposedly had a neck injury - and has started games in that period, as well as coming off the bench in most of them, so I'm not sure it's an excuse in his case.

I don't deny that there may be long-term effects from the illness, but he's looked sharp when introduced in recent weeks. Regardless, he's not the only one who seems to be down the pecking order at the moment.

What gets me is the mystifying formations. Maybe a 4-4-2 would have been suicidal, but at least everyone on the park would be playing in their correct positions. Erwin hasn't been great for us, but we saw signs of something last week, so he gets shunted out wide? It's absolutely fucking bonkers.

I know we've joked about the tombola tactics, but I really do wonder how these line-ups are getting picked. We've got enough options across the park to have everyone in their right positions.