The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

McGrath is the creative player in the team but he needs help. The 4-4-2 didn't work yesterday - midfield sat far too deep and we had no width. Cammy, unusually, kept playing the ball back to JDH when Jake had just passed to him. The midfield have to pass forward and support the front. Tait is hopeless on his own on the left - he needs Durmus in front of him.

I would revert back to the 4231 that got our best displays this season with McGrath behind Brophy and keep it on the deck. If Ethan starts he has to play a bit further forward and not in line with Jake.

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

When you put it like that, though... How we feeling about McGrath in the middle alongside Ethan (or whoever)?

He's absolutely got the work rate, is great at moving the ball along, works well in tight spaces... I'd be tempted to try it, tbh.

McGrath has been ploughing a lone furrow all season. He's definitely a player, but he needs someone playing next to him, who fits my description in my earlier post IMO.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Big money move for Brophy and asking the fans to pay a fine? 
Good to see St Mirren looking after their finances....

St.Mirren aren't asking anyone to pay their fine.

Reading not your strong point?

11 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

Go fund me page to help the club pay the Covid fine 

https://gofund.me/72bd79ad

Club make a royal arse of it and someone thinks it’s a good idea for the fans to bail them out? Fans pay enough into the club, especially in these current circumstances.

10k isn’t an astronomical amount for the club to pay.

You’re off your nut if you pay anything into that fund. 

37 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Club make a royal arse of it and someone thinks it’s a good idea for the fans to bail them out? Fans pay enough into the club, especially in these current circumstances.

I'm 'off my nut' then? 

3 hours ago, Spam_Valley said:

Why not ? I’ve already donated money towards it. They’re only asking for £5 or £10, most guys would piss ten times that amount against a wall. If folk want to help out then fair enough but don’t berate anyone willing to help.

3 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I'm 'off my nut' then? 

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Why not ? I’ve already donated money towards it. They’re only asking for £5 or £10, most guys would piss ten times that amount against a wall. If folk want to help out then fair enough but don’t berate anyone willing to help.

Exactly. I used to spend £8 per day on fags...literally paying to kill myself. I'm pleased to be able to help the club out at a time like this. 

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Big money move for Brophy and asking the fans to pay a fine? 
Good to see St Mirren looking after their finances....

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

St.Mirren aren't asking anyone to pay their fine.

Reading not your strong point?

4 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Killie fans raised 10K yesterday to bail out your clubs fine. 

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The ooft is strong with this one.

Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Changing our shape to accomodate Brophy backfired yesterday. We need to revert back for next week.  We also need a more creative midfielder in. Defensively we are fine but Taits lack of pace is getting exposed more often now. 

The formation simply did not work - the players did not seem to know what they were supposed to do.

I really like Tait however he was trying to be left back and left winger yesterday and considering he is very right footed and exposed he had a terrible game. He is no wing back. All his crosses were straight to their keeper and he more often passed inside and backwards (with his right foot) than forwards. When he has Ilkay in front of him he is far more effective. And yes the old formation where the players know what they are supposed to be doing is required next week.

Use the amount you ‘piss away’ towards the charitable foundation or youth academy rather than toward a fine the club have been issued for blatant arrogance toward and the breaching of Covid rules that all clubs agreed to at the beginning of the campaign.

It’s one that the club can and should pay pretty easily without help from any outside source.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Use the amount you ‘piss away’ towards the charitable foundation or youth academy rather than toward a fine the club have been issued for blatant arrogance toward and the breaching of Covid rules that all clubs agreed to at the beginning of the campaign.

It’s one that the club can and should pay pretty easily without help from any outside source.

I don't tell you how to spend your money...